Knoll

Church marriage after having K-1 visa in hand

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello All,

I did search before writing this but did not find anything specific on this topic. Sorry to those in advance if this comes off as a stupid question or offends anyone.

Here's the plan:

Assuming my fiancée receives her visa in coming months, once she actually has it in hand, I was planning to fly to Ukraine and marry her in her church there amongst family and friends (that is, have a formal church ceremony). After the church wedding ceremony in Ukraine, we would return together to the USA. Can doing this jeopardize her K-1 visa if say somehow the authorities learn that we married in the church in Ukraine, before using her visa to travel to the United State? Do they even care? Who else did this and did you get a marriage certificate from the church?

Thank you.

Knoll

TKNoll

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you marry in the Ukraine before she gets here then she is no longer a fiancee but a wife and the visa would be void.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you marry in the Ukraine before she gets here then she is no longer a fiancee but a wife and the visa would be void.

Please, you need to understand that a church wedding is NOT recognized in Ukraine. The only valid way to get married is at the ZAGS office... as long as you do not do the ZAGS wedding you are not officially married

YMMV

Please, you need to understand that a church wedding is NOT recognized in Ukraine. The only valid way to get married is at the ZAGS office... as long as you do not do the ZAGS wedding you are not officially married

That may be true, but what a USCIS official thinks of what looks like a wedding might be a different story. I have heard of people on these boards that had even just an engagement ceremony that looked like a wedding and they had trouble.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't see any problems with it as long as the ceremony doesn't make it official (I'm not sure how it works in your country). Be safe and do it once you have your visa in hands. And once again, don't make your marriage LEGAL until you are in the US.

K-1 TIMELINE:

05-11-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: called the Military Help Line and requested for expedite

06-04-2009: NOA2

06-14-2009: NVC letter received in the mail

07-02-2009: Packet 4 received

08-27-2009: Interview - Visa approved!

09-03-2009: visa in hands.

09-20-2009: POE - Miami

09-21-2009: we got married!

AOS TIMELINE:

05-12-2010: NOA1

06-08-2010: Case transferred to CSC

06-21-2010: Biometrics

Timeline

That may be true, but what a USCIS official thinks of what looks like a wedding might be a different story. I have heard of people on these boards that had even just an engagement ceremony that looked like a wedding and they had trouble.

That is because they "flaunted" it. If the USCIS or the consulate are not made aware of it, how can they have a problem with it?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You should be fine as long as it's not a legal ceremony. I would avoid carrying like...a photo album of the wedding in her luggage, but otherwise as long as you LEGALLY marry in the United States it's ok to have a non binding ceremony in another country. Most of the time people only run into trouble with this at the interview, which will clearly be over by that point.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

I think it's a wonderful idea and i'm sure your fiancée and her family will appreciate the opportunity to be part of your wedding celebration. As you said the church wedding is not recognised as marriage (even in her country) until official ceremony in the government/civil office, therefore i do not think it would be deemed valid/official by US immigration officers. This is how it used to work in Poland up to recently - now the wedding in church is reported to the civil office and deemed valid. I guess it would be worth double checking, whether the church would forward the information about your wedding to the government etc.

Anyway, good luck to you both!

Agnieszka (beneficiary)

K1 I129

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

I-129F Sent : March 3,2010

I-129F NOA1 : March 13,2010

I-129F NOA2 : July 8,2010 (55 days)

Packet 3 Received : July 28,2010

Packet 3 Sent : August 10,2010

Medical: August 31,2010 (London)

Packet 4 Received

Interview Date : October 25,2010 (approved)

Passport/visa received

US POE: Chicago, December 28,2010

AOS I485/ EAD I765/ AP I131

AOS sent/delivered: March 19/21,2011

NOA email/text notification (x3): April 22, 2011

NOA (x3) hard copy received: April 27, 2011

Biometrics letter received: May 02, 2011

Case transferred to California(email): May 16, 2011

AP/travel document approved(email): May 18, 2011

Biometrics appointment: May 23, 2011

EAD/employment approved(email): May 26, 2011

EAD/AP card received: June 4, 2011

AOS/I485 approved: June 28, 2011

AOS approval notification email: July 1, 2011

Green Card received: July 8, 2011 (exactly a year from NOA2 for K1 visa)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello All,

I did search before writing this but did not find anything specific on this topic. Sorry to those in advance if this comes off as a stupid question or offends anyone.

Here's the plan:

Assuming my fiancée receives her visa in coming months, once she actually has it in hand, I was planning to fly to Ukraine and marry her in her church there amongst family and friends (that is, have a formal church ceremony). After the church wedding ceremony in Ukraine, we would return together to the USA. Can doing this jeopardize her K-1 visa if say somehow the authorities learn that we married in the church in Ukraine, before using her visa to travel to the United State? Do they even care? Who else did this and did you get a marriage certificate from the church?

