one...two...tree

Filipinos Against Arizona Immigration Law SB1070

303 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The following are statements from the National Federation of Filipino American Association (NaFFAA) on this controversial anti-immigration law.

Statement by the NaFFAA National Board

On Arizona's Anti-Immigration Law

We join the voices of civil rights leaders, constitutional rights scholars and legal experts across the country who have expressed grave concerns about Arizona's anti-immigrant enforcement law, SB 1070. Among other things, this measure allows law enforcement to question anyone based on "reasonable suspicion" that they may be undocumented. Even citizens and legal immigrants caught not carrying proof of their U.S. legal status could be charged as felons.

We share the widespread alarm within the Asian Pacific American community that this law legalizes unchecked racial profiling by police authorities and places all minorities under constant suspicion. It instills fear and distrust in government and undermines this country's principles of justice, fairness and equal treatment under the law.

Sixty four years ago, our own Carlos Buloson wrote about being treated like a criminal because he was Filipino. During his time, Filipinos were often the target of racial violence. Law enforcement authorities routinely stopped and searched cars with Filipino men. "I came to know afterward that in many ways it was a crime to be a Filipino in California," Bulosan wrote in his autobiography. "I came to know that the public streets were not free to my people."

We've come a long way as a nation in welcoming people from different lands who wish to make America their home. Arizona's new law is a step backward and moves this great country in the wrong direction. It brings back the America that rejected Bulosan for being Filipino. As immigrants, we've all toiled and suffered and shared the same journey when we came to this country. We have enriched America with our skills and talents. We have built strong communities and contributed immensely to our nation's progress.

It's for these reasons that we urge Congress to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill that reunites families, strengthens communities and promotes basic freedoms. We call on our elected officials to once and for all enact an immigration reform measure that upholds our Constitution, respects civil liberties and human rights, and celebrates our nation's values of inclusiveness, compassion and justice.

NaFFAA invites everyone in the Filipino American community to endorse this statement and join us in working together for a fair, just and humane immigration reform.

- – - – - – - – - – -

The National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA) is a private, non-profit, non-partisan tax-exempt organization established in 1997 to promote the active participation of Filipino Americans in civic and national affairs. NaFFAA is composed of 12 regions with a national office in Washington, D.C. that monitors legislation and public policy issues affecting Filipino Americans. NaFFAA partners with local affiliate organizations and national coalitions in advocating for issues of common concern.

National Federation of Filipino American Associations (NaFFAA)

email:

phone: 202.361.0296

web:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes i agree with this law also! Im surprised that this coalition would be against this. I always considered the philippine culture to be conservative and abide by the laws. maybe things are changing.

This is nothing new! this has been the law, its just that now someone actually wants to enforce IT!

I'm against the law , because its far too expensive and difficult for the average poor person to ever make it to the usa. My ancestors came here without any needed approval from the native americans.

If its fair for us to be here, its fair for anyone to be here.

I feel if someone is here , not legally and they are working and have not got into trouble then allow them to be legal and stay

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

I feel if someone is here , not legally and they are working and have not got into trouble then allow them to be legal and stay

They broke the law. Free entry into the US. I have to wait 8-10 months at least for a visa for my wife. They get free health care and education. I pay up the nose for health care and my kids will have high tuition's and be unlikely to get in to a UC or Cal State college as a freshman. We did what you suggest back in the 80's. Are we going to keep doing this every 20 years? The border states are all ready groaning under the financial burden of the illegal immigration policy.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Timeline

by your reasoning, why not just everyone be here! all the jobs would be gone and we will all live off the few rich people that will be left after all this health care ######.

your way of thinking and the power shift will come in november , watch the news!

facts are that SB1070 is not a new law just a re-enforcement of current federal law that gives local law enforcement the ability to question suspected illegal aliens, if you are in the US legally then why worry ? :whistle:

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

[quote name=NVC FAN :(' date='10 July 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1278813118' post='4057891]

by your reasoning, why not just everyone be here! all the jobs would be gone and we will all live off the few rich people that will be left after all this health care ######.

your way of thinking and the power shift will come in november , watch the news!

Yes I believe in open borders, I think everyone should be able to come here. Its far too expensive to come here the legal route thats why we have these problems. They should make immigration cheaper/easier, or just drop the laws.

Other countries offer paths to be legal so why not?

Edited by nonversation

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Timeline

Laws are laws, obey and respect. I would support a iron curtain on our borders. I worked all my life and served my country, I'm proud to be an American. I just can't understand why many races are forming coalitions against this. If you ask me its efffing stupid. If you are here legally then its fine to live the American life but if you are illegal then get the hell out of here and go back to your country. Arizona is a patriotic state by enforcing a federal law.

I'm against the law , because its far too expensive and difficult for the average poor person to ever make it to the usa.:blink: My ancestors came here without any needed approval from the native americans.

If its fair for us to be here, its fair for anyone to be here.

:rofl:

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

facts are that SB1070 is not a new law just a re-enforcement of current federal law that gives local law enforcement the ability to question suspected illegal aliens, if you are in the US legally then why worry ? :whistle:

TY for bringing sanity to this insane discussion. Why would anyone want to initiate such a thread? :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Why is this even a Topic ? LAWS are LAWS and if you are illegal then get the h e l l out of here, it took alot of time and money to get my fiancee a visa so do things the right way. I can go on and on with this topic and I am sure if I was at a bar debating it with some idiot that is against it that this would turn physical. I just dont understand the mentality of these illegals !!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes I believe in open borders, I think everyone should be able to come here. Its far too expensive to come here the legal route thats why we have these problems. They should make immigration cheaper/easier, or just drop the laws.

Other countries offer paths to be legal so why not?

I don't think it is possible in today's post 911, to have open borders. However, I do think that anyone who is hard working and wants to make a better life for themselves should be given a reasonable chance to do so. What I find odd is that so many here are bringing over spouses (most often Filipinas) from a Third World country with relative ease and yet they are so opinionated against Mexicans coming here for a better life. Right now as it stands, if you are poor and from Mexico, there is no legal pathway to immigrate here, short of marrying a Kano. We've got plenty of Filipinas who sought out a Kano to specifically immigrate here for a better life. Most Pinays here share more in common with the Mexicans wanting to immigrate to the U.S. than with their own Kano husbands.

Edited by El Buscador

Timeline

It doesn't matter a law is a law. I know my history as I have lived all my life here. The point is that this law is enforced because of illegal Mexicans. I was in Arizona a few weeks ago. Upon leaving the mall there were cops stopping and questioning Hispanics for identification but I was not stopped passing in front of them as well as my Vietnamese buddy that was with me. I'm convinced Arizona did this for the illegal Mexicans.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.