Joshua Kaufman

Divorce after removal of conditions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

My wife immigrated to the United States with her step-son in late 2007, but we have been separated for about 1.5 years. When filing the I-751, I stated that we currently have separate addresses. However, with the understanding that she's in graduate school, USCIS thankfully granted her removal of conditions without any request for evidence (divorce papers). We plan to file for divorce within California in the next month. My questions at this point: how will this affect her green card? Do we need to notify USCIS once the divorce has been finalized?

Thanks for your help!

My wife immigrated to the United States with her step-son in late 2007, but we have been separated for about 1.5 years. When filing the I-751, I stated that we currently have separate addresses. However, with the understanding that she's in graduate school, USCIS thankfully granted her removal of conditions without any request for evidence (divorce papers). We plan to file for divorce within California in the next month. My questions at this point: how will this affect her green card? Do we need to notify USCIS once the divorce has been finalized?

Thanks for your help!

It looks like USCIS misunderstood your statement as you indicated. Once ROC is granted and a 10-year GC is issued, then your wife is a LPR and I don't think you need to inform them of the divorce. The only thing that it will affect is her ability to naturalize after 3 years. She needs to wait for 5 years to do so.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Filing a joint ROC petition when the couple is separated, is a textbook case of immigration fraud, plain and simple. If this ever comes out--and things like this oftentimes have a life of their own--you are in serious legal trouble and the ex-wife will have her day in court as well, after which she and the young one will be boarding a plane back to Germany with a lifetime ban to ever visit the US again, attached.

There is really no other way to say it than just say it. We're talking felony here.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Filing a joint ROC petition when the couple is separated, is a textbook case of immigration fraud, plain and simple.

Hold on here. I never had the intention of committing fraud (we followed all the rules and never planned on separating), and I was advised by an immigration lawyer to jointly file and then convert to a waiver. This advice was based on a USCIS memo that the lawyer provided to me. I clearly stated that we had separate addresses on the I-751. I was told that the best case is that they will remove conditions without asking any questions, which is what happened. Our divorce won't be finalized for at least a few more months.

In any case, I want to do the right thing. I realize that the consequences could be dire if I screw up, which is why I posted to the forum. So while I appreciate your warning, the doomsday tone isn't exactly helpful to my situation. Do you have any practical advice?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I think you are fine, since you will be filing for divorce after the conditions have been removed. This will not affect her green card since the new green card is not under any conditions. The only thing is that you future ex-wife can file for citizenship after 5 years instead of 3 if you were still married. There is no need to inform USCIS with anything, unless you want to show them that this was all a fraud and she is responsible for it. But from what I gather you are probably worried that she might have issues with her green card not being valid anymore. That is not the case and even after the divorce her green cars status will be maintained.

Hold on here. I never had the intention of committing fraud (we followed all the rules and never planned on separating), and I was advised by an immigration lawyer to jointly file and then convert to a waiver. This advice was based on a USCIS memo that the lawyer provided to me. I clearly stated that we had separate addresses on the I-751. I was told that the best case is that they will remove conditions without asking any questions, which is what happened. Our divorce won't be finalized for at least a few more months.

In any case, I want to do the right thing. I realize that the consequences could be dire if I screw up, which is why I posted to the forum. So while I appreciate your warning, the doomsday tone isn't exactly helpful to my situation. Do you have any practical advice?

Hi Joshua,

Just Bob likes to keep things clear and simple, and he doesn't like to beat around the bush. His tone might be, as you described it, "doomsday-ish", but he had a good point.

However, now that you mention what you did, how you did, and what procedures you followed, then I will reiterate my comment that I think you should be OK.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Joshua,

I never thought you are a bad guy, and I still believe that you only tried to do what's best for your wife. But that doesn't change a thing.

What I'm outlining is the legal aspect of the ROC process. If you filed jointly at a point when you and your wife were already separated, you committed--perhaps unknowingly--immigration fraud. It's a mute point to explore the intent at this point. "I'm sorry, your honor, I didn't know that it's illegal to [insert offense here]" gets you only so far, whether it's a red traffic light or something much more severe.

Was your petition converted from a jointly filed one to a singularly filed one involving a waiver or not? Or did you present the fact that you and your wife are living at different addresses purely based on the fact that she was attending school?

No need to answer me, but if USCIS made a mistake, it's because they were LED to BELIEVE by your jointly filed petition that your marriage was still intact and you lived only temporarily apart based on the aforementioned fact. And the fact that you filed jointly when it was prohibited to do so, whether due to ill-advise by your lawyer or just due to the fact that you wanted to "help out" your wife in getting her unrestricted green card without any fuss, don't change a thing. If you don't believe me write a letter to USCIS and tell' em that you and your wife were already separated by the time you submitted the I-751 and watch the drama of your wife losing her residency unfold in front of your eyes.

Again, I'm not trying to beat you up here, even if what I say is harsh, but the immigration people have zero humor when it comes to misrepresentation of an immigrant.

I maintain that if this ever comes out, most likely case would be at the N-400 stage when they look at the entire case once again, the brown stuff will hit the fan and it won't be pretty. A dealchanger, literally.

Most likely this will never come out though, so let the dead rest in peace.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just want to make it clear: a separated couple CAN file the I-751 Form jointly if the USC spouse is willing to sign. You can easily find necessary information online (USCIS Memorandums). Then, the notice was given along with the form about separate addresses. Isn't it a disclosure that people lived separate? If the application was approved even with such a notice- where is the fraud? I think they are pretty much OK.

To summarize. You should be fine. Your ex should be fine too. Once she has her permanent GC, leave it at that. And just to make you guilt free, you did not commit any fraud. You were married and not legally seperated / divorced at the time of filing. If USCIS saw your evidence and approved her, it means that you guys provided enough proof of bona fide marriage. Now what you do with your relationship is irrelevant to USCIS ( unless she is planning for file for citizenship and you are helping her ).

Word of caution : If you are legally seperated but helping her file for citizenship, that might cause USCIS to raise eyebrows.

07/24/2010 - I-751 papers sent to CSC - Day 1

07/29/2010 - USPS confirms delivery - Day 6

08/03/2010 - Check Cashed but no NOA - Day 11

08/05/2010 - NOA ( Receipt Date 08/02/2010) - Day 13

08/23/2010 - BIO - Day 31

09/07/2010 - Card Production Ordered Email - Day 45

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

v333k is right, but I must agree with Just Bob. And like he said, Let the Dead Rest In Peace.

Maybe during the N-400 process, it might raise eyebrows, but then thats a bit far away since your spouse won't be filing based on marriage. Good Luck

IR5 For Parent

Thanks for your help!

I agree with "Just Bob" here. CIS was dooped into thinking that they had separate addresses due to her being in graduate school, when in fact they had already been separated for 1.5 years and only staying together long enough for her to get the 10-yr greencard.

C'mon, lets tell it how it is.

Timeline
CIS was dooped into thinking that they had separate addresses due to her being in graduate school, when in fact they had already been separated for 1.5 years and only staying together long enough for her to get the 10-yr greencard.

She's attending school in the same (not large) city: San Francisco. It wouldn't make any sense for them to assume we had separate addresses due to her being in graduate school. We never planned "only staying together long enough for her to get the 10-yr greencard. We consulted a lawyer who advised us to do exactly what we did: we just happened to get the best case scenario.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.