mexi

i got a freaking problem

13 posts in this topic

wanna make it short. its been a year & 3 months since my I-94 card expired AND we have not filed for AOS. Why? Because my wife got pregnant & I am not the richest man on earth. keeping your feet on the ground to survive really is not easy, esp when a baby is around. We did not have the $ to afford to file. Although... we married within the 90 day. Are we in so much trouble? We are now preparing the papers.... but q is, is it going to be denied? :(:(:( help! :help:

anyone who filed after 194 expiration experiences?

heeeeeeeeeeelp :(

Aug 16 06 - Mailed AOS by Fedex 2Day

Aug 25 06 - NOA for AOS & EAD

Aug 30 06 - Received mail for Biometrics Appointment

Sept 6 06 - AOS Transferred to CSC

Sept 9 06 - Biometrics Appointment

Nov 03 06 - EAD APPROVED!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOT!

Nov 20 06- AOS APPROVED!!!! OMG THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU! ..now just waitin for d card to arrive ^_^

update* card arrived after a few days :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
wanna make it short. its been a year & 3 months since my I-94 card expired AND we have not filed for AOS. Why? Because my wife got pregnant & I am not the richest man on earth. keeping your feet on the ground to survive really is not easy, esp when a baby is around. We did not have the $ to afford to file. Although... we married within the 90 day. Are we in so much trouble? We are now preparing the papers.... but q is, is it going to be denied? :(:(:( help! :help:

I think your best bet would be to ask a qualified Immigration attorney....and maybe even use one.

Mary K.

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Filing within the 90 days protects your legal status as a K1 visa holder. If you are planning to remain in the US, you must file the AOS as soon as possible, and be prepared to explain the delay during the interview.

All you can do is try. This is the next step, so you must file if you are planning to remain here. IMHO, you'll be ok -

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Timeline

mexi,

Sure, many people have applied to adjust status after their allowed stay expired - my wife bing one of them - but not many applied as late as you are doing.

Don't know if the application to adjust will be denied or not, but if it is denied it won't be on the grounds that you applied late.

Mary's suggestion to have a consultation with an immigration attorney isn't a bad idea.

Yodrak

wanna make it short. its been a year & 3 months since my I-94 card expired AND we have not filed for AOS. Why? Because my wife got pregnant & I am not the richest man on earth. keeping your feet on the ground to survive really is not easy, esp when a baby is around. We did not have the $ to afford to file. Although... we married within the 90 day. Are we in so much trouble? We are now preparing the papers.... but q is, is it going to be denied? help!

heeeeeeeeeeelp

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Mexi-

My wife entered the USA on a Visa Waiver program June 04'( 90 days) we got pregnant and she had severe morning sickness, so she could leave before her 90 days expired,

We had planned a wedding in Japan however our soon to be aby had other plans for us, We held off AOS application until we found a place together and were settled with our daughter, having the baby actually gives more stability legitimacy to your case so waiting ended up being good for us.

We were married Oct 04' and di not apply for AOS until June 2006, so almost 2 years since her expired stay!

Fast forward to now! I am Australian American US citizen We filed ourselves in June 2006 ,

the total cost ( see attached for cost breakdown) ws less than $1000.00

We have Not had any RFE's no problems at all. Our interview letter came only 42 days after filing , our interview will be on day 96. :dance:

Once the Intending immigrant is married to USC and AOS is filed the Overstay is most often forgiven, I am not sure about the regulations regarding your particular Visa ( thats why legal advice is reccomended) you need to work on establish evidence of your marriage ( proving it is legit) and start preparing the AOS package.

You can save a lot of $$ by doing it yourself, I agree with others that consulting an Attorney is a good idea, but you do not neccesarily need one to file.

Often people are hestitant to file because they are worried of the costs. You can file to have the fees waived! :thumbs:

with a little research you can do it yourself

starting in this forum & here---> Immigration portal

and on USCIS web page

Good luck!

AOS_Filing_costs.doc

Edited by Addie_Goodvibes

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

ahh i feel like i wanna cry. Thanks for VJ was created. Everybody esp. Addie_Goodvibes you are so helpful. THANK you for such effort to reply that long and informative. i do appreciate it very much. I wonder in the interview if they ask why so late of filing, to say because we did not have sufficient $, IS proper reason excuse? Does that sound pathetic? We dont wanna lie! That really was the real reason.

Anyhow, anybody else who had similar situation. Sorry for asking and asking. Just need to see that I am not alone and to see what you guys did or maybe to make me feel better. :unsure:

again thanks in advance ...

