tcTTct

Why is divorce a red flag? Just wondering.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I saw a VJ-er mention this in a post:

"I guess NOT having any of the "classic" HCMC Consulate red flags (divorce, children from previous marriage, beneficiary family in the US, introduced by family members)"

I'm just wondering why a divorce would be considered a red flag? And is the seriousness of the red flag the same if the couple is in their 20s or their 40s?

"I guess NOT having any of the "classic" HCMC Consulate red flags (divorce, children from previous marriage, beneficiary family in the US, introduced by family members)"

I'm just wondering why a divorce would be considered a red flag? And is the seriousness of the red flag the same if the couple is in their 20s or their 40s?

I don't think divorce is a red flag, unless there is a pattern in marrying Vietnamese girls and then divorcing them once they get green cards...

Our Love Story's 1st page: June 15, 2008

K 1: 98 days!
May 11 - August 17, 2010 APPROVED!!!
POE: September 14, 2010 Chicago, IL
Wedding Day: September 22, 2010

AOS from K1: 96 days!
November 19, 2010 - February 24, 2011 APPROVED!!!
November 19, 2010: AOS, EAD & AP applications mailed
December 20, 2010: Biometrics (day 31)
January 18, 2011: case transfered to CSC (day 60)
February 10, 2011: EAD & AP approved! (day 83)
February 24, 2011: GC production ordered! (day 96)

Removing conditions: 5 months and 30 days!
December 6, 2012: package mailed
December 10, 2012: NOA 1 (day 4)

June, 5, 2013: APPROVED!!!

June, 10 2013: 10 yr GC received

event.png

an1cHsW0g410610MjAwMTU1bHwyNTY0MzkxbGF8d

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Ok...!? And while we're on the topic what's the big deal with being divorced (US citizen and US citizen) And having children (2) from a previous marriage??? How's that a red flag???

She married a douche,he took drugs and beated her half to death so she finally left him and some time - on a whole differt context - before happened to carry out his children???

Why would that disallow US (I'm from Germany so different consulate bt still) to live together now?? I don't get it and I find the thought of the petition or visa denied over it VERY very mean :(:angry:

Could somebody calm down my suddenly aroused stress, please??? :help:

Edited by M and A 2011

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it...It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for.

And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything, you risk even more."

People who break the rules are the reason this process is so ridiculous for the people who want to do things the right way.

Our journey

07/22/09 met online (IMVU)

09/09/09 beginning of courtship

02/13/10 Entry to the U.S. (VWP), for first visit :)

08/27/10 Entry to the U.S. (VWP), for second visit :)

09/09/10 1 year anniversary :D

09/XX/10 I-129F filed, see detailed timeline

XX/XX/10 I-129F approved

XX/XX/10 Interview

XX/XX/11 Entry to the U.S. (K1), for the purpose of marrying :D

HCMC is a difficult consulate to get a marriage visa through due to the high rate of fraud. There are a lot of Vietnamese living in the US and they are often making arrangements for relatives in Vietnam to marry US citizens for the sole purpose of immigration.

I guess they have found a certain type of US citizen that is particularly targeted for visa fruad.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A lot of it has to do with the timing. If you just got a divorce more than likely they will look very close at your case. Especially if you were introduced to each other by a relative of his/her's.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Ok...!? And while we're on the topic what's the big deal with being divorced (US citizen and US citizen) And having children (2) from a previous marriage??? How's that a red flag???

She married a douche,he took drugs and beated her half to death so she finally left him and some time - on a whole differt context - before happened to carry out his children???

Why would that disallow US (I'm from Germany so different consulate bt still) to live together now?? I don't get it and I find the thought of the petition or visa denied over it VERY very mean :(:angry:

Could somebody calm down my suddenly aroused stress, please??? :help:

My fiance was married 3 times before! 3 times :bonk: ! And all his marriages were almost just as bad as your fiancee's experiences. In Romania that seems a lot...but, well, not in the US! We got approved in 66 days! Really, divorce is NOT a red flag...Marrying foreigners all the time and getting givorced in just the right time for them to remain in the US...that's a red flag! People looking for the right partner (L) (and that's not easy, is it?) cannot be a red flag ever! Don't worry! I look forward to hearing your good news soon :yes:

event.png

Timeline

I am assuming you are quoting me from my interview experience thread. These "classic" red flags I mentioned are just assumptions based upon the experiences of others that have gone through the HCMC Consulate before me. I see that other members have already commented on this issue. I also notice that they are from other Consulates/Embassies such as Romania and Germany. For those members, divorces may not be a big deal for their respective Consulates but I can assure you that for the HCMC Consulate it is a BIG deal.

