Moosker

What would you say?

21 posts in this topic

I have a great job that I do enjoy, but my work load is getting more and more slim each day. There have been days that I literally have nothing to do but send 5 emails and wait for replies. It's an odd predicament to be in. I constantly ask my boss for more work and he informs me that "projects" are coming - but 9 months later, still nothing.

Today I have a phone interview with another company. I know they'll say "why are you looking to leave your current position?"

What would YOU say? :thumbs: Thanks!!!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

I wrote this on another forum board, but they're not very responsive yet this morning :)

So....

I have a great job that I do enjoy, but my work load is getting more and more slim each day. There have been days that I literally have nothing to do but send 5 emails and wait for replies. It's an odd predicament to be in. I constantly ask my boss for more work and he informs me that "projects" are coming - but 9 months later, still nothing.

Today I have a phone interview with another company. I know they'll say "why are you looking to leave your current position?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say something like : 'Right now I am not meeting the challenges I had set myself professionaly and am looking for a workplace/job where I'll be able to come to my full potential'

Good luck!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I always hate that question in interviews, it seems like such a trick question. :lol:

Never say you're bored and never talk about pay. That's all I know.

I like Vero's response... in fact I'm going to use that from now on too. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say that I'm looking for new opportunities to grow and learn more beyond what I am currently working on. I'd probably also mention that I'm the type of person who loves new challenges and I see this new position as a place where I can not only grow and learn, but also use my past experience to make a positive contribution.

It's not always about you, but you should always try to bring the answer back to how you will benefit the new organization.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Very nice!! Thank you so much!

I feel like it's a trick question, but I have to answer it. I love the people I work with now, my boss is great, great organization, but sitting here day after day with nothing to do is killing me. I'm starting to feel guilty!

Right now I am not meeting the challenges I have set for myself professionally and am looking for a workplace where I'll be able to utilize my full potential. I see the ________ position as a place where I can not only grow and learn, but also use my past experience to make a positive contribution.

Timeline

It's not a trick question....I think Vero and Chris had a good answer. You should feel free to say exactly what you've told us. That the company doesn't seem to have enough project work and you like to keep busy and keep your talents current. They may alswo ask what you've done while not busy - I wouldn't mention 'waiting for email responses'...but maybe you looked into some Books24/7 or Skillport courses (if that applies to your line of work) to take or something like that.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

The truth sounds like (or might sound something like):

"I feel uncertain about my future with my current employer - things have slowed to a crawl and remaiened that way for x-months. I've stuck with it, doing x and y but I have to look out for myself, so I chose your fantastic company." :star:

Okay, rephrase. I want to say that my workload has been cut in half within the last few months. Right now I am not meeting the challenges I have set for myself professionally and am looking for a workplace where I'll be able to utilize my full potential. I see the ________ position as a place where I can not only grow and learn, but also use my past experience to make a positive contribution.

Thanks Udella! That is true, what have I been doing during all my down time? I'm going to create a list. Wish me luck today @ 5 p.m.!! :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck! I think your answer is great. But I'd say be prepared for a follow up question about what kind of new challenged you're looking for specifically and an example of your past experience that can benefit the new organization.

When I was interviewing, I read a book with sample questions and also some online sites and they helped a lot!

I'm sure you'll be great! Kudos to you for going after something new instead of just settling.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The truth sounds like (or might sound something like):

"I feel uncertain about my future with my current employer - things have slowed to a crawl and remaiened that way for x-months. I've stuck with it, doing x and y but I have to look out for myself, so I chose your fantastic company." :star:

This is a great reply. Also add something about looking for a challenging environment where you can both contribute and derive value from the experience. Good luck!

Road to Citizenship

04/23/2014 - N-400 Package Sent

04/25/2014 - N-400 Package Delivered

04/30/2014 - Received electronic notification

Timeline

I wouldn't say my 'workload has been cut in half' as that may imply your employer is choosing not to give you work, not that there isn't work to do. Phrase it so it indicates that you really enjoy working for your current company, you like your boss and your colleagues and get along great with them, but the company is going through a slow time right now and there is just not enough work available for you to do. State that you like being busy, working hard and having to strive to fulfill your potential, and have decided to look for a new position that will allow you to be more productive. State that you see the opportunity of working for this new company as a mutually beneficial experience.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

So, update, after a 2 hour long phone interview (yes, 2 hours! Is that normal?) It was a success, she has no idea when they'll be bringing people for in-person interviews, but I think it was a good interview! So we'll see. As for my question, I mentioned that I have a wonderful boss and fellow employees, a great work environment but due to the changes in membership my workload has significantly decreased in the last few months...yadda yadda. It was good! :thumbs: Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.