birdnerd

Canadian DCFs Waiting for Interview in Montreal

789 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I dont' know if this exists, I did a search and didn't see anything, but I'm awful with searches in forums.

I have a favor/question.

Does anyone have the checklist ???

By that I mean everything you need for getting the visa??

I know it's RCMP

Medical

Vaccinations

Affidavit of Suppor/proof of assets (are bank records and brokerage accounts enough or is there something special as we are using assets only at this time)

Proof of established residence (if they don't take my lease, telephone, electric and gas bill plus proof that I own a business there we hae a problem)

translation of documents like birth certificate/divorce. What is a long form. His birth certificate has his date of birth, his parents name, plus I had his baptism certificate translated too so he has a birth certificate with his name, date of birth etc parents listed and his original baptism and his divorce traslated (cost $820)

Proof of ongoing marriage, I am going to assume that a joint checking account statement from the bank is ok. I can bring a will that says he leaves everything to me, and I leave everything to him. Those are recent wills, being signed this week.

I can also produce that he has the electric bill on his name and I have the phone bill in my name at the same address plus that I am the pricipal driver of one of his cars as he owns both our cars.

prior 3 years of tax returns for me. (0 income but just filed them to be safe that they exist)

What am I missing? Please help.

I think the list you have pretty much sums it up.

When you say 0 inmcome for you on your taxes that you filed does that mean you had no income in the past three years or no US income in the past three years? I ask because when I talked to my accountant in the US and a US immigration lawyer they both said I needed to include my world income on my US taxes....Which I did and I didnt owe anything at the end of it all. But I also didnt get a refund (obviously as I hadnt paid anything into the US taxes):) Good luck.

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I had 0 income worldwide. I know I have to file worldwide income. I have not worked since I live here, my husband has supported me. I have no income whatsoever worldwide so I never filed as I was told if you don't have to file, don't file. And that was the advice from both american CPA and canadian CAs who do US taxes. So I didn't file now I'm filing 7 years as the IRS told me they want 7 years for me when I come back.

Timeline

I had 0 income worldwide. I know I have to file worldwide income. I have not worked since I live here, my husband has supported me. I have no income whatsoever worldwide so I never filed as I was told if you don't have to file, don't file. And that was the advice from both american CPA and canadian CAs who do US taxes. So I didn't file now I'm filing 7 years as the IRS told me they want 7 years for me when I come back.

Ok kewl. Just didnt want ya to miss something:)

Hope you hear something back soon!

event.png

Timeline

thank you you too.

I wish I would at least get the acceptance.

I'm trying to determine the process.

You file I130, then you get a note of acceptance and what you need, like documents, medical rcmp and you check off and send back,

Then you what? Get the interview?? What is packet III and IV???

I guess that is packet III but what is IV??

It's hard and I just filed, I can't begin to imagine what others who are waiting so much longer are going through.

Timeline

thank you you too.

You file I130, then you get a note of acceptance and what you need, like documents, medical rcmp and you check off and send back,

It's hard and I just filed, I can't begin to imagine what others who are waiting so much longer are going through.

ok here is what happens as I understand it..

You go to your local Embassy and file the I-130 and G-325's. You will be handed a piece of paper at that time that say"your immigration pettition (I-130) has been accepted--what happens next?" (if you didnt get one pm me and Ill type what it says to ya)

in 4-6 weeks you will recieve a packet containing your case number beginning with "mtl" (this packet is what includes the checklist of what you need.) It is advised to mail the checklist and DS-230 back ASAP. (even if you dont have the documents...just make sure to get them before the interview). (this is what used to be called packet 3) I am sitting at five weeks and still havent recieved mine yet.

Then in 6-8 months (according to the "has been accepted letter"-the phones at montreal are saying 5-7 months but still not much comfort) your interview will be scheduled. The letter stating your interview date is what is considered packet 4. If the recording in MTL is right the earliest you could even hope to get an interview would be Jan 19th or so. But Id say on a more realistic timetable you are looking at March to April 2011 for your interview. I know thats not what you want to hear....Its not really what I want to hear either but check out other DCFs timelines....for example, birdnerd filed on Jan 25, 2010 and still doesnt have an interview date set, which means if they give her an interview next month she will have been waiting 8 months from filing to interview date.

Then you do your medical, get the results and head to Montreal for your interview.

