Sign in to follow this  
Seven

k1 two weddings

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everybody!!!

Did someone else got married under a K1 first @ the court couple of days after of the arrival of the alien fiance(e) just to start as soon as possible the AOS and then got married some months after as official ceremony where lot of ppl go etc? If we do that, should be saying in AOS that we will have our official wedding whenever (tell the date) or how does it goes?

Thank you! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everybody!!!

Did someone else got married under a K1 first @ the court couple of days after of the arrival of the alien fiance(e) just to start as soon as possible the AOS and then got married some months after as official ceremony where lot of ppl go etc? If we do that, should be saying in AOS that we will have our official wedding whenever (tell the date) or how does it goes?

You can only have one marriage license,one marriage certificate and one official marriage event. If you do as you plan, the official one is the one you do in the court and is the official marriage event is the one that you base your AOS on... you can have as many celebration ceremonies as your heart desires and the USCIS does not care about anything other than the one that is the legally recognized one.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi everybody!!!

Hello!

We will be in the same boat...our official marriage will take place as soon as we get the K1...but we will do a renewal ceremony for family and friends next year..and we will base our status paperwork on the official date

Service Center :Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Norway

I-129F Sent: June 3, 2010

I-129F NOA1: June 14, 2010

Touched: June 17, 2010

I-129F NOA2: July 7, 2010

129F to NVC: July 13, 2010

NVC to Oslo: July 15 2010

Package 3 received: Aug 4 2010

Consulate interview: Aug 11, 2010-APPROVED !!

Visa received: Aug 18th

Travel to US: Aug 19th

Marriage: Sept 3rd 2010 !!

AOS/AP/EAD: Sent Sept 20th

NOA 1 (for all 3) Sept 30th

Biometrics appt: Oct 27th 2010

AOS interview: Dec 15th 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everybody!!!

When you marry the first time that is the date you will use for your AOS. Now someone commented that you could not obtain a 2nd marriage license which is true, however, when you are currently married another marriage license is not required. My parents renewed their vows and never had to obtain another license, all they had to do was show the priest at the church their originally marriage certificate and he performed the ceremony. So to answer your question, if you wanted to have a civil marriage or even a small religious ceremony right away and have a larger wedding later you could do that. Good luck!!!

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

We will be in the same boat...our official marriage will take place as soon as we get the K1...but we will do a renewal ceremony for family and friends next year..and we will base our status paperwork on the official date

OMG!!! US TOO!!! We set a date thinking this would be a fairly quick process HA HA :rofl: so we are on to plan B get married as soon as K1 process is over and have the big wedding later for family and friends!!! As for right now we are waiting for the NOA2! It does feel good to know that we are not alone!! Best wishes sent to all of you!!

OUR TIMELINE:

Met in June 2009 a silly little comment, that changed our lives forever...

I-129F sent: April 19, 2010

APPROVED October 27, 2010

MARRIED NOVEMBER 20, 2010!!!

AOS: Sent March 2nd

Recieved March 3rd

NOA1 March 8th!!! via txt

Filed: Other Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Hi,

My wife and I did the same thing. We had a civil ceremony in July and then our wedding in September. We use the date on our original marriage certificate for all our paperwork, not the date of the wedding. We did however send copies of our save the date and invites as part of the bona-fides.

Also, you CAN/DO get a second certificate (maybe this only applies in some states) called a remarriage licence/certificate. The officiant referred to the wedding as a renewal when we discussed wedding plans, but we did receive a second marriage certificate.

Again, use the original date for your paperwork.

09/20/09- Wedding Day

01/25/10- Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

01/28/10- I-30 Received at Chicago Lockbox

02/03/10- I-797 NOA #1 Sent

03/24/10- I-130 Approved, I-797 NOA #2 Sent

05/06/10- I-485 AOS & I-765 EAD Package Sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think this needs to be said...

Marriage:

Marriage is a social union or legal contract between individuals that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union may also be called matrimony. Marriage is usually recognized by the state, a religious authority, or both. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution irrespective of religious affiliation, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.

A wedding:

This is where you pledge to your other the intent and desire to love and cherish them. This is normally announced and demonstrated in front of friends, family and loved ones. This is what most little girls plan multiple times throughout their lives and are normally prepared in grandeur and spectacle.

Committment:

The intent to dedicate oneself or ideals to a single purpose or person. This can happen outside of a ceremony or legal practice.

Now that we have defined what is what... you can be married in the eyes of the law, the eyes of whatever god you pray to, and to the person you wish.

You can have a wedding as many times as you wish, there is no hard and fast rule.

So knock yourselves out. Get married and get it out of the way for the two of you get started on the next process, then for your loved ones and family, do it up right and make it special!

Just when we thought we winning the rat race... along comes a faster rat (i.e USCIS)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.