max

n400 based on 5 year rule

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I have a interview scheduled at the end of August. I apply base on being LPR for 5 years. I have been previously married to the USC. I became LPR since 05. I married in 03 and was divorced in 08. On the n400 form i checked divorced. My question here; what are the chances to be asked of our marriage and the reason of divorce.

Is there anybody who was in the situation like that or similar?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a interview scheduled at the end of August. I apply base on being LPR for 5 years. I have been previously married to the USC. I became LPR since 05. I married in 03 and was divorced in 08. On the n400 form i checked divorced. My question here; what are the chances to be asked of our marriage and the reason of divorce.

Is there anybody who was in the situation like that or similar?

Thanks

To my understanding, when applying based on 5 years, marriage, divorce or anything related to that is no longer an issue. You qualify based on living in the US for a period of time they assigned. If the IO wants to ask, it will not be questions to base your eligibility for naturalization.

Most probably the IO will go over the application and make sure everything you answered is correct by verifying what you say with what you wrote. They will also make sure that since you applied for naturalization nothing major changes (such as arrests, DUIs, travel, etc...). Then they will proceed with the civics, written and oral exams and you should be out of there in no time.

Cheers!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Thanks bunch, i was just wondering how i should prepare myself...Read some posts here about people being question about their marriages...to verify if the marriage is/was legit?

No major changes for me....Also i read here too that some will not get "congratulations" right away but have to wait till the case is verified....what does it mean..? They were ok'ed on civil test but didn't get approval yet?

To my understanding, when applying based on 5 years, marriage, divorce or anything related to that is no longer an issue. You qualify based on living in the US for a period of time they assigned. If the IO wants to ask, it will not be questions to base your eligibility for naturalization.

Most probably the IO will go over the application and make sure everything you answered is correct by verifying what you say with what you wrote. They will also make sure that since you applied for naturalization nothing major changes (such as arrests, DUIs, travel, etc...). Then they will proceed with the civics, written and oral exams and you should be out of there in no time.

Cheers!

I did submitted it with N400 even they didnt ask...and will take with me 2...thanks for a hint

Don't forget to include divorce decree - they will definitely ask for it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Max,

if you are applying based on being a LPR for 5 years, your marriage and divorces are not relevant anymore. The marriage is needed as a QUALIFIER for an applicant who's only a LPR for 3 years. You are beyond that point, so there was no need to include it with your application.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Your chances to be asked about a previous marriage are NONE, I was in your choes, I had my interview tuesday, my interview took less than 10 mins and I was approved. dont stress your self much about that just review the question and you will be fine GOOD LUCK

sorry I meant shoes lol

Can you write up how your interview went and where it was?

When did you get divorce? Did you fill out "divorce" on N400 and while interview the IO didnt ask about it? Did you bring a divorce decree?

Thanks

Your chances to be asked about a previous marriage are NONE, I was in your choes, I had my interview tuesday, my interview took less than 10 mins and I was approved. dont stress your self much about that just review the question and you will be fine GOOD LUCK

sorry I meant shoes lol

Anyone with the 5 year Interview experience? Share please...

I search the forum but there is not too much of the info. Majority is about 3 yr...

Thx

Can you write up how your interview went and where it was?

When did you get divorce? Did you fill out "divorce" on N400 and while interview the IO didnt ask about it? Did you bring a divorce decree?

Thanks

• 5 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This post, from above, is operative:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/265181-n400-based-on-5-year-rule/?p=4066098

---

Five-year-old thread is now closed to further comments.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.