birdnerd

Canadian DCFs Waiting for Interview in Montreal

789 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

WOW if I understand you correctly, you just made my day. I believe you are saying we have to pay;

I-130 fee (355.00-already paid)

the miscelaneous stuff (passport photos, criminal record check, long form birth certificate etc)

then the medical (275-375)

and then the $404 fee for the interview? (Do you happen to know what they call this fee or is it just the magical we spent five minutes interviewing you and taking your prints so we are gonna charge ya fee)?

Is that honestly all the fees there are? I thought there were several others (the ds 230, then the I485 to register as a resident but yall know way better than me) Once again let me thank you and say you have made my evening birdnerd!

That is pretty much it. Check near the bottom of this page: Visa fees

The actual (immediate relative) immigrant visa fee is $330, plus $74 security surcharge, so $404.

No upfront fee for the DS-230. Definitely don't need the I-485, as when you get and activate your visa (from Montreal) you *will* be a permanent resident, no need to 'adjust status' to become one.

Edited by birdnerd

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I spoke to the DoS this morning. They couldn't give me an update on my case as they said the National Visa Centre hadn't requested the visa from Montreal, and that there was a 3-year wait. He then transferred me to the NVC. I have a feeling he didn't know what he was talking about. The NVC have no record of my application and told me to contact the Montreal Consulate. :bonk:

Timeline

I am unsure why the NVC has no record of my application. This is the letter I received from Montreal last December:

visa1.jpg

This is the ONLY correspondance that I received that mentioned the NVC, and it contradicts the other letters I received from Montreal, and the process that people have discussed on this website.

Timeline

Does anyone know what my status 'should' be when I call the DoS? The answer they gave to the question "Has the Montreal consulate received the DS-230 I sent" was "They can't do anything until the NVC has a visa ready for you - there are none available right now and it will be up to 3 years wait".

Feeling pretty worried right now. I'm going to try and call Montreal (again) at lunchtime, but I don't expect I'll be able to get through to a human being there

I'm thinking I should just resend the DS-230 and checklist as it will be faster than trying to get a straight answer out of anyone as to whether the 1st package I sent was actually received and/or opened :angry:

Timeline

although I am new to the forum. I believe there was some miscommunication between you and the person you got ahold of. The three year wait for a visa is for people who are not moving with their family. Its for people just wanting to come to the US. There are a limited number of those visas issued each year. Hence the 3 year wait. As I already stated that doesnt apply to DCFers applying via the I-130 application. You would have to ask Birdnerd her opinion on wheter or not to resend the DS230 and checklist...when you sent it did you not send it with a tracking number so you would know when it was received? Good luck. Also I am about 99.9% sure you will not be able to talk to a person in Montreal. Their phones arent answered from what I gather. You can email them via the website, however some people have had limited or no luck wth this. I receieved emails back both times I emailed Montreal but my questions were pretty generic and had nothing to do with my specific case. Good luck.

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Timeline

although I am new to the forum. I believe there was some miscommunication between you and the person you got ahold of. The three year wait for a visa is for people who are not moving with their family. Its for people just wanting to come to the US. There are a limited number of those visas issued each year. Hence the 3 year wait. As I already stated that doesnt apply to DCFers applying via the I-130 application. You would have to ask Birdnerd her opinion on wheter or not to resend the DS230 and checklist...when you sent it did you not send it with a tracking number so you would know when it was received? Good luck. Also I am about 99.9% sure you will not be able to talk to a person in Montreal. Their phones arent answered from what I gather. You can email them via the website, however some people have had limited or no luck wth this. I receieved emails back both times I emailed Montreal but my questions were pretty generic and had nothing to do with my specific case. Good luck.

Thanks for the respose and information. I didn't think the guy I spoke to knew what visa I had applied for. I told him the timelines quoted on the letter from Montreal. I did send the package via trackable mail and it was received, but I don't know if it has been opened. I have tried emailing Montreal twice already but with ufortunately I'm one of the people who you say have had no luck, as I haven't had any response from them. I figure if there was a problem Montreal would have emailed back, but that is just me speculating.

Maybe I'll try the DoS again and see if I can get a different response. The guy I spoke to this morning seemed pretty angry from the get go and seemed to just want to transfer me to the NVC as quickly as possible.

I just don't understand the NVC part of the application - the letter I received from Montreal states that they do all the pre-processing, yet they have no record of my application? Maybe the letter was a form letter that goes out to all immigrant visa applicants regardless of whether they applied through DCF or not, and that portion doesn't apply (despite the fact that was the only letter I received thathad my name on it rather than just a generic information form).

Timeline

I dont think we go through the NVC at all because the process the NVC does is the i-130 approval (someone please correct me if Im wrong) and here that is done locally. I have heard from other DCFers that NVC has "no record" of them filing. Just remeber you already have the NOA2 so you know the process is started, also at this stage of the game you should have your case number. Another way you can know that you have officially started even if NVC doesnt know it. Good luck. I strongly suggest messaging birdnerd as she knows WAY more about the DCF immigration process than I do, as I just started:)

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am unsure why the NVC has no record of my application. This is the letter I received from Montreal last December:

visa1.jpg

This is the ONLY correspondance that I received that mentioned the NVC, and it contradicts the other letters I received from Montreal, and the process that people have discussed on this website.

Hello..

Excuse me.. im not from Canada,,..but I just want to point something.. Maybe Im wrong about this but...you highlighted the paragraph number 3 of the letter.. but that paragraph isnt checked .. so I think it does not apply to your case. What is checked is number SIX "PLEASE SEE ENCLOSED".. so What was enclosed with the letter?

