Europeanboy

Can you lose your GC if N400 denied for a stupid reason?

12 posts in this topic

I am getting my 10-year green card now and I am eligible to file 3-year marriage based N-400 in 7-8 months from now. My wife and I had a lot of evidence when filing I751 but We don't have a house together neither We are ready for a kid. You never know if the IO interviewing you is gonna give you hard time for no reason or...cause I've heard that if for some reason they decide that you lie you lose your GC. I don't know. If N-400 is denied do they also take your green card or how does it work? Is is worth all that stress or should I just wait for the 5-year residence requirement. Most likely I don't think so... you just lose your $700 for the fee.

I am getting my 10-year green card now and I am eligible to file 3-year marriage based N-400 in 7-8 months from now. My wife and I had a lot of evidence when filing I751 but We don't have a house together neither We are ready for a kid. You never know if the IO interviewing you is gonna give you hard time for no reason or...cause I've heard that if for some reason they decide that you lie you lose your GC. I don't know. If N-400 is denied do they also take your green card or how does it work? Is is worth all that stress or should I just wait for the 5-year residence requirement. Most likely I don't think so... you just lose your $700 for the fee.

I highly doubt it. When applying for naturalization - all they can deny you for is citizenship. Now that you are approved for the 10 year GC, they should not doubt your marriage anymore.... unless you go to them and tell that you committed fraud....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A friend was denied in Milwaukee, actually they gave her a request for more evidence because her USC spouse didn't add her to his home deed. They actually let him in where he brought a letter from his bank stating he would have to refinance his home at great expense to add her name. And he also brought in copies of state statues, in the event of a divorce, she would get half of his home anyway. She got her USC, guess this depends on your IO, when she applied for her ten year card, this was not a problem for her.

So if you do own a home and also will encounter that expense, can submit reasons why its not practical. Having a kid is always good evidence. Just seems like a lot depends upon your IO and what side of the bed they got up on that morning.

I just wonder when they train a person to become a USC IO, they don't tell them about all that AOS and I-751 stuff they put us through, its like you never dealt with the USCIS before. Thought that I had to show USC, proof I was free to marry, and yet another marriage certificate was completely redundant. How in the hell did they think my wife got a green card in the first place? Out of a Cracker Jack box?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are many reasons one could deny you the N-400. It's not as likely that they would revoke your Green Card though unless there is a strong reason for it. Mostly criminal or affliations with enemy governments or actually living and working in another country and just coming back for the interviews etc.

The worst thing most people face is just a denial of the applications (yes the loss of the filing fee) which you do have a chance to appeal as well after. IO's asking for more information is pretty common though. Not having a house isn't an issue. Just as long as there is evidence you guys didn't marry for immigration you should be fine.

So don't worry about having the Green Card revoked at all, that happens in rare cases with extreme reasoning behind it. The way you stated you had a lot of evidence when you filed shows that you should be totally fine. My (ex) wife and I rented an apartment, never owned anything jointly but one car and one of our bank accounts and that was it. I easily flew through the interview, even if I had a few traffic tickets from the past (which he didn't care about). So nothing to worry about in your case...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

When applying for naturalization - all they can deny you for is citizenship.

Not true. If a determination is made that material misrepresentation was made for any past immigration benefit, that benefit and all subsequent benefits can be revoked. If, during naturalization, they determine that a material misrepresentation was made on the original entry visa, the permanent residence can be revoked and deportation proceedings started.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Not true. If a determination is made that material misrepresentation was made for any past immigration benefit, that benefit and all subsequent benefits can be revoked. If, during naturalization, they determine that a material misrepresentation was made on the original entry visa, the permanent residence can be revoked and deportation proceedings started.

Seems like falsifying, omitting, misrepresenting, or just downright lying on any for the forms you provided to the USCIS is the most major crime, more so than the crime itself in getting deported. As long as you were 100% honest in filing your forms, should be nothing to worry about.

Read on the net where people answered no to that did you ever commit a crime and were never caught for question. If they did get caught later on, not only a jail term, but can be expected to be deported afterwards, for lying.

Timeline

Seems like falsifying, omitting, misrepresenting, or just downright lying on any for the forms you provided to the USCIS is the most major crime, more so than the crime itself in getting deported. As long as you were 100% honest in filing your forms, should be nothing to worry about.

Read on the net where people answered no to that did you ever commit a crime and were never caught for question. If they did get caught later on, not only a jail term, but can be expected to be deported afterwards, for lying.

One of the most common ways for revokation of the Green Card is when people register to vote when they were permenant residence. This is a huge thing for the USCIS and people have found themselves in a lot of problems when they knowling have registered to vote in citizen only elections...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

Timeline

One of the most common ways for revokation of the Green Card is when people register to vote when they were permenant residence. This is a huge thing for the USCIS and people have found themselves in a lot of problems when they knowling have registered to vote in citizen only elections...

Makes guy wonder if those 20% of the voting population that do show up are all LPR's.

Also seems unfair that an LPR isn't allowed any say on how their town wastes the huge amount of property taxes they collect. But its the law.

Filed: Other Timeline

There are quite a few reasons why an N-400 can be denied. Insufficient English, failing the Civics Test, having a criminal history, excessive absence from the US, fraudulent I-751 application (i.e., applicant was divorced but nonetheless filed jointly with USC spouse).

In most cases, the N-400 denial has no influence on the applicant's residency. The exception would be that once the applicant's immigration history is reviewed, a case of misrepresentation comes to light, such as having claimed to be a USC, registered to vote, having been convicted of a crime such as prostitution or drug offense, etc.

Is it worth risking to lose the filing fee? Is gaining US citizenship worth the effort? That's something only you can answer as it applies only to you. It's also dependent on what country of citizenship you currently hold, meaning whether you would lose that or not.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Know a dude who was denied citizenship couple of times for various reason. He didn't lose his legal residency status. He's a citizen now with his family.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Timeline

Poster did state losing your green card with a N-400 application for a stupid reason. Wonder what that stupid reason is? Any deportation has to be done in a court of law, do they permit stupid reasons for means of deportation? Or do they need a damn good reason?

Timeline

Poster did state losing your green card with a N-400 application for a stupid reason. Wonder what that stupid reason is? Any deportation has to be done in a court of law, do they permit stupid reasons for means of deportation? Or do they need a damn good reason?

Of course they did say they've heard if you lie they could take the GC away. Well lying on the N-400 and the interview definatly won't score you points with the IO or USCIS that's for sure. Actually lying and getting caught is far worse then just admitting something on the N-400 and interview. At there it shows you're honest about past mistakes. But guess it does depend on the severity of the lie.

Saying you never got cited before, but having gotten a speeding ticket is not a lie and nothing to worry about (since USCIS stats not to mention tickets if they are under $500 and not DUI related)

Saying you didn't serve as a ranking Nazi official or were ever part of the Nazi party when you gassed a bunch of people in a concentration camp is a lie and you have everything to worry about as your citizenship is stripped and you are sent out of the country back to where you originally came from.

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.