_Simpson_

Vuvuzelas ruining World Cup experience

54 posts in this topic

JOHANNESBURG – They are plastic, noisy and cost no more than a few bucks. And they are, sadly, sabotaging the World Cup.

The constant droning of the vuvuzela – the traditional South African horn that has been a permanent backdrop to this tournament – is becoming such an annoyance to fans, players and television viewers that soccer’s governing body is considering drastic action.

According to a source who has regular contact with top World Cup officials, FIFA president Sepp Blatter, FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke and World Cup organizing committee chief Danny Jordaan will hold fresh talks over the next few days to discuss whether to reverse policy and implement a vuvuzela ban.

They should.

Remarkably, in a tournament involving the finest, richest and most controversial soccer stars on the planet and a misbehaving soccer ball, the most-discussed issue has revolved around a brightly colored plastic instrument so simple that a child could blow it.

It takes a lot to distract the world from the event it has waited four years and focus on something so apparently trivial, yet tortured eardrums and pounding headaches have done just that only four days into the month-long World Cup.

Supporters everywhere have reacted angrily to the continuous use of the horns, which have been heard on television broadcasts every second of the games so far. But the problem for soccer’s loyal fans is not so much the ever-present buzz – enterprising locals have made a small fortune by selling earplugs to help drown out the sound for those in attendance. It is more about what is missing, namely the typical color and atmosphere that is normally seen at top-level matches.

Because the vuvuzelas create a wall of sound, there has been little of the usual chanting, singing and roaring that are a staple of soccer games everywhere else in the world. Even the fans of the England national team, normally among the loudest in international soccer, could not bring themselves to muster their usual diet of boisterous chants and songs during Saturday’s 1-1 draw with the United States, effectively admitting defeat to the almighty horn.

Furthermore, players admit they have struggled to concentrate amid the noise and there have been regular communication problems among teammates. Slovenia’s Samir Handanovic and Marko Suler screamed furiously at each other in their team’s victory over Algeria following a mixup that almost led to a goal for their opponent.

“It is impossible to communicate,” said Argentina’s Lionel Messi, the world’s best player. “It is like being deaf.”

Some fans might already be thinking that deafness is not such a bad option compared to the incessant aural assault they are currently suffering through. The vuvuzela, which is made to replicate the call of an elephant, comes across as a drone on television. In real life, though, the noise reaches 144 decibels, equivalent to the sound made by a passenger jet.

Also, vuvuzelas come with only one sound, one pitch. Fans blow them as hard as they can during dead periods of action as they do after a thrilling moment, so there is none of the inspirational roar from fans that urges an attack from their team. None of the imaginative and patriotic chants are sung to light up games. None of the childish yet always amusing crescendo aimed at increasing a goalkeeper’s nerves as he steps up to take a goal kick is heard.

Portugal plays its first match Tuesday. The team – which played in the Confederation Cup in South Africa last summer – knows what awaits them. And it’s not happy about it.

“There is something missing,” star Cristiano Ronaldo said. “I like the atmosphere of football; it is beautiful. This is not beautiful.”

There is an argument that this is South Africa’s event and the rest of the world should adapt. But this is more than a South African event. The World Cup is a truly global spectacle – and the world is making itself heard that it doesn’t want its ears bashed any longer.

Edited by _Simpson_

This article acts like this annoying buzzing only happens in Africa but it seems every time I watch a soccer game I hear that annoying buzzing. What am I missing here?

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I do miss the chanting and the songs - was looking forward to the different countries hooligans, too.

This VuVuwotsit has removed 'that fun' for me.

B@stards.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This article acts like this annoying buzzing only happens in Africa but it seems every time I watch a soccer game I hear that annoying buzzing. What am I missing here?

There are people with horns and clackers. Apparently the Vuvuzela is louder. It's longer so it probably would be...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is annoying even watching on TV... Usually background audio is drowned out pretty easily, but not those things...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A 3 year-4 month-1week journey ends on 09/20/2013, and a new one begins!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If this were in the US and some annoying horn we had, they would have been banned. :whistle:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

I've gotten used to the million Africanized bees buzzing along the game. It's sweet, sweet music to my ear now.

I want more. I want bigger, louder vuvuzelas.

f09_23592709.jpg

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've gotten used to the million Africanized bees buzzing along the game. It's sweet, sweet music to my ear now.

I want more. I want bigger, louder vuvuzelas.

f09_23592709.jpg

What the idiots in FIFA fail to realize is that home viewers stuff dollars into their pockets... If they don't want to ban them, at least limit the amount of people with them to 40% or something. I am sure it would be a lot less harmful for the folk enjoying the game at the Stadium (144dB times 50k nutjobs) and easier for us to watch the games.

A 3 year-4 month-1week journey ends on 09/20/2013, and a new one begins!

Drodga is entering now. Here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's what I thought too.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Vuvuzelas have been controversial.[3] They have been associated with permanent noise-induced hearing loss,[4] cited as a possible safety risk when spectators cannot hear evacuation announcements,[5] and potentially spread colds and flu viruses on a greater scale than coughing or shouting.[6

The sound level of the instrument has been measured at 127 decibels[15][4] contributing to football matches with dangerously high sound pressure levels for unprotected ears.[16] A new model, however, announced on 14 June 2010, has a modified mouthpiece which is claimed to reduce the volume by 20 dB.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela