12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

How do I find details about the process for a K2? I know what to do up to the point when the K1 (and the K2) are issued. But what happens next?

Do I follow the same steps as the K1 once my fiancee and her daughter enter the country? i.e... Do we apply for EAD, AOS, SSN, etc. for the daughter at the same time that we apply for my fiancee?

What about if the daughter follows my fiancee at a later date?

Also... The daughter wants to go to college in the US... She is taking the SAT + the TOEFL + applying to universities in Texas... But I was wondering if she could go to college with a K2 visa??

Thanks in advance

Dec. 28, 2009... NOA 1

Dec. 31, 2009... Touched

May 12, 2010... Nice guy at the USCIS mercifully sent a Service Request to the VSC to inquire about our petition

May 27, 2010... Received an e-mail stating that the VSC received the Service Request. Unfortunately, the e-mail also states that the processing time for service requests is 3 MONTHS!!

June 28, 2010... Heard from my senator that the USCIS is going to send me a RFE on July 1 asking for a certified copy of my birth certificate. Why do they have to wait until July 1 to ask for this??

July 13, 2010... Received an e-mail from the VSC explaining the delay in processing our petition. Apparently, the USCIS had put on hold all petitions from US citizens born with Puerto Rican birth certificates (like me). On July 1, USCIS headquarters finally gave clearance for these petitions to be processed.

July 26, 2010... Touch

July 27, 2010... Received text message and e-mail stating that our petition was approved on July 26!! We finally received our NOA 2!!

July 31, 2010... NVC received our approved petition

August 2, 2010... Received paper copy of our NOA2

August 4, 2010... Received letter from NVC confirming receipt of our approved petition

August 13, 2010... US embassy in Brazil received the approved petition

August 23, 2010... Missuzu received Packet 3/4

October 19, 2010... Interview... VISA APPROVED!!!

November 4, 2010... Missuzu received her passport with visa

December 27, 2010... POE... Houston, Texas

December 28, 2010... We got married!

Timeline

TTT

Dec. 28, 2009... NOA 1

Dec. 31, 2009... Touched

May 12, 2010... Nice guy at the USCIS mercifully sent a Service Request to the VSC to inquire about our petition

May 27, 2010... Received an e-mail stating that the VSC received the Service Request. Unfortunately, the e-mail also states that the processing time for service requests is 3 MONTHS!!

June 28, 2010... Heard from my senator that the USCIS is going to send me a RFE on July 1 asking for a certified copy of my birth certificate. Why do they have to wait until July 1 to ask for this??

July 13, 2010... Received an e-mail from the VSC explaining the delay in processing our petition. Apparently, the USCIS had put on hold all petitions from US citizens born with Puerto Rican birth certificates (like me). On July 1, USCIS headquarters finally gave clearance for these petitions to be processed.

July 26, 2010... Touch

July 27, 2010... Received text message and e-mail stating that our petition was approved on July 26!! We finally received our NOA 2!!

August 4, 2010... Received letter from NVC confirming receipt of our approved petition

Timeline

Can anyone help?

Dec. 28, 2009... NOA 1

Dec. 31, 2009... Touched

July 26, 2010... Touch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i dont know how it works if the K2 arrives with the K1..

i have a k1 visa and im here in texas already but my son is still in the philippines. so he is a K2 follow to join situation. what i did is i called the US embassy in manila and set an interview for my son who's by the way only 3 years old. he had his medical exam yesterday and his interview will be next week. you need to fill up some forms for the child and you will get the list of requirements for the child's interview when you call to make an appointment. you have to pay $18 using your credit card to get a pin number to use whenever you call.

im not good at explaining this but its really simple.what you should do first is get the phone number of the US embassy in your fiance's country.then just follow the voice prompt how to buy the PIN and from there you can set the interview for the child and you can ask them for the information about the requirements.

and in regards with the schooling, they can definitely go to school once theyre here but you should apply for their adjustment of status first :)

if the k1 and k2 entered the US at the same time you can apply for their AOS at the same time. im not very familliar with this process yet but i think if the k2 is a follow to join then you have to apply for his/her AOS once he/she gets here.

hope these informations help :)

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Does the K-2 recipient have the same restrictions are far as traveling? I understand that my fiance will need advance parole to travel outside the U.S. (3-4 months) but her son who we plan to join later on, will it take 3-4 months for him to be able to travel? We are discussing with his father about future visitation once he joins us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does the K-2 recipient have the same restrictions are far as traveling? I understand that my fiance will need advance parole to travel outside the U.S. (3-4 months) but her son who we plan to join later on, will it take 3-4 months for him to be able to travel? We are discussing with his father about future visitation once he joins us.

Yes, K-2 must also have advance parole or GC to re-enter if he travels

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm in kind of the same boat, my Wife's son's (6 years old) K2 interview is a few weeks from now, my question is what are the rules for AOS once he is here??

Do we have to file for AOS as soon as he gets here?

Do we have 90 days like a K1 visa? (or ask the officer at Point of Entry for more than 90 days?)

I guess what is the official rule, I tried searching and it's always the K1 info that pops up, I will keep searching.

