BirdyGirl85

Copies of your Federal Tax Returns

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

So, I always assumed you needed copies of your most recent federal tax returns for the K-1 visa interview. But as I look over the I-134 form, it doesn't ask for that. I can still try to get my tax returns in the form of IRS transcripts, but the thing is, it seems pointless in our situation. Right now I do have a job that I had since last October, and with my current income and my assets I think we should be ok. I plan to get a recent bank statement and a letter from my employer, stating my salary. But the thing is when it comes to my tax returns of previous years, I didn't make much because I didn't work a full year ever since I started working in 2005.

I made $3,317 in 2009 (I was in Finland for the first three months of that year and then I couldn't get a job until the end of September because of the bad economy. So I really only worked about three months that year)

I made $5,815 in 2008 (I worked about six months that year. I spent the other half in Finland and also sometime in the U.S. without a job as I wanted to spend as much time with my fiance (boyfriend at the time) before he flew back home)

I made $5,620 in 2007 (I worked about seven months that year. The times I wasn't working I was in college, then I was moving and looking for a new job)

I was living with my parents at the time so I could quit for months at a time like that. So see what I mean? It is really necessary for me to send my tax returns when the amounts I earned for those years was so low anyways? What is important now is to show how much I am currently making now, and I plan to do that with a letter from my employer. Is it really necessary for us to have my tax returns at my fiances interview? Is there anyone out there who didn't bring their tax returns to the interview and that was ok?

Thank you for anyone taking your time to read this and giving me some advice.

VJAvatar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Varies by Embassy really. I was in the same situation and I only brought my 2008 return which didn't qualify me. But I had employer letter, pay stubs, bank statements etc showing my current income...that was fine at the Nairobi Embassy. The CO briefly glanced at my tax return and then just handed it back to me (I went with my fiance to the interview.) He only kept my info regarding current income. You'll want to check with others who have gone through Finland though.

You may want to go ahead and request the transcripts. Can't hurt, it's free, and you'll need them for the AOS anyway - they are required at that point even if it doesn't qualify you or reflect current income.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi Birdy... I think I suggested in another thread of yours to submit three years of tax returns. But I believe in always providing more than what is required or at least the maximum that could be required, which is three years of tax returns.

In your case I would definitely suggest you submit at least the most recent last year's tax return with W-2 and 1099s or a Tax Transcript which does not require a W-2. Three years is best so you will not be risking a 221(g) from the CO at the Embassy/Consulate.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just want to make sure I have everything to show support:

1) I-134

2) 2008 W-2 and Tax Return

3) 2009 W-2 and Tax Return

4) Letter of employment from employer

5) Six months worth of pay stubs

I make over the 125% poverty line so I did not get letter from bank.

Is this sufficient?

09-21-2009 - Met for the first time

10-31-2009 - Visited for 5 days

12-30-2009 - visited for 11 days (informal engagement)

1-13-2010 - Mailed I129F Petition

1-15-2010 - Recieved NOA1

1-21-2010 - Touched

3-09-2010 - visiting for 6 days

3-12-2010 - Formal Engagement in Ochee

4-20-2010 - Recieved NOA2 (no previous touches)

4-22-2010 - NVC Recieved my Petition, Assigned New Case#

4-23-2010 - Case leaving NVC (have DHL tracking# so I can follow case to Kingston)

4-23-2010 - Recieved NOA2 (hard copy) in the mail

4-26-2010 - Kingston Embassy Recieved Petition (signed by Mr. Morgan)

4-25-2010 - visiting for 5 days

4-30-2010 - Kingston Embassy mailed out Packet# 3

5-3-2010 - E-Mailed Kingston Embassy DS-230

5-4-2010 - Embassy e-mailed interview date

5-26-2010 - Medical

6-6-2010 - Flying down for interview

6-8-2010 - INTERVIEW...APPROVED!!!!

6-23-2010 - VISA RECIEVED!!!

6-27-2010 - Flying down to Jamaica

06-30-2010 - POE (JFK)

09-25-2010 - WEDDING!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Mlbarb, I had all of that plus the bank letter. They only asked for I-134 and 2009 tax transcript. Each consulate is different so I would say if you have it send it with your sweetie. If they don't ask for it, no big deal. If they do, you have it.

Good luck.

