namechangedude

False name use

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I need some advise. I worked illegally under a different name. This came up during the change of status process. That wasn't a problem during the interview, I apologized to the officer as I legitimately misunderstood the question. I thought it only had to do with Maiden name usage, legal name changes and such.

Now I'm about to apply for naturalization and the question is there again. Should I just fill in N/A or should I write down the false name I used. Ironically I decided to do that to avoid any issues in case I wanted to formalize my status, now I'm not so sure it was a good idea. Any suggestions? I did pay all my taxes under the flase name and never had any problems with the law. Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I need some advise. I worked illegally under a different name. This came up during the change of status process. That wasn't a problem during the interview, I apologized to the officer as I legitimately misunderstood the question. I thought it only had to do with Maiden name usage, legal name changes and such.

Now I'm about to apply for naturalization and the question is there again. Should I just fill in N/A or should I write down the false name I used. Ironically I decided to do that to avoid any issues in case I wanted to formalize my status, now I'm not so sure it was a good idea. Any suggestions? I did pay all my taxes under the flase name and never had any problems with the law. Thanks in advance.

Well it certainly is not N/A as you already have come out with this info, and it most likely noted in your "A" file

YMMV

Timeline

Hey thanks for the replies. To the first question, I payed all my back taxes with my current social security number. Although the W2s showed both my false name and a made up ssn. To payxibka, what is an "A" file? Thanks again.

Although the W2s showed both my false name and a made up ssn.

Nice, someone will receive better retirement benefits because of you ;)

To payxibka, what is an "A" file? Thanks again.

It is your immigration file that contains all the immigration related information about you, filed under your Alien Registration Number (A Number).

Filed: Other Timeline

If you mentioned this at AOS, and you just worked under a "made up" name and a "made up" SSN, and did not claim to be a US citizen, it should not be an issue at all. Working without authorization is forgiven at AOS, so if there had been an issue with misrepresentation, it would have backfired 3 or 5 years ago already.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thanks for all the help. So let me see if I have this right. Whether I decide to fill in the information about the false name or if I just fill in N/A, it won't really matter since that is part of the completed AOS process.

So just a show of hands...N/A or false name?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

Edited by namechangedude

If they already know about it don't worry. Just tell them again so they don't accuse you of withholding information. If they ask you why you did that in the interview tell them you desperately needed to work and explain you have already told them during AOS. At least you weren't on the street selling crack or something, you tried to make money honestly and everyone needs to eat don't they?

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You definitely cannot put N/A - that means it is not applicable and it is applicable. Not putting the name you used down is misrepresentation --you are hiding a material fact that could have an impact on your application. USCIS already knows about it from the earlier interview so if you don't declare the same information now, it will appear that you are deliberately trying to misrepresent the truth. You did use another name so you do have to put that down. They will do security searches on that name as well to make sure it has no criminal records.

The situation with the faked SSN may or may not be serious. You may wish to have a consultation with a competent immigration lawyer and discuss that situation before you submit your application.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thank you all so much. I didn't even think about the background check part, I guess they'll want to check both names. I just wanted to make sure. I'll just fill in the name.

As far as the SSN I later found out that it didn't even follow a valid ssn structure, in other words, that combination will never be assigned unless there is a change in the ssn nomenclature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.