SKingy1

US & UK Citizenship

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering if I should become a USC. I have been married to a USC for over 5 years and it looks like we might be here to stay. I thought we might go back to UK to live, but that is looking less likely. If I did apply for a USC will I have to give up my UK?

Thanks

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

DOS likes to use the phrase, "dual nationality". this goes along with that place of birth thing with practically all countries considering you a citizen of your home country if you were born there. Even if you left at an early age, don't know the language, the culture, the laws, don't know anything about that country you will born in. Still and always a citizen of that country.

And if your home country considers you a citizen of that country, may require you to maintain their passport to even visit it. They know you are from that country, because the US DOS puts your place of birth of that country, so you can't even deny or fake it. Then if you renounce citizenship of your home country, they may even deny you visitation rights like to visit your mom.

So welcome to the twilight zone. The USC oaths makes you promise to renounce any allegiance to any other country except the USA, but you can't really do it if you have family there and want to visit them on occasion, kind of puts you between a rock and hard place. But we don't make the laws, we are suppose to figure out how to follow them.

We have no control of where we were born.

Your fine to apply.

To the UK you will be a UK citizen. To the US you will be a US citizen.

You just have to remember to use the right passport. I'll be doing the same thing in a couple of years when I am eligible.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

DOS likes to use the phrase, "dual nationality". this goes along with that place of birth thing with practically all countries considering you a citizen of your home country if you were born there. Even if you left at an early age, don't know the language, the culture, the laws, don't know anything about that country you will born in. Still and always a citizen of that country.

And if your home country considers you a citizen of that country, may require you to maintain their passport to even visit it. They know you are from that country, because the US DOS puts your place of birth of that country, so you can't even deny or fake it. Then if you renounce citizenship of your home country, they may even deny you visitation rights like to visit your mom.

So welcome to the twilight zone. The USC oaths makes you promise to renounce any allegiance to any other country except the USA, but you can't really do it if you have family there and want to visit them on occasion, kind of puts you between a rock and hard place. But we don't make the laws, we are suppose to figure out how to follow them.

We have no control of where we were born.

As the others have said, you have to "be willing to renounce ties to other countries" to become a U.S. citizen, but you don't have to do it. You can hold citizenship to two countries and have passports from both the UK and US. I'd go ahead and get it. Even if you do want to move back to the UK at some point, having citizenship already in the US would make it easier to move back if you changed your mind. Your residency in the US will become invalid if you spend a significant period of time outside the US; citizenship will not leave you.

USCIS IR1/CR-1 CSC

02-24-2010 - I-130 Sent: February 24th, 2010

06-17-2010 - NOA2

Your I-130 was APPROVED in 107 days from your NOA1 date.

06-24-2010 - NVC Case Number Assigned

08-24-2010 - Sign in Fail - Case COMPLETE in 60 days

10-27-2010 - INTERVIEW Riyadh

11-27-2010 - VISA issued

01-06-2011 - POE JFK

01-27-2011 - Welcome letter

01-28-2011 - Green came via Priority mail

01-06-2011 - GC Issue Date

02-05-2011 - GC Received

02-10-2011 - Applied for SSN at local office

02-19-2011 - SSN Received by mail

10-06-2012 (?) - GC Extend Date

01-06-2013 - GC Expires Date

Hi

Nowadays, most countries recognize "dual Nationality". It means that this is going to depend, in your case, only if UK allow you to do that. Normally, almost everything that get USC citizenship, have another nationality and in a few cases, for several reasons, they original country request them to renounce.

In your case, if UK doesn´t allow you to do that ( something that i really don´t believe), certain rules apply . F.E. Leave USA with USC passport and get into the other country with your UK passport.

And in any case you will be a LPR, for at least 3 years, before become a USC. so its going to let you see more clear the whole scenario.

Edited by inloveVEN

Basically the UK immigration folks don't take any stock in the oath that you give to be a USC.

Check out uk-yankee.com and click on dual nationality for more info.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everybody, my friend this is my comment. Indeed, neither the U.K and the U.S. support dual citizenship and at the same time, the don't involve in that; but I think is possible. Anyway, try to read in the immigration office of the U.K, because I'm not too sure at all about the U.K; however, in the U.S, you cahn have 2 citizenships. Thanks and bye,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hello everybody, my friend this is my comment. Indeed, neither the U.K and the U.S. support dual citizenship and at the same time, the don't involve in that; but I think is possible. Anyway, try to read in the immigration office of the U.K, because I'm not too sure at all about the U.K; however, in the U.S, you cahn have 2 citizenships. Thanks and bye,

The UK does acknowledge dual citizenship, the US does not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The UK does acknowledge dual citizenship, the US does not.

We received the welcome to the USA note from the consul in Montreal after the interview and to quote from it "Please note both the USA and Canada recognize dual citizenship". Was that incorrect?

Hi

this is an interesting link, that let you know with more details, the reality about what your choices are in term of US citizenship. this is so common and if someone just follow the law nobady can be asked to quit any nationallity.

You have to keep always that you are required to obey USA law. I hope official site help you a little bit more.

US State Department

Edited by inloveVEN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.