Thank you.

Knoll

Your plan will render her visa NULL AND VOID. BAD idea. She MUST enter the USA as a fiancee with a fiancee visa. You MUST get married in the USA and submit a US marriage certificate with the AOS. Doing it any other way is FRAUD and subjects her to being deported and barred from future visas of any type.

If you WANT to marry her in Ukraine, then DO SO and file for a CR-1 visa. That is WHY they have differnet types.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I think it's a wonderful idea and i'm sure your fiancée and her family will appreciate the opportunity to be part of your wedding celebration. As you said the church wedding is not recognised as marriage (even in her country) until official ceremony in the government/civil office, therefore i do not think it would be deemed valid/official by US immigration officers. This is how it used to work in Poland up to recently - now the wedding in church is reported to the civil office and deemed valid. I guess it would be worth double checking, whether the church would forward the information about your wedding to the government etc.

Anyway, good luck to you both!

WRONG! Unlike Ukraine the US recognizes religious weddings. If it is a "legal marriage" under the laws of the church it is a legal marriage accepted in the USA. We have separation of church and state, the USA cannot make any distinction between church and civil weddings. Doing this is a terrible idea. Proceed at your own risk and be aware the penalties are severe.

Do it in reverse. Have her come HERE, marry HERE in a civil ceremony, file for AOS, return to Ukraine and get married in the church. OR get married in the church and file for a CR-1.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You are correct that the GOVERNMENT of Ukraine does not recognize ANY religious wedding. Absolutely true. However the government of the UNITED STATES recognizes ALL religious ceremonies as a legal marraige. The OP would be able to apply for AND RECEIVE a CR-1 visa based on a Ukrainian church wedding ONLY. If it is VALID to receive a spousal visa, then it is equally as valid to negate a K-1 visa. By the same token, the Ukrainian government does not recognize ANY marriage in the US unless it is registered with ZAGs.

Ukraine also has some strict residency requirements for a marriage. Unlike the US where anyone can get married any time, in Ukraine you must meet residency requirements, though such things can usually be avoided with a bribe.

while it may be true "if no one knows, what difference does it make?" it is a dis-service to the OP to say it is "OK" to do so, it is not.

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

[ However the government of the UNITED STATES recognizes ALL religious ceremonies as a legal marraige.

While I agree with you that it is a bad idea to do this, I don't think this statement is true. Generally speaking, Thanks to the principle of comity, the United States recognizes the laws of foreign countries. Thus if the marriage was not 'legal' in the Ukraine, The US would not recognize it. i.e. if there was no marriage certificate, license etc, then the US would not consider it a legal marriage.

to the OP, I still think this is a risky idea...why chance it?

Edited by idaho_and_surigao

01-June-2010 I-129F Filed CSC Finally!!!!! After almost three years and 1 baby! Its a great day!

08-June-2010 NOA1

11-June-2010 'touched'

25-October-2010 NOA2

01-November-2010 NVC Received

03-November-2010 Placed into AP at NVC : (

18-November-2010 Case Sent to Manila 18 days in AP..not too bad!

6-7 December- 2010 Medical at SLCC...PASSED!Thank you Lord!

20-December-2010 Interview, USEM VISA APPROVED!

3-Jan-2011, Visa received

12-Jan-2011, POE SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA

11-Feb-2011, Married in Minneapolis MN : )

Timeline

You are correct that the GOVERNMENT of Ukraine does not recognize ANY religious wedding. Absolutely true. However the government of the UNITED STATES recognizes ALL religious ceremonies as a legal marraige. The OP would be able to apply for AND RECEIVE a CR-1 visa based on a Ukrainian church wedding ONLY. If it is VALID to receive a spousal visa, then it is equally as valid to negate a K-1 visa. By the same token, the Ukrainian government does not recognize ANY marriage in the US unless it is registered with ZAGs.

I respectfully disagree here Gary... even in the USA, if you are not married by a "registered" officiant qualified to perform marriages in that jurisdiction, you are NOT married (unless of course you reside in a a common law jurisdiction, which is not even in play here).... Every "ordained" minister, pastor, priest, etc... must in fact register with the respective state or they cannot perform a "legal" marriage.

YMMV

Timeline

Your plan will render her visa NULL AND VOID. BAD idea. She MUST enter the USA as a fiancee with a fiancee visa. You MUST get legally married in the USA and submit a US marriage certificate with the AOS. Doing it any other way is FRAUD and subjects her to being deported and barred from future visas of any type.

If you WANT to marry her in Ukraine, then DO SO and file for a CR-1 visa. That is WHY they have differnet types.

You can have as many "ceremonies" as you want... you can only have ONE marriage event... and it must occur in the USA or one of its territories.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.