Heracles

More families are homeless and on the streets

16 posts in this topic

More families are homeless and on the streets

By Tami Luhby, senior writerJune 17, 2010: 8:59 AM ET

homeless.gi.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Great Recession drove more families into homeless shelters in 2009, a new federal report has found.

Some 170,000 families needed shelter last year, up from 159,000 in 2008, according to an annual survey from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. There were 535,000 people in those families.

Over the course of the past year, the number of people in homeless shelters dipped slightly to 1.56 million, from 1.6 million a year earlier. This translates into one of every 200 Americans.

On a single night in January 2009, there were just over 643,000 homeless people nationwide. But, there are fewer people actually on the streets. More than 60% of people were in emergency shelters or transitional housing programs, while 37% were on the street or in other places not meant for human habitation. In 2008, some 42% were living on the streets.

"As a nation, we appear to be doing a better job sheltering those who might otherwise be living on our streets, but clearly homelessness is impacting a greater share of families with children," said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan.

The economic downturn has most likely spurred the surge in homeless families, which numbered only 131,000 in 2007. Homelessness rises with job loss, said Mercedes Marquez, an assistant HUD secretary.

It's likely that many more homeless families are staying with friends or relatives and may wind up in shelters in the near future. Some 29.4% of adults in families who entered shelters in 2009 said they had been staying with relatives, up from 24.2% in 2007.

One reason for the overall drop in homelessness is the increased federal effort to help those chronically on the street. Nearly 111,000 long-term homeless were on the streets on a single night in January 2009, down more than 10% from a year earlier and nearly 30% from 2006.

Marquez attributes the decline to the construction of additional permanent supporting housing: Some 42,000 beds were added between 2006 and 2009.

Families need more help

Families also stayed longer in shelters in 2009, with the median number of nights rising to 36, up from 30 a year earlier. Most of these families are headed by women under the age of 31, and more than half of children in shelters are under the age of 6. But more families with two adults and more headed only by a father also fell into homelessness, indicative of the recession's toll, Marquez said.

By contrast, homeless individuals are overwhelmingly male and over age 30. More than 10% are veterans and more than 40% have a disability.

Homelessness is heavily concentrated in large coastal states, with California, New York, and Florida accounting for 39% of the single-night count in January 2009.

Nevada had the highest concentration of homeless people, with 0.85% of its population without permanent shelter. The state, which is also at the heart of the housing bust, is followed by Oregon, Hawaii, California and Washington. Meanwhile, Kansas, South Dakota, and West Virginia had the nation's lowest concentrations of homeless.

Housing officials hope that a $1.5 billion homelessness prevention program, funded by stimulus money, will assist families who need help. Also, next week the administration plans to unveil a new effort to combat homelessness. To top of page

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Also, next week the administration plans to unveil a new effort to combat homelessness.

And what would that be? Putting people back to work as was promised...let's see, how long ago ?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And what would that be? Putting people back to work as was promised...let's see, how long ago ?

Government can't create jobs/growth.

With the tax hikes going through the roof, expect unemployment and more of this within the next year...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Government can't create jobs/growth.

With the tax hikes going through the roof, expect unemployment and more of this within the next year...

I love that argument. Lower taxes equals jobs. Lower taxes means more in the pockets of the wealthy, that is pretty much it.

In the roaring 50's and 60s, the highest tax rate was close to 90%.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love that argument. Lower taxes equals jobs. Lower taxes means more in the pockets of the wealthy, that is pretty much it.

In the roaring 50's and 60s, the highest tax rate was close to 90%.

I never said anything about taxes on the wealthy.

I simply said Government can't create jobs and the tax hikes are harmful.

Those tax hikes effect small businesses directly as well. It's not all about the 'rich'

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

By contrast, homeless individuals are overwhelmingly male and over age 30. More than 10% are veterans and more than 40% have a disability.

Homelessness is heavily concentrated in large coastal states, with California, New York, and Florida accounting for 39% of the single-night count in January 2009.

Can't say I've ever seen a homeless family in this country out on the street. Most homeless I've fit the description of the first couple of sentences

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Can't say I've ever seen a homeless family in this country out on the street. Most homeless I've fit the description of the first couple of sentences

And you live near Atlanta?

It just kills me that you guys write blank checks for anything military oriented but expect the homeless to pull their boots up. Realistically, once someone gets into such a rut here, how do they get out of it? It's not as if they receive unemployment benefits and a range of other benefits to get them on their feet, as they would in AUS. So when people say ha ha Australia has no military, it's because we invest our money on our citizens like these.

What gets me angry about this though is the bloody idiots who still cheer on illegal aliens and worry about their plight. Perhaps Steven and co can come tell me how illegals will help these people.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

And you live near Atlanta?

It just kills me that you guys write blank checks for anything military oriented but expect the homeless to pull their boots up. Realistically, once someone gets into such a rut here, how do they get out of it? It's not as if they receive unemployment benefits and a range of other benefits to get them on their feet, as they would in AUS. So when people say ha ha Australia has no military, it's because we invest our money on our citizens like these.

I live about an hour away from Atlanta.

Most of the chronic homeless have severe mental problems, drug/alcohol problems or are criminals. Merely handing these checks or giving them housing rarely solves the problem.

Your connection between the military and the homeless isn't clear. You're claiming Australia has no military (really?) because no joins it because they're all too healthy and happy thanks to massive social spending? You go invest your time and money on Skid Row. I'm sure they could use your expertise and can do attitude.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

I blame the GOP.

Obama zombie? Still hoping? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

I blame the GOP.

One does have to wonder when a party says country first, yet couldn't give a rats azz about the people; yet wants to make sure these same people they don't care about, are protected against those foreign evaders.

A country by definition is made by its people and is for its people, thus We the people. Otherwise, if a country doesn't care about its people, it might as well just get it over with and become a NK.

Edited by Booyah!

One does have to wonder when a party says country first, yet couldn't give a rats azz about the people; yet wants to make sure these same people they don't care about, are protected against those foreign evaders.

A country by definition is made by its people and is for its people, thus We the people. Otherwise, if a country doesn't care about its people, it might as well just get it over with and become a NK.

Hey Boo, give each one of them a couple thousand? That would pay for a months rent a change of clothes and some chow. Dude I dare you to give a grand to the first homeless person you see, then trackem and see what they do! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Money well spent? Report back before you talk shite!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

obama needs to take care of the illegal aliens before taking care of citizens ...

That's the future of the party. Can't let millions of dependent voters go to waste. Maybe they will soon be able to vote in US elections when living in Mexico and other spots in Latin America. Hell...why can't they vote in elections in both countries no matter where they live? Life is great when you have dual citizenship. Just another bennie of being an amnestied illegal alien. They already vote in their own elections while living here illegally. Why not the other way when they get amnesty?

Obama will even send their Social Security checks wherever they want them sent. He'll even credit them for the Social Security they accrued under fake numbers and under fraud. Party hacks will do anything to rig an election in their favor. Welcome to Tammany Hall and Chicago politics rolled up into one. It's all about them.

Meanwhile...if you are a single citizen of the USA you are screwed. Welcome to the Obamanation.

We can only hope the more moderate Democrats will flee that idiot Obama like many Republicans fled the Bush legacy. Hope and change is what we need.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995