VeraVimes

Help with I-129F

13 posts in this topic

Hi there.

This is my first post here. My US fiance and I are in the middle of preparing the I-129F package. Everything is going well, except for this question 9: Names of Prior Spouses, and Dates Marriages Ended. There is only space for two prior spouses, but my fiance has been married and divorced three times. What do we fill in? His first marriage was back in the Seventies, so do we just fill in the last two, but add the third divorce certificate? Or is it better to out "Please see additional sheet" and put all three prior spouses' information on a separate piece of paper (like at question 18).

We're hoping to be able to get through this without having to get a lawyer, but I'm thinking I'll be calling on the expertise on here quite a bit!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Or is it better to out "Please see additional sheet" and put all three prior spouses' information on a separate piece of paper (like at question 18).

That is what I would do if it were me/us. It is what the very first instruction says too. :thumbs:

"If you need more space to complete an answer, use a separate sheet(s) of paper. Write your name and Alien Registration Number (A #), if any, at the top of each sheet of paper and indicate the part and number of the item to which the answer refers."

Welcome to VJ. :D

That is what I would do if it were me/us. It is what the very first instruction says too. :thumbs:

"If you need more space to complete an answer, use a separate sheet(s) of paper. Write your name and Alien Registration Number (A #), if any, at the top of each sheet of paper and indicate the part and number of the item to which the answer refers."

Welcome to VJ. :D

Ah, brilliant. Thank you very much! It's better to be safe than sorry with this application, I'd hate for it to take longer than it would need to...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Ah, brilliant. Thank you very much! It's better to be safe than sorry with this application, I'd hate for it to take longer than it would need to...

I recommend putting the most recent divorce information on the G325a itself and then note on the space for second former spouse, "See attached for two more." Then make sure the attachments contains all the information asked for.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Had the same instance (had some really bad luck with my choices years ago).

I put the most recent two and then added a supplemental sheet as follows.

I-129F Supplement, Part A, Item 9

Prior Spouses Information

To whom it may concern,

The following information is supplemental to Part A, Item 9 (Prior Spouses)

Names of Prior Spouses Date(s) Marriage(s) Ended

Jane Doe 11/17/19XX

Sincerely,

My name here (signed and dated)

I also provided certified copies of all divorce decrees.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sincerely,

I remember reading somewhere, I am not sure if it is in the I-129F instructions, that all sheets should be signed and dated. I used two additional sheets to catalog or list all the evidence I submitted for Question 18. I signed and dated both (ALL) additional sheets so please remember to do that.

Also be sure you go to the www.uscis.gov web site to make sure you get the newest I-129F form. They have a new version out that expires in 2012. I noticed this when I was posting an answer to a question from a member that had used an (unfortunately) out of date I-129F from VJ's forms.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Had the same instance (had some really bad luck with my choices years ago).

I put the most recent two and then added a supplemental sheet as follows.

I-129F Supplement, Part A, Item 9

Prior Spouses Information

To whom it may concern,

The following information is supplemental to Part A, Item 9 (Prior Spouses)

Names of Prior Spouses Date(s) Marriage(s) Ended

Jane Doe 11/17/19XX

Sincerely,

Thanks, that's really helpful. Do you know if it's necessary to have certified copies, or can they be regular ones? Perhaps it would be best to get them anyway, I don't want those buggers to trip me up!

Timeline

Thanks, that's really helpful. Do you know if it's necessary to have certified copies, or can they be regular ones? Perhaps it would be best to get them anyway, I don't want those buggers to trip me up!

I read where they require certified ones. You need to provide them with a copy of an ORIGINAL certified which has the signature of the judge or court officer or county clerk, and then some type of stamp or seal. I do not know how much choice you have for foreign divorce decrees.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I read where they require certified ones. You need to provide them with a copy of an ORIGINAL certified which has the signature of the judge or court officer or county clerk, and then some type of stamp or seal. I do not know how much choice you have for foreign divorce decrees.

With the petition, you submit a photocopy of a certified copy. Then take the actual certified copies to the interview for possible inspection. It won't hurt to sign and date supplemental pages for the G325a but I'm 100% certain it is not required.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I remember reading somewhere, I am not sure if it is in the I-129F instructions, that all sheets should be signed and dated. I used two additional sheets to catalog or list all the evidence I submitted for Question 18. I signed and dated both (ALL) additional sheets so please remember to do that.

Also be sure you go to the www.uscis.gov web site to make sure you get the newest I-129F form. They have a new version out that expires in 2012. I noticed this when I was posting an answer to a question from a member that had used an (unfortunately) out of date I-129F from VJ's forms.

Good luck.

While it is always good advice to use the most recent forms available on USCIS's website.

IT IS also good to read the information on their site, like....

Edition Date :

02/19/10. 07/30/07 and 11/24/06 editions can be used, no other editions accepted.

As you can see the February revision that expires in 2012 is listed along with 2 other very older versions that they still accept, and I highly doubt that anything on VJ was "unfortunately" out of date. Just because the link sends you to a form that is older than the newest version by no means does it make it unusable.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

With the petition, you submit a photocopy of a certified copy. Then take the actual certified copies to the interview for possible inspection. It won't hurt to sign and date supplemental pages for the G325a but I'm 100% certain it is not required.

I agree with pushbrk - for the I-129f petition I would send photocopies of the certified divorcee decrees and take the originals to the interview.

I sweated this one out because I did it backwards and sent the original certified copies in my I-129f and only had the copies for the interview but it all worked out in the end.

In many cases they have rfe's people because they did not have "certified copies". I made sure when I went to the courthouse that I requested "certified" and they put the embossed gold seal on them.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Timeline

It won't hurt to sign and date supplemental pages for the G325a but I'm 100% certain it is not required.

I am 100% certain that the OP is referring to Question 9 of the I-129F petition which has as Question 9, two lines for prior spouses which is exactly what her question is concerning. While the G-325A has two lines for former spouses, they are not numbered as with Question 9 of the I-129F.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

I am 100% certain you need to sign and date each additional sheet to the I-129F which is regarding the OP's question as I stated immediately above. She also stated she will use an additional sheet for question 18 which again convinces me we are discussing the I-129F and not G-325A. Here is the instruction from the I-129F:

===== From I-129F instructions =====

General Instructions.

1. Type or print legibly in black ink.

Step 1. Fill Out the Form I-129.

2. If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a continuation sheet, indicate the item number, and date and sign each sheet.

===== End I-129F instruction clipping =====

Naturalization N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.