Thanks all!

Timeline

Have known each other and have been friends for 20+ Years.

May 18, 2009 - Mailed I-129F Package

May 19, 2009 - Receipt of Confirmation from USPS

May 22, 2009 - Check Cashed

May 23, 2009 - Received NOA1

May 23, 2009 - Signed up for E-mail updates on USCIS.gov website.

Aug 27, 2009 - Touched 1

Aug 27, 2009 - NOA-2 E-mail Received!

Sept 8, 2009 - NVC Received File - Was stuck in AP for 28 Days!

Oct 6, 2009 - NVC sent file to Manila - Thank GOD

Oct 9, 2009 - File in System at US. Embassy In Manila

Oct 15, 2009 - Information packet received by Beneficiary from Manila

Oct 14, 2009 - Advanced Medical Exam Passed

Nov 10, 2009 - Interview - Passed Thank GOD again.

Nov 17, 2009 - Visa received

Nov 17, 2009 - CFO Seminar

Nov 21, 2009 - returned to US with the Love of my life.

Dec 17th, 2009 - Wedding! Yahoo!

Jan 14th, 2010 - Mailed I-485 / 765 Package

Jan 21, 2010 - NOA1 for 485 / 765

Feb 17, 2010 - Biometrics

Mar 9, 2010 - EAD Card in Production

May 28, 2010 - Greencard Received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

How do I find details about the process for a K2? I know what to do up to the point when the K1 (and the K2) are issued. But what happens next?

Do I follow the same steps as the K1 once my fiancee and her daughter enter the country? i.e... Do we apply for EAD, AOS, SSN, etc. for the daughter at the same time that we apply for my fiancee?

Also... The daughter wants to go to college in the US... She is taking the SAT + the TOEFL + applying to universities in Texas... But I was wondering if she could go to college with a K2 visa??

Thanks in advance

We did two K-2s. One with Alla and one to follow. Yes, generally you file duplicate papers for everything. K-2s CANNOT get an SSN until they have an EAD or Green card. YES they can go to college. One of our sons filed at the same time as Alla, the other about 10 months later. The K" MUST be done at the same time OR after the K-1. The K-2 cannot adjust status before the K-1

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm in kind of the same boat, my Wife's son's (6 years old) K2 interview is a few weeks from now, my question is what are the rules for AOS once he is here??

Do we have to file for AOS as soon as he gets here?

Do we have 90 days like a K1 visa? (or ask the officer at Point of Entry for more than 90 days?)

I guess what is the official rule, I tried searching and it's always the K1 info that pops up, I will keep searching.

Thanks all!

There is no particular requirement to file the AOS as long as you are married to her mother within 90 days. One of our sons adjusted status 10 months after Alla did. She cannot leave the US until she has an AP or green card, just as a K1. The K1 has 90 days to GET MARRIED. You can adjust status later.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

There is no particular requirement to file the AOS as long as you are married to her mother within 90 days. One of our sons adjusted status 10 months after Alla did. She cannot leave the US until she has an AP or green card, just as a K1. The K1 has 90 days to GET MARRIED. You can adjust status later.

Thanks Gary and Alla!

Timeline

Have known each other and have been friends for 20+ Years.

May 18, 2009 - Mailed I-129F Package

May 19, 2009 - Receipt of Confirmation from USPS

May 22, 2009 - Check Cashed

May 23, 2009 - Received NOA1

May 23, 2009 - Signed up for E-mail updates on USCIS.gov website.

Aug 27, 2009 - Touched 1

Aug 27, 2009 - NOA-2 E-mail Received!

Sept 8, 2009 - NVC Received File - Was stuck in AP for 28 Days!

Oct 6, 2009 - NVC sent file to Manila - Thank GOD

Oct 9, 2009 - File in System at US. Embassy In Manila

Oct 15, 2009 - Information packet received by Beneficiary from Manila

Oct 14, 2009 - Advanced Medical Exam Passed

Nov 10, 2009 - Interview - Passed Thank GOD again.

Nov 17, 2009 - Visa received

Nov 17, 2009 - CFO Seminar

Nov 21, 2009 - returned to US with the Love of my life.

Dec 17th, 2009 - Wedding! Yahoo!

Jan 14th, 2010 - Mailed I-485 / 765 Package

Jan 21, 2010 - NOA1 for 485 / 765

Feb 17, 2010 - Biometrics

Mar 9, 2010 - EAD Card in Production

May 28, 2010 - Greencard Received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes, both need to be filed at the same time. Check the AOS Guides for details. The K-2 will not be able to obtain a SSN until you have either the EAD or GC in hand. The K-1 can obtain their SSN between about two weeks after they arrive to about two weeks before the I-94 expires.

That is possible and must be listed as such on the DS-156K form. Check out your Embassy for country specific instructions. The child will have one year from the issuance of the K-1 to go to their interview (same as the K-1) and come into the US.

The K-1 or K-2 visa allows them to enter into the US, nothing more. Once they are here, then entry requirements for permanent residents for the college apply. It will be college specific as to what they will want to have to admit her.

Thanks in advance

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.