As always good luck:)

event.png

Timeline

thank you you too.

PS check this out http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

Edited by AMERICAN/CANADIAN

event.png

Timeline

I finally received my NOA1 from Montreal! Aug 10, 2010. Letter was dated July 29, 2010.

So now to send DS-230 Part 1 and part 2 and the checklist!

Im confused. You have in your timeline that the NVC recieved your documents? So does that mean you filed your I-130 via the lockbox and not DCF? Because from everything Ive read the NVC doesnt mess with DCF filers stuff at all?

event.png

Checklist question: I think this is for Packet 3? I received my case number from MTL and a checklist to send back with DS-230:

I have read numerous times on VJ that I do not have to have the actual documents in hand before sending Montreal my DS-230 and checklist, just have them ready by interview date.

But the letter from Montreal explicitly says you check it off when you have "obtained" the certificate or document and THEN send the checklist and DS-230 to them…plus they make you sign it to that effect.

What is your experience with this? Would it be fraudulent to obtain the documents AFTER signing and sending the checklist just to speed the process?

Will they notice that the date of my police certificate, for example, is AFTER the date I signed the checklist stating I already had this document?

(I just like to be letter perfect and follow the rules when sending things to them as I find it speeds the process)

Im confused. You have in your timeline that the NVC recieved your documents? So does that mean you filed your I-130 via the lockbox and not DCF? Because from everything Ive read the NVC doesnt mess with DCF filers stuff at all?

No, I corrected my timeline. That was a mistake.

Timeline

Checklist question: I think this is for Packet 3? I received my case number from MTL and a checklist to send back with DS-230:

I have read numerous times on VJ that I do not have to have the actual documents in hand before sending Montreal my DS-230 and checklist, just have them ready by interview date.

But the letter from Montreal explicitly says you check it off when you have "obtained" the certificate or document and THEN send the checklist and DS-230 to them…plus they make you sign it to that effect.

What is your experience with this? Would it be fraudulent to obtain the documents AFTER signing and sending the checklist just to speed the process?

Will they notice that the date of my police certificate, for example, is AFTER the date I signed the checklist stating I already had this document?

(I just like to be letter perfect and follow the rules when sending things to them as I find it speeds the process)

Not sure about this, but the at the rate they are going, I'm going to have to get another police certificate as the one I applied for 1st time around could be more than 12 months old by the time they schedule my interview. :bonk:

Timeline

Hi thanks Am/Can

Not good news for me. Thank you.

I see milover applied a month before me and just got the letter.

I got nothing from them when I applied. I have a receipt that I paid $355. They said I would get stuff in the mail.

Very depressing. But I know everyone is in the same boat.

Thanks

I really appreciate your help

Milover, please tell me did you apply June 11th and you just got your letter today??

Not sure about this, but the at the rate they are going, I'm going to have to get another police certificate as the one I applied for 1st time around could be more than 12 months old by the time they schedule my interview. :bonk:

Superspur - Wow, that doesn't seem fair. But good point, I guess yeah I should send the packet back and then get the police clearance and AOS, evidence of domicile, etc as those are going to take some doing.

Did you have a special case, i.e., kids, adoption, criminal history, or not married to a citizen that would extend the time it takes for them to process your case?

Timeline

Superspur - Wow, that doesn't seem fair. But good point, I guess yeah I should send the packet back and then get the police clearance and AOS, evidence of domicile, etc as those are going to take some doing.

Did you have a special case, i.e., kids, adoption, criminal history, or not married to a citizen that would extend the time it takes for them to process your case?

Nope, should be a standard application. My wife is a US citizen, no kids/adoptions/criminal history etc. Both (temporary) residents in Canada on work/study permits.

Myself and dawnlinnet have been waiting since Feb for an interviw, birdnerd since March. One of my police certificates runs out at the beginning of December.

housewife,

I filed I-130 in person at the Vancouver Consulate June 11, 2010. They said they'd mail it to Montreal that Monday (3 days later) and then it would arrive a few days after that. And that I would get notice of receipt from Montreal 2-3 weeks

after they receive it. However…

Montreal dated their letter to me July 29, 2010, and it arrived to me in Vancouver on Aug 10, 2010. So this was really 8.5 weeks total from the date I applied to get the next instructions.

(Checklist and letter with Case file number starting MTL).

Best of luck to you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.