Jay94

Tourist/Fiancee visa at the same time?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi all!

My fiancee is 3months pregnant and she is getting nervous about not being able to come over here before she has the baby. I am about two and a half month into the K1 process. She is wondering if we can start a tourist visa to try and get her here before she is too far along to fly which i believe is 7months. I think i remember reading somewhere that you cannot apply for these 2 different visa's at the same time but i need some proof for my wife. I am preparing for her to have the baby in ghana becuase of the time restraints but if there is another avenue i will take it. Thanks for any info. Pease keep us in our prayers.

Jay

Filed: Other Timeline

I doubt very much that she will be able to even get a B2.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Visas for anyone from west Africa are tough to get and to try as a pregnant woman is even tougher. They will probably think she is trying to come to have an anchor baby and deny her. But on another note. Be careful about mixing fiance and spouse/wife about. It can cause trouble at your interview if you or her throw the wife/husband/spouse word about. They may claim you are married and deny your fiance visa.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My best advice is for her to make plans to have the baby there. She can surround herself with family and friends to support her emotionally until she can go over to the US. I'm in the same situation. I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant and I will not have my visa on time. She may get her visa on time and if so, she can change her plans. But in the meantime, having an alternate plan can save her a lot of stress and grief. Best of luck to you guys.

She in all probability will be denied a tourist visa. We were in a similar situation (no baby though). My fiancee already has a multiple entry B2 with 4 years remaining. On a trip back from visiting her, I asked the immigration official that let me back into the U.S. if she could travel, even though we were in the middle of the K-1 process. His answer was "Sure. If she has a valid visa." Great!, I thought, but I called the State Department anyway. I was told by a state department official that once a case number has been assigned she is in the system as an Intending Immigrant, and she would probably be denied entry. She went further to say that if she were just applying for a tourist visa now, with her intending Immigrant Status showing in the database, she would be flatly denied. She said "I know she has a tourist visa, but she will probably be treated the same, and be turned around at the port of entry. Do you want to take that risk?" I thanked her for her help and hung up the phone.

I know this info is "not quite official" because you can't find it anywhere on a gov. website, and it may seem a little gray, but the way I interpret your situation based on what I was told, you run the risk twice. Even if she were granted the visa, she is still at risk of being turned away at the port of entry and put on the next plane home. Probably a little too much stress for her and the baby.

No matter what happens, good luck in the long run!

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent: 2010-01-08

I-129F NOA1: 2010-01-11

I-129F NOA2: 2010-03-17

NVC Received: 2010-03-24

Consulate Received: 2010-04-02

Open Appointment Letter Sent: 2010-04-47

Open Appointment Letter Rcvd: 2010-05-21

Medical Exam Date: 2010-06-15

Interview Date: 2010-06-16

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received: 2010-06-17

POE ATL: 2010-09-05

Married!: 2010-10-30

AOS package received: 2010-11-30

Biometrics: 2011-01-13

AOS transferred to CSC: 2011-01-18

EAD card production ordered: 2011-02-09

AP Approved: 2011-02-09

AP Letter Received: 2011-02-12

Green card production ordered: 2011-02-16

Green Card Received!: 2011-02-22

Hi Jay - a few things to think about and consider.

I don't know your financial situation or if it is a concern but just thought I'd bring up a few things to think about.

If she WAS able to come here on a tourist visa and had the baby here, I would assume there would be no provision available for her to have insurance. Do you have any idea what it costs to have a baby in a hospital in the good ole USA? This would have huge financial implications and create a tremendous amount of stress for you.

If she WAS able to come, she would HAVE to return home for the interview which is no cheap date either, and then turn around and fly back again after approval.

Visitor visas are very difficult to come by in Ghana (at least from all I have read).

There is nothing "legally" that prohibits a K-1 applicant to apply for a visitor visa during processing, however we all know that quite frequently they are denied, especially when dealing with certain countries as mentioned previously.

I wish you both the best and we will say some prayers for you for a healthy baby and a union of your family as soon as possible.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.