The HCMC Consulate is probably in the top 2 or 3 in the world for fraud volume it deals with on a daily basis. Long story short, there tends to be a huge need for families that were seperated after the Vietnam war to be reunited in the US. Since marriage to a US citizen is the quickest way to immigrate into the US, the scammers are quick to jump into sham marriages with US citizens to gain Green Cards and then get a divorce. Often times, these sham marriages are arranged by family members of the beneficiary. While family involvement in this process is a big incentive to commit immigration fraud, so is poverty. Poverty creates a BIG incentive for beneficiaries to scam petitioners to migrate to the US. A divorce by either beneficiary or petitioner is seen by the the HCMC Consulate as an attempt to hook up into a "sham marriage" for the purposes of evading US immigration laws in order to get a quick Green Card.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit. If you have more questions about the red flags, post away :)

-Travis

Edited by BurningFinger

1/10/2010-----> Mailed I-130

1/17/2010-----> NOA 1 - Hard Copy

3/28/2010-----> NOA 2 - Email

4/02/2010-----> NOA 2 - Hard Copy

6/14/2010-----> NVC Processing Complete

8/02/2010-----> Interview Date @ 8:00am - Result = PINK!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As Kevin noted... Its all about the timing... Disregard those that are not familiar with HCMC as they dont know enough to respond to your question accurately... If you were divorced within a year of filing or getting engaged.. it has been noted this creates a red flag.. not huge but present none the less... the shorter the duration between divorce and filing or getting engaged, the bigger the red flag... If the relationship began before the final divorce that is the biggest divorce related red flag other than divorcing a previous VN Immigrant a short time after immigration...

It is common knowlege to the CO's that VN families pay USC's tens of thousands of dollars to marry a VNC to get them into the US. They know that people will divorce on paper (stay with their spouse) and petition for a VN spouse just to get the $.. The current economy makes the scheme more desirable to those in financial need... There have been many convictions of people doing just this scam...

So the answer as to why is divorce a red flag in HCMC: Because it is seen as being related to a case being fraudulent or for $/immigration only...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I don't think divorce is a red flag, unless there is a pattern in marrying Vietnamese girls and then divorcing them once they get green cards...

Bad info

My fiance was married 3 times before! 3 times :bonk: ! And all his marriages were almost just as bad as your fiancee's experiences. In Romania that seems a lot...but, well, not in the US! We got approved in 66 days! Really, divorce is NOT a red flag...Marrying foreigners all the time and getting givorced in just the right time for them to remain in the US...that's a red flag! People looking for the right partner (L) (and that's not easy, is it?) cannot be a red flag ever! Don't worry! I look forward to hearing your good news soon :yes:

Wrong... A recent divorce is a red flag in VN... And approved at NVC does not mean visa approved... it aint over until the consulate hands the SO the passport with a visa in it

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Feedback and "Red Flag warnings" are often embassy/consulate specific. It is always best to learn about the expectations where you / your SO will having their interview.

Also the circumstances for each couple are unique. What applied to me/us in HCMC may not be similar to another couple coming through HCMC, let alone a western european consulate.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Divorce is a flag.. Hence why I am waiting a decision after our interview. I married before and divorced, granted the man I married I believe used me and I have formed INS and gave the IO emails, which he kept. That being said our interview was not crazy. I was just told because I was married islamically to the previous jerk, they wanted to make sure islamically the marriage is over. I gave them the divorce records from the court (guess separation from chruch and state does not matter in this case) and my current marriage was done by the Imam, who would never marry us if he thought I was already married... I don't know, it is driving me crazy. I understand their concern. However, I told the IO the guy I married does not have his perm GC just a temp, they can and should pull it. Ppl like him don't deserve to be in my country. Just be prepared for some questions. Just be honest that is truly the best policy!

