Tennille

Is it legal??? Does it matter???

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hope everyone is having a good day thus far :)

I have a question and with trying to research it I have came up with a couple different answers and was hoping to get some clarification ....

My fiancé and I are going to get married and then file for the CR-1 spousal visa. He currently resides in the UK and I am the USC. My question is can he come here on a tourist visa a we get married in the US or do we HAVE to get married in the UK? I was hoping to get married here and fill out the paperwork while he is here and then he will go back to the UK for work and until the visa is completed. I have read where some people have gotten married in the US and I have read that with the CR-1 visa you have to get married in the beneficiaries country.

Any help is appreciated !!

Thanks Again !!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question and with trying to research it I have came up with a couple different answers and was hoping to get some clarification ....

My fiancé and I are going to get married and then file for the CR-1 spousal visa. He currently resides in the UK and I am the USC. My question is can he come here on a tourist visa a we get married in the US or do we HAVE to get married in the UK? I was hoping to get married here and fill out the paperwork while he is here and then he will go back to the UK for work and until the visa is completed. I have read where some people have gotten married in the US and I have read that with the CR-1 visa you have to get married in the beneficiaries country.

Thanks Again !!

You can get married in any country that you wish... The US is an option if you can make it work

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can get married whereever- plenty of foreigners get married in Vegas every day! As long as he returns home before his visa is up, it's all good. If he is a UK citizen, he can come on the visa waiver program, no tourist visa needed.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks Again !!

You can also apply for a K-1 visa if you like and than you will have 90 days from the time he enters the US to get married...This is lot more involved then a CR-1 or a tourist visa but you do have this option.

Alex A

----------------------------

9/16/2009 - Married

USCIS

1/22/2010 - I-130 sent

1/27/2010 - USPS tracking - Delivered, CHICAGO, IL 60680

2/02/2010 - NOA1

2/07/2010 - NOA1 - Hard copy

3/31/2010 - NOA2

4/1/2010 - NOA2 - Email & Text (~58 days)

4/5/2010 - NOA2 - Hard copy

NVC - Taking my time with it...

4/8/2010 - got NVC case # & gave them email address (~ 1 week)

4/13/2010 - Choice of Agent email from NVC (~ 5 days)

4/14/2010 - Email sent to NVC with "Choice of Agent

4/19/2010 - NVC email confirming "Choice of Agent" email (~5 days)

4/20/2010 - NVC email with AOS and IV bill

4/23/2010 - AOS fee paid & package send

4/26/2010 - IV fee paid

5/21/2010 - IV pack mailed to NVC

5/28/2010 - NVC received IV packet

6/10/2010 - SIF & RFE (for PCC different for Sir Lanka)

6/11/2010 - CC (with RFE)

Filed: Other Timeline

You don't even have to get married in any country; you can get married on the open sea, in a submarine, or even in outer space. Only the K1 visa has the requirement of getting married in the US of A.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You don't even have to get married in any country; you can get married on the open sea, in a submarine, or even in outer space. Only the K1 visa has the requirement of getting married in the US of A.

*Off Topic*

Bob, can't get married on the open sea only Bermuda (as far as I know) has given legal authority to ship captains to do so. Most "wedding at sea" take place at port. I think same rules apply to outer space...lol

"...Although most major cruise ships have wedding chapels, they can only really be used when the ship is docked at a specific locality for legal reasons..."

*Back to Topic*

Alex A

----------------------------

9/16/2009 - Married

USCIS

1/22/2010 - I-130 sent

1/27/2010 - USPS tracking - Delivered, CHICAGO, IL 60680

2/02/2010 - NOA1

2/07/2010 - NOA1 - Hard copy

3/31/2010 - NOA2

4/1/2010 - NOA2 - Email & Text (~58 days)

4/5/2010 - NOA2 - Hard copy

NVC - Taking my time with it...

4/8/2010 - got NVC case # & gave them email address (~ 1 week)

4/13/2010 - Choice of Agent email from NVC (~ 5 days)

4/14/2010 - Email sent to NVC with "Choice of Agent

4/19/2010 - NVC email confirming "Choice of Agent" email (~5 days)

4/20/2010 - NVC email with AOS and IV bill

4/23/2010 - AOS fee paid & package send

4/26/2010 - IV fee paid

5/21/2010 - IV pack mailed to NVC

5/28/2010 - NVC received IV packet

6/10/2010 - SIF & RFE (for PCC different for Sir Lanka)

6/11/2010 - CC (with RFE)

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hope everyone is having a good day thus far smile.gif

Thanks Again !!

You can marry in any country, just make sure that he meets his visa deadline to go home on. There is the sticky situation that he has to say why he is comming to America, and when he puts tourism and then is actually planning on getting married, but if he has no intentions to stay then this is not a problem, because he is here as a tourist, he gets married, then leaves and goes home while you file for the Visa, it might be good for him to state in the interview for his tourist visa that he is planning on getting married while here, but that he is going to go home when he is supposed to, but whether or not you mention this is up to you, and as long as he leaves on time there SHOULD not be any problem. Good luck and an early congrats on yoru wedding! Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have read somewhere, that if while on a tourist visa, you do marry, you could then apply for an Adjustment of Status without having to return to you home country.

No; if you enter the USA on a tourist visa or the VWP with intent to marry AND REMAIN, that is fraud, which may be punished with a lifetime ban.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

*Off Topic*

Bob, can't get married on the open sea only Bermuda (as far as I know) has given legal authority to ship captains to do so. Most "wedding at sea" take place at port. I think same rules apply to outer space...lol

Alex,

I like smart people and you are obviously one of them. But, see . . . I didn't use the words "ship captains" in my post; you simply inserted that. But if you must know: a Federal Judge has the authority to perform a wedding on open sea.

:thumbs:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So after all we are not sure which Visa we are going to file. Does anyone know which Visa's seem to be moving faster at the moment? I have seen some K1 visa's get approved and sent for an interview in as little as 2 months. I have also seen some CR1 visa's take over 2 years to get approved. Does this have anything to do with which service center you use and which embassy it is sent to?

Thank you ahead of time for you input!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.