EllaC

Translations for the I-129F Petition

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I have a question about certified translations. We're about to file our I-129F and want to add evidence of ongoing relationship as well. My fiance is the USC, he knows English better than me and he wonders if he can translate a few emails that we want to add to the petition without being a certified translator. He could add a certification just like the one on the USCIS website:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

My fiance will certify that he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. Can he do that? Someone once asked that. And I was completely sure they have to be translated by a certified translator and notarized. But now I'm a bit confused. Could you give me a little advice?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sunshine13

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have a question about certified translations. We're about to file our I-129F and want to add evidence of ongoing relationship as well. My fiance is the USC, he knows English better than me and he wonders if he can translate a few emails that we want to add to the petition without being a certified translator. He could add a certification just like the one on the USCIS website:

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Date Typed Name

Address

My fiance will certify that he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. Can he do that? Someone once asked that. And I was completely sure they have to be translated by a certified translator and notarized. But now I'm a bit confused. Could you give me a little advice?

Thanks in advance!

The form above is all that is needed to comply & is in fact the certification. You dont need a notary.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Paraguay
Timeline

I was wondering about this too, however, I was wondering if I sent in e-mails that were automatically translated by Google Translate (you wouldn't be able to tell), if this would bypass the need for certification. I mean if Google Translate, translates it poorly (it sometimes does), how can they tell the difference if a translation program was used or if someone just has poor English writing skills? All they need is the gist of it, if we're talking about e-mails, right?

Paraguay2010076-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Date Typed Name

Address

Thanks in advance!

mine were translated by a certified translator and notarized.

Timeline

E-mails are not required evidence for the I-129F....

I know that, they're not required. But we'll add them to our petition anyway. As evidence of ongoing relationship. :) We're sending just a few, 5 to 10. I'm aware of the fact that the most important proof for the petition is showing you've met at least once in the past two years. And we have all the proof we need. We're just 'front-loading'... for our peace of mind. :P

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know that, they're not required. But we'll add them to our petition anyway. As evidence of ongoing relationship. :) We're sending just a few, 5 to 10. I'm aware of the fact that the most important proof for the petition is showing you've met at least once in the past two years. And we have all the proof we need. We're just 'front-loading'... for our peace of mind. :P

Are you worried about the Bucharest consulate for some reason?

FWIW, your fiance(e) if competent in both languages... can in fact do the translations

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I doubt they'd be fine with him translating them himself. In the US and in Romania a notary cannot certify documents for their own personal legal use. My fiancee is a certified translator but we still had to go to someone else for her docs in order for a notary to certify them.

Timeline

I doubt they'd be fine with him translating them himself. In the US and in Romania a notary cannot certify documents for their own personal legal use. My fiancee is a certified translator but we still had to go to someone else for her docs in order for a notary to certify them.

Yes, but I was talking about emails. I wasn't talking about documents ;), such as birth certificates, police records or sth like that.

Edited by Sunshine13

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Timeline

No, I understood that, but you were talking about trying to make them "legal" by doing a notary type certification. Self certification probably won't work.

I wasn't trying to make them legal. :) But just to declare that the translation is accurate. Never mind, because I'm having my emails translated by someone certified. ;)

And oh... the example on the USCIS website is not for notarization, it's just for translation. ;)

Edited by Sunshine13

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hundreds of people on this site alone have done exactly what the OP is asking about.... For USCIS purposes it is OK!

YMMV

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

No, I understood that, but you were talking about trying to make them "legal" by doing a notary type certification. Self certification probably won't work.

A notary simply acknowleges the signature on the document & has nothing to do with the content.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.