JasonS

Is there a back log on a biometrics appointment?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We sent the I-751 to the CA office in April and recieved i797c,notice of action on 4/26/10

Is there a backlog? I already called the number on the i-797c paper we recieved and the lady seemed surprised we havent recieved a biometrics apppintment letter yet and said she would email the CA office and if we didnt hear from them in 45days to call back.

My wifes green card expires in 2 weeks but we do have the letter stating its extended for a year.

We live in AZ and as you probably know there is a big illegal immigration law that goes into effect at the end of the month,should my wife carry this letter along with her green card or can they just run her green card number to verify shes not here illegaly if she ever has any type of police contact?

I-129F Sent 05-11-07

NOA1 05-31-07

NOA2 09-28-07

Left NVC 11-05-07

Packet 4 Received 11-16-07

Medical Exam 11-29-07

Interview Date 12-06-07

Visa Recieved 12-11-07

US Entry 12-19-07

Marriage 12-24-07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There's definitely a backlog going on and many of us believe it's because a glitch in the system was sending out two different biometrics appointments for the same person for a few weeks. This either created a false backlog in the system or USCIS is trying to fix the issue and has the appointments on hold for a while. Hopefully they will restore the system and things will start moving again soon.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Same thing here, Vermont got our I-751 mid-May and still no biometrics letter. We called twice and sent a letter, during the second phone call I could speak to an Immigration officer and she was able to confirm there was still nothing scheduled for us.

I-751 timeline (Vermont)

05/11/2010 - I-751 mailed

05/14/2010 - NOA1 received

05/21/2010 - USCIS touch

07/10/2010 - USCIS touch

08/11/2010 - Biometrics (mailed on 07/23/2010)

08/13/2010 - Card production ordered

08/23/2010 - Green Card in the mail :)

Yes - their system doubled the number of biometrics appointments and therefore, people have to wait longer for them.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We sent the I-751 to the CA office in April and recieved i797c,notice of action on 4/26/10

Is there a backlog? I already called the number on the i-797c paper we recieved and the lady seemed surprised we havent recieved a biometrics apppintment letter yet and said she would email the CA office and if we didnt hear from them in 45days to call back.

My wifes green card expires in 2 weeks but we do have the letter stating its extended for a year.

We live in AZ and as you probably know there is a big illegal immigration law that goes into effect at the end of the month,should my wife carry this letter along with her green card or can they just run her green card number to verify shes not here illegaly if she ever has any type of police contact?

Wait a minute. You sent the I-751 and received a notice from USCIS? That notice is your extention letter. Once they receive the application, they send out those notices and they clearly say your residency has been extended for a year to cover work and travel. Unless you got something totally different from what the rest of us got, the first paragraph will tell you what I just said so you shouldn't worry about being in Arizona.

Timeline

Wait a minute. You sent the I-751 and received a notice from USCIS? That notice is your extention letter. Once they receive the application, they send out those notices and they clearly say your residency has been extended for a year to cover work and travel. Unless you got something totally different from what the rest of us got, the first paragraph will tell you what I just said so you shouldn't worry about being in Arizona.

Thanks all im glad its not just me with this problem.

Yes i know my wifes visa was extended in the letter i recieved, which is what i wrote in my first post. But the physical green card she has says it expires in 2 weeks, which i why i asked if she should carry this letter in her purse incase she has any police contact for instance pulled over for a traffic violation. Or can they just look at the expired card and radio in the A# to verify its been extended or would they detain her until ICE can verify her extension? I know there is a very small chance this could happen but i dont want her to go thru ann experience like that. I will just tell her to carry this letter with her when the card expires.

I-129F Sent 05-11-07

NOA1 05-31-07

NOA2 09-28-07

Left NVC 11-05-07

Medical Exam 11-29-07

Interview Date 12-06-07

Visa Recieved 12-11-07

US Entry 12-19-07

Marriage 12-24-07

Timeline

Thanks all im glad its not just me with this problem.

Yes i know my wifes visa was extended in the letter i recieved, which is what i wrote in my first post. But the physical green card she has says it expires in 2 weeks, which i why i asked if she should carry this letter in her purse incase she has any police contact for instance pulled over for a traffic violation. Or can they just look at the expired card and radio in the A# to verify its been extended or would they detain her until ICE can verify her extension? I know there is a very small chance this could happen but i dont want her to go thru ann experience like that. I will just tell her to carry this letter with her when the card expires.

Oh o.k I get it now. I doubt she will need to carry it with her. I know I don't. If ever she gets pulled over, they will ask for ID (drivers license is all she needs to show. The arizona law will require police to arrest people who CAN NOT provide legal Identification. A drivers license is really all she needs. She can't afford to carry the NOA around and lose it.