Nov 20 06- AOS APPROVED!!!! OMG THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU! ..now just waitin for d card to arrive ^_^

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Mexi,

I applied for AOS 3 years after my I-94 expired. Our Interview is at the end of the month and we have not recieved any RFE's or had trouble receiving an EAD.

I am not going to be represented by an attorney but I have done a lot of research into immigration law and how it pertains to my case. Overstaying my visa is not a concern at the interview since it is forgiven when married to a citizen.

My advice is if you are comfortable and have a full understanding of the paperwork and proceedure involved in your case you do not need to use an attorney.

If you feel that mistakes might be made or you don't understand everything that is involved then find a way to get some worthy representation. This thing is too important to screw up.

Best of luck to you!

EAD

05/19/06 Filed Forms

05/21/06 Received At Chicago Lockbox

05/26/06 Notice Of Action

06/05/06 Touched

06/13/06 Touched

06/21/06 Biographic Appointment

06/24/06 Touched

08/01/06 Approved

08/05/06 Received Card

AOS

05/19/06 Filed Forms

05/21/06 Received At Chicago Lockbox

05/26/06 Notice Of Action

06/05/06 Touched

06/21/06 Biographic Appointment

06/24/06 Touched

08/09/06 Touched

08/28/06 Interview Pending Name Check

10/05/06 Touched

10/09/06 Touched

02/20/07 Touched

02/27/07 Received Approval Email

03/02/07 Received Approval Letter

03/03/07 Received Welcome Notice

03/05/07 Received Card Production Email

03/08/07 Received Card

Timeline

Another less expensive option if you are worried about filing yourself, use a paralegal or Legal Document Assistant, they charge 1/4 what an attornmey would,

we were quoted 2500. + USCIS fees for attorney and A Legal Document Assistant Quoted us $500.00 + Uscis fees. Big difference and Attorneys often use paralegals or LDA's to prepare the actual cases they only act as representative, its the LDA, & Para Legals that prepare and mail the actual Applications.

We still deicded to file oursleves but sometiems its worth having peace of mind for an EXPERIENCED professional to prepare documents for you LDA or paralegal can do it usually for a lot less.Another adavntage to using a LDA is when they mail your AOS application instead of An attorneys office being the address of where USCIS sends all correspondances, All correspondances ( NOA's RFE's ect..) will go Directly to your address, think of how many cases an Immigration office handles you think your paper work received from USCIS is handled immediatly by attorney office, an RFE could sit for a few days before the attorney can or bothers to act on it, But having things go to your home you get them immediatly, can act immidiatly and expidite case, if you need an attorney you can always hire one after filing.

Chew on that for a while..

One important Note PARA-LEGALS & LDA's Can not give legal advice and can not act as a legal Representative!

Good Luck

Edited by Addie_Goodvibes

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have never read a story here from a person that had a problem with late filing. I think you are worried about nothing.

Don't cry "broke" too loud. Ninety percent of our interview was about money and we were easily over the guidelines.

Lawyers are cool if you have a lot of money. I don't really see why you would need one for this. Just fill the forms and get this thing in the mail.

You will need another medical examination though. Yours has expired.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can also save some money by not co-filing for an AP (advance parole) when you file. Your wife should not leave the country until after she is approved for her green card since the overstay is not technically forgiven until after the AOS is approved. Once you file, her status will change from overstay to "AOS applicant". Yes, do explain that the unexpected pregnancy, while joyful to have your daughter, became a financial obstacle that you couldn't overcome to pay for the AOS fees. You should be fine. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

thank you all very much :blush: and yes... we are not filing an AP, we are not getting a lawyer either. We are really on a strict budget. ... She had taken another medical exam so no worries on that.

anyway I'll just mail it asap and see what happens.

Timeline
thank you all very much :blush: and yes... we are not filing an AP, we are not getting a lawyer either. We are really on a strict budget. ... She had taken another medical exam so no worries on that.

anyway I'll just mail it asap and see what happens.

Before sending go here ------>General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing

Also for fee waiver info -----------> Fee waiver Guidlines

Fee Waiver info

Also include a cover letter with your application ( see attached for example)

AOS_cover_letter.doc

USCIS__Assembling___Mailing_tips.doc

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I just filed late... way late... No problems so far. Just don't leave the country until your aos is complete.

2/14/05 Arrived USA

3/08/05 Married.

5/14/05 K1 expired.

5/30/06 AOS and EAD Apps Received by USCIS. (Had tax issues and what not so it took a year before I could file for the AOS).

6/29/06 AOS Touched.

8/03/06 EAD Touched.

8/04/06 AOS Interview Letter Received by Mail.

8/09/06 EAD Approval received in Email.

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.