Timeline

Hello..

Excuse me.. im not from Canada,,..but I just want to point something.. Maybe Im wrong about this but...you highlighted the paragraph number 3 of the letter.. but that paragraph isnt checked .. so I think it does not apply to your case. What is checked is number SIX "PLEASE SEE ENCLOSED".. so What was enclosed with the letter?

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I didn't even notice those check marks and I'm an idoit for missing them. No wonder I found that letter so confusing. The enclosed docs explained the DCF process. I guess the DoS transferring me to the NVC everytime I have called didn't help matters.

Edited by superspur

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I didn't even notice those check marks and I'm an idoit for missing them. No wonder I found that letter so confusing. The enclosed docs explained the DCF process. I guess the DoS transferring me to the NVC everytime I have called didn't help matters.

No problem ;) .. we all are confused and nervous about all DCF process. NVC has nothing to do with DCF..so they will never find your case. Thats the "saving time" part of doing DCF.

Good Luck !

Timeline

Hey superspur,

I can't see the letter you posted (it's no longer up), but I'll offer my two cents:

It sounds like they may be questioning your US citizenship status - perhaps without this proof they are assuming you are applying as a non-citizen (permanent resident)? In those cases, it can take years for a visa number to become available.

Did you send back the proof of citizenship that the letter requested? This may even have been an RFE for your I-130, that is where you have to prove US citizenship for the petitioner.

You received your DS-230 packet from Montreal, which implicitly approves your petition, so I presume they sent you a case number starting with MTL? Do you have photocopies of the package you sent back to them? I found my case number on the checklist page. DoS should be able to track you by that number.

No problem ;) .. we all are confused and nervous about all DCF process. NVC has nothing to do with DCF..so they will never find your case. Thats the "saving time" part of doing DCF.

Good Luck !

Haha, yes, the quick paperwork part to prepare us for the 6-month-plus wait for interview. :P:whistle:

Edited by birdnerd

Timeline

Hey superspur,

I can't see the letter you posted (it's no longer up), but I'll offer my two cents:

It sounds like they may be questioning your US citizenship status - perhaps without this proof they are assuming you are applying as a non-citizen (permanent resident)? In those cases, it can take years for a visa number to become available.

Did you send back the proof of citizenship that the letter requested? This may even have been an RFE for your I-130, that is where you have to prove US citizenship for the petitioner.

You received your DS-230 packet from Montreal, which implicitly approves your petition, so I presume they sent you a case number starting with MTL? Do you have photocopies of the package you sent back to them? I found my case number on the checklist page. DoS should be able to track you by that number.

Thanks for the reply birdnerd. We called the DoS again this morning and spoke with a really helpful women who was able to confirm all the papers we sent in have been received and logged, and that we are just in line for an interview date (I have no idea why the guy we spoke to yesterday couldn't tell us this but whatever, I think they guy was more confused than me!).

We had to give a full copy of my wife's US passport when we applied for the I-130. Montreal requested our proof of residency in Canada as part of the DS-230 package we sent in Feb. One of the reasons we had to wait until Feb to send the DS-230 package back was that we were waiting for our Canadian visas to be renewed. Our ref# starts MTL as well.

Name...............................I-130 Filed...........................DS-230 Returned............................Interview Date

dawnlinnet .......................Oct 2009..................................Feb 2010

superspur.........................Nov 2009.................................Feb 2010

birdnerd.......................... Jan 2010..................................Mar 2010

Adichiwa......................... Jan 2010..................................Mar 2010

choles..............................Mar 2010 (?).............................Apr 2010

leonsgal70.......................Mar 2010.................................Apr 2010

kimberlyk21....................Mar 2010.................................May 2010

Still to come:

Abike..............................Sept 2009

canok..............................Feb 2010 (?)

Saad & Sumera................Mar 2010

dabigbass.......................May 2010

Come on Guys...we need to send some prayers up to get this mountain moved!!!!!!! (F) I miss my hubby :(

PS...I got the job....I will be officially working in the US tomorrow...paycheck stub for domicile!

Amos 9:11

http://live.lifechurch.tv/

DCF USC married to Canadian

March 18, 2010 I-130 Submitted Ottawa (in person)

April 26, 2010 Packet 3 Request Arrives Canada Post, MTL # assigned

April 26, 2010 Overnighted Packet 3 Checklist and DS-230

April 28, 2010 Montreal Recieves Packet 3

July 21, 2010 left DH in Canada to prove domicile in USA :(

July 26, 2010 DOS contacted, Logged & Accepted, interview not yet scheduled

Interview------God Speed please!!! I miss my husband

Timeline

Come on Guys...we need to send some prayers up to get this mountain moved!!!!!!! (F) I miss my hubby :(

PS...I got the job....I will be officially working in the US tomorrow...paycheck stub for domicile!

Congrats, Lily!

One more item knocked off the checklist. :)

Thanks for the reply birdnerd. We called the DoS again this morning and spoke with a really helpful women who was able to confirm all the papers we sent in have been received and logged, and that we are just in line for an interview date (I have no idea why the guy we spoke to yesterday couldn't tell us this but whatever, I think they guy was more confused than me!).

We had to give a full copy of my wife's US passport when we applied for the I-130. Montreal requested our proof of residency in Canada as part of the DS-230 package we sent in Feb. One of the reasons we had to wait until Feb to send the DS-230 package back was that we were waiting for our Canadian visas to be renewed. Our ref# starts MTL as well.

That's great news (that they've logged your paperwork), but still crappy news about the no date. :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.