Captain Oates

Traffic tickets - look out !

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Found a case of a guy who was denied based on traffic tickets.

Actually it was a combination of the tickets and how he dealt with them.

4 tickets for using a cell phone while driving

3 tickets for speeding

In my opinion he should be denied on grounds of not being intelligent enough for citizenship and the psychological component of his green card medical should be questioned; but it was a mixture of the tickets PLUS the way he dealt with them. He messed about with appeals, failed to pay and the USCIS said this wasn't the conduct of an average USC

DENIED

So just because the N400 form says traffic tickets are not a problem, make sure you pay them quickly or it can lead to denial if you have enough of them and mess about.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Or simply obey all the traffic laws and avoid those way overpriced tickets. But then that is getting hard to do, use to be able to drive a block and a half to a 55 mph limit and that 55 mph limit use to be 65 mph. Keep on building homes and businesses on state highways, drop the limit to 25, then add stop signs or worse yet, traffic signals that turn red for an hour while nobody is coming. Getting to the point where our towns are a half a block wide and ten miles long. Lower taxes by doing that as the state pays for the roads.

While our science magazines predicted everyone will be traveling at 300 mph by the year 2000, feel they are a bit off, 3 mph is more like it.

Timeline

Or simply obey all the traffic laws and avoid those way overpriced tickets. But then that is getting hard to do, use to be able to drive a block and a half to a 55 mph limit and that 55 mph limit use to be 65 mph. Keep on building homes and businesses on state highways, drop the limit to 25, then add stop signs or worse yet, traffic signals that turn red for an hour while nobody is coming. Getting to the point where our towns are a half a block wide and ten miles long. Lower taxes by doing that as the state pays for the roads.

While our science magazines predicted everyone will be traveling at 300 mph by the year 2000, feel they are a bit off, 3 mph is more like it.

Washington State is insanely over policed. I can't drive 20 miles without seeing 4 or 5 police cars and one of the 4 speed monitoring planes.

They will ticket for 5mph over

They follow me and everyone all round town all day long. I even use cruise control in the 25 mph areas

They got me on my first visit 40 miles from nowhere when we came here the first time for interview. 70 in a 60 coming down off the mountain. They wait half way down. It was a rental from Seattle and it had no cruise control.

That was day 1. I have been here 2.5 years now and they have no chance of getting me again as I drive in my mirror instead of looking for pedestrians in front.

I am allowed 20 tickets in 5 years before a ban - that is indicative of the volume of tickets which is immense.

The Sheriff is up for election and the posters say he is GOP. What chance people with liberal bumper stickers ?

There is no State Income Tax so the money is collected via totally distracting levels of Policing

Washington State Police Use Ticket Quotas

Officials with the Washington State Patrol set numeric goals that encourage state police officers to issue as many traffic citations as possible. The effect has been a significant increase in the number of tickets written 50,000 additional tickets were issued between 2005 and 2006. A Bellvue state patrol sergeant issued a memo ordering troopers to meet the accountability goals, writing: No matter how many cars you stop, the goal… is 80 percent enforcement (tickets). Those failing to meet the goal may lose vacation time or receive other sanctions.

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, I got a ticket in Atlanta-GA, on the traffic citition it says i was driving 69 MPH in a 55 MPH zone and for sure i had to send a $250 Cashair Checks to them, the good thing i dont have to go to appear to the Court, and if it was 1 Miles. extra i will be paying extra for Insurance too. i was in Vacation to GA. so i dont have to fly to GA from CA to appear. but still worried if this will make any problem for me when i apply for my Citizenship this next 2 months. and i dont know if i have to write it down in the N-400 form that i got a ticket,

Thanks alot.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Timeline

Washington State is insanely over policed.

I see they have started the patrols again just your side of the State border to catch Washington residents registering their cars to addresses in Oregon. Two last week got tickets for minor infringements, the tickets were $1100 each.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

Hi, I got a ticket in Atlanta-GA, on the traffic citition it says i was driving 69 MPH in a 55 MPH zone and for sure i had to send a $250 Cashair Checks to them, the good thing i dont have to go to appear to the Court, and if it was 1 Miles. extra i will be paying extra for Insurance too. i was in Vacation to GA. so i dont have to fly to GA from CA to appear. but still worried if this will make any problem for me when i apply for my Citizenship this next 2 months. and i dont know if i have to write it down in the N-400 form that i got a ticket,

Thanks alot.

It says on the n400 instructions that ordinary traffic tickets need not be declared even.

Make sure you pay it promptly and don't get a lot of them (or any more if poss !) and you will be just fine

Ask for a receipt

Keep your bank statement showing the payment and have it in your folder for the interview.

One in a million chance they would even question it - and only if it's unpaid.

