jlee

"Fake" Marriage in Nicaragua

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hello everyone!

Well, don't know if my question was asked before and I did try to search and read several posts, but didn't find any of my nature. Basically, my fiancee and I want to get married by this year (December) "hopefully" if we can get the filing back quickly (I hear being an officer in the military expedites the process due to proof being much easier to validate?)..

Well my question is the following:

I would like to have my wedding in Nicaragua though not "Legally" in Nicaragua so that I can apply for the K-1 via the U.S. I understand that if I get a legal marriage in Nicaragua I would have to go through a whole different process of paperwork (confirm/deny please?) and I'd like to deviate from that. However my fiancee is telling me she believes that I need to do it LEGAL, but I doubt that since I know of a friend who also did a wedding/reception there without having to do any legal paperwork of Nicaraguan nature.

The reason I would like to have the real wedding in Nicaragua and the Court-style wedding here is because she has all her family/friends and while myself, I only have my immediate family with me (Mother, sister, grandmother and uncle) my friends have either been deployed or stationed in other countries and the rest are off in their own world (studying, getting married, etc..) so I see it much more fitting to have the reception in Nicaragua and simply fly my family there.

If anyone can comment and/or contribute their information or experience, I would greatly and wholeheartedly appreciate it.

Thank you,

2LT Lee, Javier

Edited by jlee

You are going to get a lot of different answers on this.

The safest answer is to have nothing that looks or smells like the local cultures typical wedding.

Have an engagement celebration instead. Declare your commitment to each other in front of the guests. Have no officiant present.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Well I was thinking more along the lines of going to "Selva Negra" a place isolated from almost all officials (since it's far away from a main city) and I'm sure contracting a pastor for the procession (unsure of the nomenclature here) can do this for us if I speak with him. If I'm paying about $6k for the wedding and reception, I'm sure the worker bees there won't mind what I do as long as I pay.

I see what you're saying though... anyone else with input?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone!

Well, don't know if my question was asked before and I did try to search and read several posts, but didn't find any of my nature. Basically, my fiancee and I want to get married by this year (December) "hopefully" if we can get the filing back quickly (I hear being an officer in the military expedites the process due to proof being much easier to validate?)..

Well my question is the following:

I would like to have my wedding in Nicaragua though not "Legally" in Nicaragua so that I can apply for the K-1 via the U.S. I understand that if I get a legal marriage in Nicaragua I would have to go through a whole different process of paperwork (confirm/deny please?) and I'd like to deviate from that. However my fiancee is telling me she believes that I need to do it LEGAL, but I doubt that since I know of a friend who also did a wedding/reception there without having to do any legal paperwork of Nicaraguan nature.

The reason I would like to have the real wedding in Nicaragua and the Court-style wedding here is because she has all her family/friends and while myself, I only have my immediate family with me (Mother, sister, grandmother and uncle) my friends have either been deployed or stationed in other countries and the rest are off in their own world (studying, getting married, etc..) so I see it much more fitting to have the reception in Nicaragua and simply fly my family there.

If anyone can comment and/or contribute their information or experience, I would greatly and wholeheartedly appreciate it.

Thank you,

2LT Lee, Javier

Fiancee visas are for fiancees. If you are married their are no fiancees. If married you would file for a CR-1 visa. Any marriage which is LEGAl is not fake. Anything that looks like a wedding may be cause to deny a fiancee visa. I would advise not to do it.

Gte the fiancee visa (if that is what you want) have your fiancee come to the US, get married LEGALLY in the USA and file for her AOS. After she gets her green card then go back to Nicaraugua and have the "fake" wedding as elaborate as you like. Anything else is a big risk.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Is there any reason you would not rather just get married and file for a spousal visa?

One of the main reasons for a fiancé visa is to get married in the US (more or less). So if that isn't a burning desire, theres not much other benefit to going down that road or to potentially derail that journey by having an 'under the radar' wedding ceremony. Why not have the real thing?

Timeline

I'm in a similar situation. I don't want to get married and then apply because that would delay the visa process. I am in the middle of the K-1 visa process, but I would also like to get legally married with my fiancee here before we go to the US. Having a wedding here is very important for here, and for me too since our friends are all here. Now for the first time I am reading that this could somehow interfere with approval. It seems pretty ridiculous since the US would never recognize a married legalized in Peru without a bunch of litigation anyhow.

:blink:

Timeline

Nibake and I are in the same boat though I haven't started the K-1 Visa yet ( but will in June !!!). Having the wedding in Nicaragua is something of the most important-est of natures for HER and we all know how women can become so attached to what they want during the wedding/marriage processes (well I don't know yet but I can only imagine lol). I'm just "SAYING" what if they don't do any paperwork and the father/pastor/ whatever you want to call him (sorry for the ignorance) does the ceremony without any paperwork (perhaps he has a kind heart or..) and the reception right after and nobody is the wiser? This can always be called a "Celebration" .. Semantics is fun.

Edited by jlee

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you're prepared, the only time difference between a K-1 and a CR-1 is the NVC stage, which can be gotten through in about 3-4 weeks, barring any RFEs.

Read through the guides and then make an informed decision.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Typically and I understand it can be difficult to respond, but "GUESSTIMATED" how long does/can a CR-1 take before she finally comes over as a green card holder to the U.S? I've seen K-1 processes go from 80 days to 300 days... but let's say I'm prepared and have all my bases covered, what is the "typical" time / process?

Timeline

6-9 months for a CR-1, usually. Could be more, could be less.

event.png

Timeline

Not too shabby, however it impedes me in my planning to do the CR-1. See if you can understand where I am coming from. I'm currently doing to my 2LT school (BOLC-B i.e Basic Officer Leadership Course) in June. I was going to turn the K-1 Visa packet a bit before June, then 4-5 months later (after I finish school) I return get my base (my station), more than likely already be approved in that timeline for the Interview, then hopefully be done by December (a 6 month or so timeframe).

If I do the CR-1 we'd have to wait even more time since I cannot get married till December or later, THEN be approved for the process (another 5-6 months or more), so we won't be together until almost the 3rd quarter of NEXT YEAR!!! See where I am getting at?

We basically just want to be together already.. ASAP. So.. there you go :)

I do appreciate all your comments guys, keep em coming!

Timeline

Ok, then go ahead with the K-1.

Get married in the U.S., file for AOS, get your AP/GC and then fly back and have your dream wedding with your family!

event.png

Timeline

Umm, depends on how soon you get married and file. 90 days, I believe? Could be wrong.

AP is ADVANCED PAROLE. Allows you to travel before you get the GC in hand.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.