03/26/2010: Got married at the Masjid :P

04/19/2010: Finished with Civil Surgeon form

04/26/2010: I-130, I-485, I-765 package sent

4/29/2010: Package recieved; delivery confirmation USPS :)(Day 1)

5/6/2010: Checks cashed! (Day 7)

5/10/2010 Hard copy NOA's on my son's b-day :)(Day 11)

5/15/2010 Biometrics letter (7-7), found out we are pregnant :)(Day 16)

5/26/2010 Biometrics walk-in done (Day 27)

6/21/2010 Interview Letter (Day 53)

07/13/10 - EAD Approved (Production notice)(Day 75)

7/28/2010 Interview 11 AM (Day 90)

WAITING FOR DECISION

8/23/2010 Info pass

8/24/2010 APPROVED- CARD PRODUCTION

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.

1/11/11- Baby ADAM was born :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am assuming you are quoting me from my interview experience thread. These "classic" red flags I mentioned are just assumptions based upon the experiences of others that have gone through the HCMC Consulate before me.

I hear ya.

It's a good thing I'm doing all my research long before we even decide to go either the K1 or CR1 route. I guess as long as we can address all the red flags it shouldn't be a problem. So hopefully these following facts will make it less of a red flag.

- I rekindled the relationship with my first love from 20 years ago, and we still have evidence from that time.

- We are going through divorces in order to be together.

- We're both around 40 and were not introduced by a family member. She only has one half sister in another part of Cali who I only met 20 years ago.

- My income is high.

- We have the usual gazillion hours of TM video logs and screenshots as well as thousands of documented phone records.

- I have emails from her father and soon to be ex-husband telling me to stay away from her and calling me every name under the sun, disowning her and writing her out of the will (yes, I deserve them and yes, she is throwing away a life of luxury to be with me)

Ironically, she only wants to be where I am and wishes I was in Vietnam, but her kids are grown and want to stay with their father while my kids are young and need their father for the next few years at least.

We're also thinking that the marriage route may be a safer option, and I'll make several more trips back to VN including some after the divorce/marriage before we file.

Thanks for letting me share. Please feel free to give inpput/advise.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Divorce is a flag.. Hence why I am waiting a decision after our interview. I married before and divorced, granted the man I married I believe used me and I have formed INS and gave the IO emails, which he kept. That being said our interview was not crazy. I was just told because I was married islamically to the previous jerk, they wanted to make sure islamically the marriage is over. I gave them the divorce records from the court (guess separation from chruch and state does not matter in this case) and my current marriage was done by the Imam, who would never marry us if he thought I was already married... I don't know, it is driving me crazy. I understand their concern. However, I told the IO the guy I married does not have his perm GC just a temp, they can and should pull it. Ppl like him don't deserve to be in my country. Just be prepared for some questions. Just be honest that is truly the best policy!

Could someone clarify the point about Islamic divorce? My husband is Islamic and got divorced legally through the court system in Turkey, but is there some requirement for religious divorce as well? His ex-wife has gotten re-married religiously, but not civilly. Our case has been at the NVC for 6 weeks , 4 weeks since I returned the checklist letter docs, and I am starting to wonder about why it is taking so long.

thanks,

Karen

California Service Center

Married, Istanbul: 12-25-09

Sent I-130: 02-22-10

I-130 Received: 02-23-10

NOA1 Dated: 03-02-10

NOA1 Received: 03-05-10

NOA2 Approved: 04-28-10

Received DS-3032/I-864 Bill: 05-10-10

Pay I-864 Bill 05-10-10

Return Completed I-864: 06-01-10

Return Completed DS-3032: 05-10-10

Receive IV Bill: 06-10-10

Pay IV Bill: 06-10-10

DS-230 to NVC: 06-15-10

Receive Instruction Package: 06-17-10

Case Completed at NVC : 08-30-10

Interview Date: 10-05-10

Port of Entry SFO: 11-05-10

Timeline

Could someone clarify the point about Islamic divorce? My husband is Islamic and got divorced legally through the court system in Turkey, but is there some requirement for religious divorce as well? His ex-wife has gotten re-married religiously, but not civilly. Our case has been at the NVC for 6 weeks , 4 weeks since I returned the checklist letter docs, and I am starting to wonder about why it is taking so long.

thanks,

Karen

A MENA group would likely have more info as Vietnamese are not traditionall Islamic...

Bad info

Wrong... A recent divorce is a red flag in VN... And approved at NVC does not mean visa approved... it aint over until the consulate hands the SO the passport with a visa in it

My post was a reply for Michael from Germany! He was stressing out about the interview at the Consulate in Germany, not VN.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.