visaveteran

The Win-Win of using the "Ignore" figure

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Recently, one forum member put up a post that he/she had put me on "ignore" and was enjoying the forum more for it. Nothing wrong with that. More power to them. But they didn't leave it there. They went one to urge everyone else to also put me on "ignore." The stated purpose was to drive me off the forum.

Though I don't necessarily agree, in the eyes of the moderators this did not violate any TOS rules about personal attacks, and I did not complain. So the post stood. Again, it's free country (sort of), so good for them in speaking their mind.

But I judge it's too bad someone takes this so seriously that they try to rally the entire forum to run someone out of Dodge; to silence alternative viewpoints and different perspectives; to shut someone up. But to some people, it seems, the internet forums are a key part of their ego and self esteem mechanism. Despite the open and anonymous nature of most online forums, some folks see it as real circle of friends and community. And, as such, they need to claim a key place within that supposed circle or community. And, in the same way, they also need to affect a system of "good guys and bad guys" based on their rules of etiquette and protocol and political/social viewpoints, despite what the actual forum TOS or rules may dictate. You might call it informal forum influence and control.

I will simply say that I think people who don't wish to read my stuff, or choose to reply with mean-spirited, intolerant, or less than gentlemanly messages, are certainly welcome and invited to "Ignore" my posts. In fact, I encourage it. I don't mind a smaller audience of open-minded and tolerant people to read my posts; not take things too seriously; and address it all in a sense of "all voices are welcome"...rather than as if this is the front lines of the culture war.

So, for me, putting me on "ignore" is a win-win situation...and I really don't mind being the "last man standing," if it should come to that.

Have a great week!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I would post a reply, but I'm ignoring you.

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

VV, you are alright in my book. Instead, I chose to ignore bullheaded, arrogant, self-righteous types. Also, the ball-breakers as well. You have nothing to worry about. Rock on, VV, and don't let the bastards wear you down. :dance:

So much drama, for a bunch of guys!

The guys are trying to keep up with the girls! :whistle:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

VV, you are alright in my book. Instead, I chose to ignore bullheaded, arrogant, self-righteous types. Also, the ball-breakers as well. You have nothing to worry about. Rock on, VV, and don't let the bastards wear you down. :dance:

Thanks Brother Hopp!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Some people are not confident enough with their own opinion, beliefs, etc., to read opposing views. Seems particularly common amoung those of the liberal (and therefore "enlightended and open minded") persuasion.

Personally, I know I am right and do not care how many people get it wrong. I support a persons right to be stupid...at their own expense.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Personally, I know I am right and do not care how many people get it wrong. I support a persons right to be stupid...at their own expense.

I don't have any real quarrel with what you say. I will only add that one man's "stupid" is another man's wisdom.

So much drama, for a bunch of guys!

Since I so seldom get the chance - I'm going to agree with Jenn!

As to the OP, I will not ignore anyone. Ever. This is the internet, it's not that serious. Sure I'd like to think I could be "friends" with folks on here (even met a few of the RUBbers in person)I can't say that I'm going to have "enemies" on here. Truth be told, you guys who're "enemies" here on VJ would probably be very good drinking buddies in real life. Don't ignore that!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

As to the OP, I will not ignore anyone. Ever. This is the internet, it's not that serious. Sure I'd like to think I could be "friends" with folks on here (even met a few of the RUBbers in person)I can't say that I'm going to have "enemies" on here. Truth be told, you guys who're "enemies" here on VJ would probably be very good drinking buddies in real life. Don't ignore that!

Speaking of drinking, are you headed down here again soon?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Besides, I wake up naked with Alla every morning. Exactly how bad can anyone on the internet make my day? :rofl:

Do you like lemonade?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I guess I just find it odd that any opposition to your viewpoints, VV, "are to silence alternative viewpoints and different perspectives;" but you've certainly reported posts that did not agree with your particular viewpoint AND you've never answered my original questions in regards to your credibility as a relationship expert. (I guess because my exploration of different viewpoints violates...whatever is important to you.) At least Mr. Seinfeld admits that he's only been a marriage ref since, like, recently? I think.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I guess I just find it odd that any opposition to your viewpoints, VV, "are to silence alternative viewpoints and different perspectives;" but you've certainly reported posts that did not agree with your particular viewpoint AND you've never answered my original questions in regards to your credibility as a relationship expert. (I guess because my exploration of different viewpoints violates...whatever is important to you.) At least Mr. Seinfeld admits that he's only been a marriage ref since, like, recently? I think.

how would you be privy to that?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Speaking of drinking, are you headed down here again soon?

Since I'm kind of on house arrest right now... that'd be a no.

I should know by the end of the month if I'm allowed to travel this summer. I'm also unemployed too so unless my wife is buying the gas... it may be a while. She's ready to take a little roadtrip and we do need to get out and do something together, but it's going to be a few weeks, minimum. I'll keep you posted.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Since I'm kind of on house arrest right now... that'd be a no.

I should know by the end of the month if I'm allowed to travel this summer. I'm also unemployed too so unless my wife is buying the gas... it may be a while. She's ready to take a little roadtrip and we do need to get out and do something together, but it's going to be a few weeks, minimum. I'll keep you posted.

I thinking of an old song: "I fought the law and the law won."

I hope your problems and unemployment issues get resolved quickly and in your favor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.