JorgeGu

Ex wife collecting means based assistance

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Question, I married this woman in 2004, we separated in 2005 when I found out about her infidelity, she had been conditionally approved by then; she left the country for a while and came back and she married and had a child from an american man; I hear she is gets some help from the welfare department in terms of milk and what have you; is there any chance I might be liable for having sponsored her with an Affidavit of Support back then? back at that time I called Immigration and they asked me to write a letter withdrawing the Affidavit but now I read in other posts that the last chance to cancel it is just before the conditional green card is issued. Thanks for your opinions.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Question, I married this woman in 2004, we separated in 2005 when I found out about her infidelity, she had been conditionally approved by then; she left the country for a while and came back and she married and had a child from an american man; I hear she is gets some help from the welfare department in terms of milk and what have you; is there any chance I might be liable for having sponsored her with an Affidavit of Support back then? back at that time I called Immigration and they asked me to write a letter withdrawing the Affidavit but now I read in other posts that the last chance to cancel it is just before the conditional green card is issued. Thanks for your opinions.

Did she personally get the benefits or were they filed through her husband an/or child? If it is the latter, there wouldn't be any danger.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you say left the country for a while.... what does that mean? Did she give up her residency when she left for a while?

YMMV

the important question is what is her current status. since she was only conditionally approved... it is almost certain that she is either unlawfully present OR obtained status through this other person. Assuming the latter you have to obligation.

Filed: Timeline

Did she personally get the benefits or were they filed through her husband an/or child? If it is the latter, there wouldn't be any danger.

I have no way of knowing if she filed through her husband or child, the child is American by birth; her husband has a technical job with a company so I doubt he participated in the filing, he would have been rejected. Also replying to others: she left the country and came back apparently without losing her conditional residence, I'm not sure if her new husband claimed her for removal of conditions or if she filed on her own as I was told she could do, the fact is that she ended up being a permanent resident and married last year, has a child and get assistance; I hear she is in the process of bringing two other children from former marriages so I keep wondering how she manages to get assistance and qualify to bring more mouths to feed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have no way of knowing if she filed through her husband or child, the child is American by birth; her husband has a technical job with a company so I doubt he participated in the filing, he would have been rejected. Also replying to others: she left the country and came back apparently without losing her conditional residence, I'm not sure if her new husband claimed her for removal of conditions or if she filed on her own as I was told she could do, the fact is that she ended up being a permanent resident and married last year, has a child and get assistance; I hear she is in the process of bringing two other children from former marriages so I keep wondering how she manages to get assistance and qualify to bring more mouths to feed

She cannot file ROC based on a new marriage... just not how it works.... must have been on her own, which means your affidavit is still in effect

YMMV

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I am no expert, but it seems to me like there is a good chance that she committed some type of fraud in order to qualify, if she was in fact the person that applied for aid. If her current husband has a good salary, shouldn't that keep her from qualifying as well, assuming they are part of the same household? Really, you need to do quite a bit more investigating to find out what really is happening. I do realize that it may not be easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am no expert, but it seems to me like there is a good chance that she committed some type of fraud in order to qualify, if she was in fact the person that applied for aid. If her current husband has a good salary, shouldn't that keep her from qualifying as well, assuming they are part of the same household? Really, you need to do quite a bit more investigating to find out what really is happening. I do realize that it may not be easy.

It sounds like she's getting WIC, which apparently isn't means tested. Someone else said something about it a while back

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Now-a-days even city officials end up qualifying for benefits and aid- who knows how and why this is possible...

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

sounds to me like its WIC. You don't have to be a US Citizen to be eligible for WIC and its not means tested benefit. It's for women who are pregnant, newborns to 5 yr olds and income must be 100 percent of Federal Poverty Guideline but can not be more than 185 percent of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

You conditions of support only last for 2 years anyway, so you should be ok ... Good luck

Absolutely False --- -1

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You conditions of support only last for 2 years anyway, so you should be ok ... Good luck

This is so incredibly wrong. For your own sake please re-read the I-864 instructions. The I-864 lasts a LOT longer than that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Absolutely False --- -1

You guys are really rallying for the -1 lol... But kudos for noticing the error in advice

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.