Your standard is the 'average American law abiding citizen'. You are still within this so far

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Wisconsin besides having high sales tax, state income taxes, and high property taxes, still are issuing a ton of traffic violations. Police force in all cities and towns have been more than doubled by Homeland Security and all they have to do is to issue traffic tickets. Personally knew the chief of police and everyone on the police force. But all that is history, bringing in what I think are former gang members from Chicago.

Even had to hire one of our crooked attorneys to be a traffic court judge, sure wouldn't want to face him. when some of my neighbors homes were broken into, called the police to tell them about suspicious looking characters, they ran the other way, so ended up scaring them away myself.

How are the police in Canada? Didn't go there during VN, but thinking about it now, this country is going nuts.

Timeline

I had gotten used to the concept of 'moral turpitude' with the GC but of course with the n400 thing they can be much pickier and convoluted in saying you are not of 'good moral character'.

I reckon Mr Gibson would be on the first plane out if he applied for n400

Instead he is almost a billionaire

Great caution required for the USC process - it isn't automatic

I didn't realise that traffic tickets would do it if not handled properly but it just shows.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It says on the n400 instructions that ordinary traffic tickets need not be declared even.

Make sure you pay it promptly and don't get a lot of them (or any more if poss !) and you will be just fine

Ask for a receipt

Keep your bank statement showing the payment and have it in your folder for the interview.

One in a million chance they would even question it - and only if it's unpaid.

Your standard is the 'average American law abiding citizen'. You are still within this so far

Hi, And thanks alot for ur reply.

Now, i didn't get the receipt yet. should i call them and ask them for it? and do i need to go to he DMV and get license record ? and Yes i have the receipt from the Bank that i send Cashiar check. and i wanna check the Bank statement as well.

Thanks alot.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Timeline

Hi, And thanks alot for ur reply.

Now, i didn't get the receipt yet. should i call them and ask them for it? and do i need to go to he DMV and get license record ? and Yes i have the receipt from the Bank that i send Cashiar check. and i wanna check the Bank statement as well.

Thanks alot.

nah it's not necessary

The guy who got caught out was a bad boy mainly because he dodged his tickets rather than just the getting of the tickets - and he did have 7 !!

I have 1 ticket. I have not shown it on the n400 because it says you shouldn't

I have a receipt though. I would recommend having something to prove you have paid it just for the 1 in million chance they think you are a fine dodger.

Once you have the receipt, don't lose it but don't volunteer it either. It's just in case someone screws a record up. 1 in a million. I always carry my receipt in my wallet in case the police pull me and claim I didn't pay. They jail you in some places for that ! Welcome to America.

You will be fine. I will be fine.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

so if you have too many moving violations they may deny you a us citizenship later on??

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

so if you have too many moving violations they may deny you a us citizenship later on??

No if you don't pay for them like the guy didn't then you would face issues on the moral citizen grounds. I had several and paid them off and had no problems. Failing to not pay fines of anything can result in the same thing.

Serves him right for getting denied.

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

The guy wasn't refused naturalization because he had traffic tickets, as he didn't have to even list them. He was refused naturalization because he's a bum, a guy who played but refused to pay. It's the same principle as refusing somebody naturalization who failed to pay his taxes or spousal support. Uncle Sam has no mercy with people who try to #### with him.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

The guy wasn't refused naturalization because he had traffic tickets, as he didn't have to even list them. He was refused naturalization because he's a bum, a guy who played but refused to pay. It's the same principle as refusing somebody naturalization who failed to pay his taxes or spousal support. Uncle Sam has no mercy with people who try to #### with him.

Two years ago our city counsel in a 5 to 4 vote passed a city ordinance prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving. 70 buck fine plus court cost. Actually you can still use your phone, but hands off, I just switch to speaker with the phone sitting on my lap, can talk and hear very well. Many ways to enter our town, but this ordinance is only posted on the main highways, so can reasons for an appeal. Using cell phones at least for now is not a state law. There was no accident or other reason to pass this ordinance, and most of the people here object to it, but not enough to dump the city counsel, its for our safety. And no test to learn if you can drive and use the phone at the same time. Tantamount to flying a plane in IFR conditions while maintaining contact with ATC, except driving a car is a whole lot simpler.

But most people learn about our law after getting just one ticket, this guy got four? He must have other problems as well. With seven tickets under his belt, would hate to see is auto insurance bill.

Still like seeing a cop car trying to hide behind a tree, I know he is there to protect me against terrorists.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Foreign nationals in any country should just follow the damn law. Follow the law and you don't have problems. I am glad this persons' naturalization was denied. I hope he is deported. I don't want to drive on the road thinking he may be there, speaking on his stupid cell phone and speeding. And it sounds like the kind of person who will hit you and run and never appear for a court hearing. Give me a break.

Naturalized USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.