Timeline -
01-20-10 filed I-129 F
05-25-10 Interview - APPROVED
06-18-10 POE - ATL

08-07-10 Married!
08-09-10 AOS/EAD mailed
08-11-10 AOS/EAD received
08-19-10 NOA1 for AOS & EAD
09-14-10 AOS Transfered to CSC
09-24-10 Contacted USCIS to request Biometrics Appt.
10-18-10 Biometrics appointment
10-21-10 EAD card in production
10-21-10 AOS approved!
10-30-10 Green card received

08-09-12 filed I-751
09-07-12 Biometrics appointment

04-01-13 ROC approved

05-25-13 Green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mlbarb, I had all of that plus the bank letter. They only asked for I-134 and 2009 tax transcript. Each consulate is different so I would say if you have it send it with your sweetie. If they don't ask for it, no big deal. If they do, you have it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice...Congrats on the approval, I hope in 11 days I'll be as happy as you... :innocent:

09-21-2009 - Met for the first time

10-31-2009 - Visited for 5 days

12-30-2009 - visited for 11 days (informal engagement)

1-13-2010 - Mailed I129F Petition

1-15-2010 - Recieved NOA1

1-21-2010 - Touched

3-09-2010 - visiting for 6 days

3-12-2010 - Formal Engagement in Ochee

4-20-2010 - Recieved NOA2 (no previous touches)

4-22-2010 - NVC Recieved my Petition, Assigned New Case#

4-23-2010 - Case leaving NVC (have DHL tracking# so I can follow case to Kingston)

4-23-2010 - Recieved NOA2 (hard copy) in the mail

4-26-2010 - Kingston Embassy Recieved Petition (signed by Mr. Morgan)

4-25-2010 - visiting for 5 days

4-30-2010 - Kingston Embassy mailed out Packet# 3

5-3-2010 - E-Mailed Kingston Embassy DS-230

5-4-2010 - Embassy e-mailed interview date

5-26-2010 - Medical

6-6-2010 - Flying down for interview

6-8-2010 - INTERVIEW...APPROVED!!!!

6-23-2010 - VISA RECIEVED!!!

6-27-2010 - Flying down to Jamaica

06-30-2010 - POE (JFK)

09-25-2010 - WEDDING!!!

event.png

Timeline

You may want to go ahead and request the transcripts. Can't hurt, it's free, and you'll need them for the AOS anyway - they are required at that point even if it doesn't qualify you or reflect current income.

Ah ok, I guess I'll go ahead and request them. I know it takes several weeks to get them, but that's ok, we wont be given an interview date until we send the embassy the checklist when we have everything for the interview. Our expiration date on our NOA2 is Sept. 10, so we should be ok to wait a few weeks to get the transcripts.

Thanks for the advice everyone, this place is great.

VJAvatar.jpg

Timeline

Ah ok, I guess I'll go ahead and request them. I know it takes several weeks to get them, but that's ok, we wont be given an interview date until we send the embassy the checklist when we have everything for the interview. Our expiration date on our NOA2 is Sept. 10, so we should be ok to wait a few weeks to get the transcripts.

Thanks for the advice everyone, this place is great.

I don't think it is really several weeks. I think it took about ten days to two weeks.

The NOA2 expiration date can and will be extended by a Consular Officer so you do not need to panic about definitely meeting that date.

If you do need to extend it, it is best to send an email to the Embassy/Consulate giving them all the relevant information such as case number, names, dates of birth and then state you need to have NOA2 extended in order to complete the Visa processing. While the email is not absolutely necessary, it is a good idea just like it is a good idea to have more documentation than required.

Better than not having something and they ask for it.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

I don't think it is really several weeks. I think it took about ten days to two weeks.

So, I sent out the request for the transcripts on June 1st... I haven't gotten anything back, and it's been almost four weeks... Is this normal to wait that long? I'm starting to worry that the request was never received, like maybe it got lost in the mail...

VJAvatar.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So, I sent out the request for the transcripts on June 1st... I haven't gotten anything back, and it's been almost four weeks... Is this normal to wait that long? I'm starting to worry that the request was never received, like maybe it got lost in the mail...

You can phone them and ask for the transcripts to be faxed. Typically turned around in a few hours.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Hi Birdy, four weeks is too long. I sent for tax transcripts twice (once I got the short version so second time I requested the long full version).

Each time was 10 - 14 days by mail.

You can also request them to be faxed to you next business day.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

That's too bad I wasted so much time. I guess I just kept thinking with each day passing day, I was a day closer to it being in my mail box. I was really doubting it got lost in the mail. But now I wonder... I'll give them a call tomorrow. I would like to have the transcripts faxed to me but I don't have a fax machine. But at least if I call them I'll get an actual answer and response. Thank you both for the response.

VJAvatar.jpg

Timeline

Well I just wanted to say that I called the IRS yesterday and was able to talk to a live person, and he told me my transcripts were sent to me on June 24. So I should be getting it soon. I'm surprised it took them that long to send it, but at least I know it didn't get lost in the mail or anything.

VJAvatar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.