moctar

Eligibility Review Unit

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My wife had her immigrant visa interview last week in Dakar, Senegal, and our case was referred to the Eligibility Review Unit for research and processing. Has anyone gone through this before? and if so, how long does this process take? and what the purpose of this?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

The reason the case went to this department is because someone in that unit thinks their is some evidence of fraud going on.

Mine went through this unit and also a few others that I know of.

Guess what, they were ALL turned out to be fraud AFTER they were approved for their visa. In my case, they did everything but sit me down and plainly say "uh, your husband is a fraud and you need to stop your petition right this moment". Naturally I wouldn't have believed them and would have did everything humanly possible to prove them wrong (which I did). Well, they were right.

All I can say is, if your case ends up in this unit, start looking long and hard at your situation to see why they feel it is fraud.

These people actually live in Dakar and know all the customs, language, idiosyncrasies, ....everything about what fraud looks like.

I personally thought, "hey, they are American just like me. They don't know my marriage". Well, turns out they did but can not, by law, force you to abandon a petition if you can prove that YOU THINK your marriage is real and legit, even if it isn't.

I think they will just approve the petition and take a "I told you so" stance after the fact.

Good luck in your review and be careful.

P.S.

Here's a barometer..

If the case is in review and they make her come to more than one fraud interview over the months, not to be funny, but you definitely should do some soul searching.

Hi Everyone,

My wife had her immigrant visa interview last week in Dakar, Senegal, and our case was referred to the Eligibility Review Unit for research and processing. Has anyone gone through this before? and if so, how long does this process take? and what the purpose of this?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

there's no fraud in my case. So I am not worried about that at all.

Thanks for sharing your story.

The reason the case went to this department is because someone in that unit thinks their is some evidence of fraud going on.

Guess what, they were ALL turned out to be fraud AFTER they were approved for their visa. In my case, they did everything but sit me down and plainly say "uh, your husband is a fraud and you need to stop your petition right this moment". Naturally I wouldn't have believed them and would have did everything humanly possible to prove them wrong (which I did). Well, they were right.

All I can say is, if your case ends up in this unit, start looking long and hard at your situation to see why they feel it is fraud.

These people actually live in Dakar and know all the customs, language, idiosyncrasies, ....everything about what fraud looks like.

I personally thought, "hey, they are American just like me. They don't know my marriage". Well, turns out they did but can not, by law, force you to abandon a petition if you can prove that YOU THINK your marriage is real and legit, even if it isn't.

I think they will just approve the petition and take a "I told you so" stance after the fact.

P.S.

Here's a barometer..

If the case is in review and they make her come to more than one fraud interview over the months, not to be funny, but you definitely should do some soul searching.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When Leedah talks, it's very wise indeed to listen.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Leedah,

When I asked the consular section they said nothing about fraud. But they send me the following message: "Sorry no updates on your case yet. At this point we are not requiring any document from you or Mrs. ********. We have initiated all our inquiries, and are waiting for replies. We cannot reliably predict how long this will take, however."

Does this looks familiar to you?

Also, the reason I said there is no fraud in my case is because me and my wife are from the same country "Mauritania" and I know her very well and I know the system very well too. So There is no fraud in that regard. Is it possible that they are just conducting background checks on my wife?

I appreciate if you can provide me with your take on this.

Thank you.

P.S.

Here's a barometer..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Yes, that is EXACTLY what they told me. Wow, amazing.

They do that (the waiting game) to give the intending immigrant who is considered a fraud time to get frustrated & tired of waiting and just take off.

I don't know how I feel telling you this bit of information because I know that you would obviously tell your wife and if she is a fraud, she will undoubtedly keep on for the prize.

You also mentioned being from the same country and knowing your wife.

I lived in my ex's country off and on since 2005 and I thought I knew him also. I traveled back and forth from the U.S. to Senegal, traveled into Gambia by bus (6 to 8 hours) by myself every month and eventually learned the language just to keep from getting lost. I am the same religion (muslim), I am a black person (same as my ex), I have children from a previous person who is from the same country AND same area, have met (several times) the whole family, etc etc.

Say all that to say,....it doesn't matter.

If your case ends up in review, something is amiss.

No one has time to review cases months and months at a time and perform extra interviews on a whim.

Good luck.

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I never went through this situation but I did suffer a loooooong wait for AP to finish and this does not sound like background checks. Due to privacy issues many times the embassy will not reveal all the information they have to the petitioner regarding the intended immigrant. As Leedah stated the embassy has a lot of other things to do than personally investigate a person's background. Something must have come up examples being, prior visa petitions to the US or other countries, prior marriages or engagements, prior overstays in the US or other countries that raised red flags as to immigrant intent or rather trying to get out of her country, or it could be an issue with an immediate family member that makes the embassy believe she is only trying to obtain a green card.

Leedah,

So how long did it take before they actually finished their inquiries and approve the visa?

When I said me and my wife from the same country, I also meant we are from the same culture and we have a very strong relationship. So as I said there is no worry about any kind of fraud in the relationship.

But thank you for your warnings and for sharing your information anyway.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what they told me. Wow, amazing.

They do that (the waiting game) to give the intending immigrant who is considered a fraud time to get frustrated & tired of waiting and just take off.

I don't know how I feel telling you this bit of information because I know that you would obviously tell your wife and if she is a fraud, she will undoubtedly keep on for the prize.

You also mentioned being from the same country and knowing your wife.

I lived in my ex's country off and on since 2005 and I thought I knew him also. I traveled back and forth from the U.S. to Senegal, traveled into Gambia by bus (6 to 8 hours) by myself every month and eventually learned the language just to keep from getting lost. I am the same religion (muslim), I am a black person (same as my ex), I have children from a previous person who is from the same country AND same area, have met (several times) the whole family, etc etc.

Say all that to say,....it doesn't matter.

If your case ends up in review, something is amiss.

No one has time to review cases months and months at a time and perform extra interviews on a whim.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.