9 posts in this topic

I am preparing to send in my AoS and just have a quick question about the I-864 paperwork.

Currently I have my father in law as my only joint sponsor for the I-864, and I've read bits and pieces saying that my husband must be a sponsor for me (he's currently a student with no income). Will having my father in law only and not both my husband and father in law, be a problem? Will this cause an RFE if I send the paperwork in this way?

thanks for any help you can give.

My full timeline

ROC Timeline!
~Nov.13 2012---I-751 sent in
~Nov.14 2012---NoA1
~Dec.05 2012---Biometrics Appt.

-Jun 06 2013 - ROC approval letter arrived!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your husband must be your primary sponsor, even if he makes no money, and must send in the I-864, tax returns etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Your husband must complete an I-864 regardless so you will have two. One for your hubby and one for your father-in-law.

Part 1 (1)(a) - Hubby is the petitioner.

Your Father-in-Law is a joint sponser so on his I-864 he would fill:

Part 1 (1)(d) the only joint sponser.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Your husband must complete an I-864 regardless so you will have two. One for your hubby and one for your father-in-law.

Part 1 (1)(a) - Hubby is the petitioner.

Your Father-in-Law is a joint sponser so on his I-864 he would fill:

Part 1 (1)(d) the only joint sponser.

Oh great, thank you so much! I was thinking I'd have to get my F-I-L to refill out the forms, but if it's the way you've specified, I only need my hubby to fill out his set (F-I-L's forms have him with Part 1 (1)(d) checked), which is awesome.

My full timeline

ROC Timeline!
~Nov.14 2012---NoA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Your husband must be your primary sponsor, even if he makes no money, and must send in the I-864, tax returns etc.

Yep. If he has no tax returns because he didn't file taxes the last 3 years (since he's not earning money) he can include a statement to that effect - just saying he didn't file for this reason. He still needs to fill out the I-864 & include it though.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

We had the exact same situation (husband in school, father in law sponsored me). We did it as my husband was my sponsor (still filed all his tax info) and my father in law was our "back up sponsor" in a way. So we filed the I-864 for my husband, the the I-864(joint sponsor one) for my father in law.

Hope that helps!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Ugh I just realized after rechecking that my mother ticked 1(e) and marked first box of two joint sponsors, and not 1(d) only joint. Papers have already been sent, do you guys think this will cause any problems?

Thanks

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Ugh I just realized after rechecking that my mother ticked 1(e) and marked first box of two joint sponsors, and not 1(d) only joint. Papers have already been sent, do you guys think this will cause any problems?

Thanks

I'm not sure if it will, but if it does, most likely you'll get an RFE asking for the correct paperwork. In that case you just get her to fill it out correctly and send that in. Might delay the process a bit, but shouldn't cause any large, long term problems.

My full timeline

ROC Timeline!
~Nov.14 2012---NoA1

I'm not sure if it will, but if it does, most likely you'll get an RFE asking for the correct paperwork. In that case you just get her to fill it out correctly and send that in. Might delay the process a bit, but shouldn't cause any large, long term problems.

I have her signing a new one as we speak to have on file to mail in just in case lol. Thought it would be best to be prepared so I can mail it out same day if i receive a RFE. If not, all good, either way it will have only been delayed a few days.

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.