Oh o.k I get it now. I doubt she will need to carry it with her. I know I don't. If ever she gets pulled over, they will ask for ID (drivers license is all she needs to show. The Arizona law will require police to arrest people who CAN NOT provide legal Identification. A drivers license is really all she needs. She can't afford to carry the NOA around and lose it.

----------------------

Nope, that is not what the Arizona Law says.She will have to show proof that she is here legally and a drivers license is not proof of immigration status. The green card and letter is your proof of legal status. You may want to schedule an infopass appointment to get her passport stamped.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I also placed a service request, but with VSC not CSC, for a missing bio appointment letter, and I got an e-mail response in a few days. Once you get your response, you can find out if your ASC is backlogged, or perhaps you didn't receive the biometrics appointment.

Best of luck!

Timeline

I also placed a service request, but with VSC not CSC, for a missing bio appointment letter, and I got an e-mail response in a few days. Once you get your response, you can find out if your ASC is backlogged, or perhaps you didn't receive the biometrics appointment.

Best of luck!

Ya we gave the lady our email and she said its possible they could email us or send a letter but it could take up to 45 days,its been over a week since we called.

I-129F Sent 05-11-07

NOA1 05-31-07

NOA2 09-28-07

Left NVC 11-05-07

Medical Exam 11-29-07

Interview Date 12-06-07

Visa Recieved 12-11-07

US Entry 12-19-07

Marriage 12-24-07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There have been cases where getting the 10 year green card has taken over a year and filing for citizenship will bump the process. So this is nothing really new but usually more geared towards red flagged files. But do not discount the backlog either.

The form extending her green card a year is just that. That is her proof she is legal. I'd be skittish carrying around the original because if it is lost that would cause problems. Make a copy of it and carry it around with the Green Card for now.

-Dawn(Vinny-Irish/Dawn-American)

08/14/13: CITIZEN! We are done!

Timeline

----------------------

Nope, that is not what the Arizona Law says.She will have to show proof that she is here legally and a drivers license is not proof of immigration status. The green card and letter is your proof of legal status. You may want to schedule an infopass appointment to get her passport stamped.

No you are wrong. If that is the case then U.S citizens will also have to drive around with their birth certificates in addition to drivers license. The law will have police arrest people they suspect to be illegal if they have probable cause to think so i.e not having any proper ID. Citizens only have to leave their house with their drivers license to go to the grocery store. They will lose thier minds if the law ask them to take thier passports/birth certificate in case they get pulled over on their way just to go buy milk so they can prove they are citizens. Think about the inconvenience to citizens and to an extent permanent residents.

No you are wrong. If that is the case then U.S citizens will also have to drive around with their birth certificates in addition to drivers license. The law will have police arrest people they suspect to be illegal if they have probable cause to think so i.e not having any proper ID. Citizens only have to leave their house with their drivers license to go to the grocery store. They will lose thier minds if the law ask them to take thier passports/birth certificate in case they get pulled over on their way just to go buy milk so they can prove they are citizens. Think about the inconvenience to citizens and to an extent permanent residents.

---------------------------------------

Permanent residents are already required by federal law to carry their green card with them. What kind of probable cause do you think there would be for a natural born American citizen to be questioned about immigration status? I am not sure about requirements for naturalized citizens to carry documents, but I think I would if there was any chance of needing them. A previous poster had a great idea, making a copy of the letter and carrying it with you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here is a link to the PDF describing the text of Arizona Senate Bill (SB1070) as amended by the Arizona House Bill (HB2162).

http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF

If this does pass into law, I would advise anyone in AZ to have proof of their citizenship or immigration status.

US Passport Cards may be more popular if this passes...

Timeline

---------------------------------------

Permanent residents are already required by federal law to carry their green card with them. What kind of probable cause do you think there would be for a natural born American citizen to be questioned about immigration status? I am not sure about requirements for naturalized citizens to carry documents, but I think I would if there was any chance of needing them. A previous poster had a great idea, making a copy of the letter and carrying it with you.

My point exactly. Naturalized citizens will therefore be forced to carry passports or naturalization certificates if drivers license isn't enough. The law says "if police have reason to believe someone is illegal" after failing to produce any form of document to suggest otherwise. When you get pulled over, no cop will ask for your passport, birth certificate, or naturalization certificate. Those things will come to play if you fail to produce a drivers license. Majority of U.S citizens in Arizona support this bill but they won't support it if they are required to carry more than a drivers licence when they leave home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.