StupidJourney

Awkward English

77 posts in this topic

My husband says "Can you back it?/Back it." instead of "Can you put it back?/Put it back."

"Catch it!" instead of "Hold this!" or "I wanna take you in my hug" instead of " I wanna hug you"

I also had some Spanish-speaking friends in the states that would say funny stuff with their English, like:

"Oh your goodness, she is so b!tch." meaning- Oh my goodness, she is such a b!tch.

adding -er to the end of the word to mean more was hilarious when used like this.............

"Your friend is so slutter" meaning - she is such a sl&t. (which i kind of understood this one cause there is an expression in Spanish, "mas puta que la ch......")

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Most of these "mistakes" are due to our background. The "mother" language.... We try to construct the sentences or pronounce the words thinking many times in accordance to the structure...the way we would pronounce in our first language (whatever it is) ...then translate to the english..... what many times does not "match" the rules.... We know what we want to say in our "first" language, then we think the words in English and "build" the sentences...making a lot of fun many times.... :whistle: (I bet I did in this paragraph :whistle: )

That is so true :yes:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Just wanted to say I'm sure if I tried speaking more of my husband's language I'd get some good laughs from him. He will laugh at me when I try to pronounce a Hindi word and completely mess it up. And I also laugh at him if he messes up a phrase. I am blanking right now on any of them though, I guess he doesn't do it too often.

But I have a couple good ones from a close family friend, who grew up in Chile and moved here when he was 13 and is now 16.

One day when with all of us hanging out, he is a lot younger than all of us so he gets easily bored, he said loudly with an attitude "I'm boring!!!" instead of "I'm bored". We loved that one and told him yes he is very boring!! He got all embarrassed. :P He also called us all yerks once, instead of jerks. We love teasing him.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
"You better don't!"

I say this and I consider English my first language, hmmm.....I do have foreign parents, guess that's where it comes from?

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
most of george's is things like Get down from the car......or things like that.......his english is real good tho. til he starts talkin fast or he is mad then he throws arabic words in too

LOL, my husband is the EXACT same way. My parents and my husband also say "Get down from the car" or "Open or Close the light" So funny!!!!

:ot: Oh cute baby btw

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
:lol: Moh says, "sorry for the late", too.

I love how he always adds an "ed" or "es" to words like...worled (world) and girles (girls).

He'll say close or open the light or phone instead of turn on/off the light and answer/hang up the phone.

Instead of saying "I'll let you go" he'll say "I'll leave you now" when talking on the phone.

Getting out of the car is "get down from the car"

Something that I've picked up from him is...instead of "do you know what time it is?" it's "do you know what time is it?"

There are sooo many others...

Laughing so much!!! SOOOOOOOO typical Egytian/Arab!

"Do you want to make F###?"

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

"Do you want to make F###?"

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

Here's one my husband said to be today:

Work permanence instead of work permit, hee hee...funny guy.

Filed: Timeline

I love how he always adds an "ed" or "es" to words like...worled (world) and girles (girls).

He'll say close or open the light or phone instead of turn on/off the light and answer/hang up the phone.

Instead of saying "I'll let you go" he'll say "I'll leave you now" when talking on the phone.

Something that I've picked up from him is...instead of "do you know what time it is?" it's "do you know what time is it?"

There's so many but some are:

"I'm some tired now"

"sorry for the late" :wacko:

An oldie post but a goodie! :rofl:

My hubby is the same w/ "adding an "ed" or "es" to words like...worled (world) and girles (girls)." He claims they taught him this in school...I would believe it. Gotta love it! :P

Timeline

"I'm some tired now"

My hubby is the same w/ "adding an "ed" or "es" to words like...worled (world) and girles (girls)." He claims they taught him this in school...I would believe it. Gotta love it! :P

Haha, very true. Here's another one...when they say the word "time" it comes out "ti-em" or the word "care" sounds like "k-air" and of course the letter R is always ROLLED!! So very true....as you said Nawal, Gotta love it!!! Oh something else that's fun this isn't strickly Egyptian, but for most that speak Arabic. There is no letter P in the Arabic alphabet so words like "play" come out "blay" or "people" is "beoble."

Filed: Timeline

"I'm some tired now"

Haha, very true. Here's another one...when they say the word "time" it comes out "ti-em" or the word "care" sounds like "k-air" and of course the letter R is always ROLLED!! So very true....as you said Nawal, Gotta love it!!! Oh something else that's fun this isn't strickly Egyptian, but for most that speak Arabic. There is no letter P in the Arabic alphabet so words like "play" come out "blay" or "people" is "beoble."

Pepsi "Bepsi" and Popcorn "bopcorn" :rofl: My best friends father does this all the time...I always tease him. :P

Timeline
Well, English is my second language and also my husband's second language so we both make mistakes in English, mostly in propositions or pronounciation (I make the most of those). He does laugh lots about my Spanish and I about his Portuguese.

oh really :devil:

Damn Charles, that was a simple typo. :blush:

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I find it impolite when laughing at a speaker who speaks broken English when it is their second language. English is also my second language. The reason why I speak it fluently is because I grew up in America. I speak fluent Cambodia which is my primary language.

Although, for many of those who do not know any better. Many professors who receives a number of awards for their achievements, and have contributed to America society in many ways also speaks broken English. I find it a little condescending when a street rat or some fool yelling, "go back to your country" or "learn to speak English". These people learned, but, they don't have the aptitude to learn it like a native.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline
Well, English is my second language and also my husband's second language so we both make mistakes in English, mostly in propositions or pronounciation (I make the most of those). He does laugh lots about my Spanish and I about his Portuguese.

oh really :devil:

Damn Charles, that was a simple typo. :blush:

and it took you almost 2 years to come up with an answer :P

Edited by Nessa

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline