elmcitymaven

Irritating BS your SO does

1,246 posts in this topic

it wasn't because you mentioned those cars specifically, it was an example of how you could have phrased it differently (by saying "we agreed on X and she came back with Y".

I don't think anyone is judging the TYPE of car or your financial means.

Edited by Gemmie

Last night I mentioned to the husband, "Some English guy on Visa Loony [his term] was complaining about his American fiancee's mechanically OK but ugly 10-year-old Sentra, and he said he didn't want to start his life in the States in that death trap."

He said, "I've always held your '89 Sentra against you."

:rofl:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Last night I mentioned to the husband, "Some English guy on Visa Loony [his term] was complaining about his American fiancee's mechanically OK but ugly 10-year-old Sentra, and he said he didn't want to start his life in the States in that death trap."

He said, "I've always held your '89 Sentra against you."

:lol:

All of the truly dreadful cars we've had out here have been his choice, so he can only blame himself.

I think the rhyme julez is looking for is "stanker."

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I have been following the London waiver thread for months due to my growing interest in immigration law. The people on it seem to be the sweetest ever. Your post did not seem hateful to me. I hope the issue you posted about is easier for you when you are here. If you want to drop a line to vent privately I am always free!

Thanks :) The London waiver thread is indeed filled with lovely people - and they've very kindly allowed me to join in despite not applying for a waiver myself...the AP tracker thread is also filled with lovely people, so I'm lucky in that I get the best of both worlds :yes:

I just think that sometimes when one is feeling down, everything seems worse than it really is, and it's only a little later you realise how silly you're being :bonk:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
When I first came over, I was horrified at how much Americans use the microwave... cereal, baked potatoes, soup, TEA??

I have to tell you being the American...I only use my microwave for microwave popcorn. It's probably the most expensive popcorn maker out there...LOL. Oh, sometimes I use it to thaw meat too, but that's about it!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Timeline

I have to tell you being the American...I only use my microwave for microwave popcorn. It's probably the most expensive popcorn maker out there...LOL. Oh, sometimes I use it to thaw meat too, but that's about it!

We had a funny experience a few days ago. I told him I'm sorry I was the worst cook he's ever met. He told me he ate worse once or twice at University, because they use to make Mars Bar toasties. He went on to explain what a toasty machine was.. So I said, "Oh, like the sandwich maker we have far back in the middle cabinet?" OMG! I pulled it out and he acted like a kid at Christmas. Who knew that a little machine that seals cheese or whatever else inside bread would make someone SO happy.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

it wasn't because you mentioned those cars specifically, it was an example of how you could have phrased it differently (by saying "we agreed on X and she came back with Y".

I don't think anyone is judging the TYPE of car or your financial means.

Yes I see. Nobody was judging me by the TYPE of car, just that I dared to mention the type at all. What a load of hypocritical rubbish.

Well flame away 'rhymes with hits,' I'll try not to lose sleep over it, as I lie in my mattress stuffed with money, covered with a gold-threaded duvet. All this of course after I've drunk from a 1960s vintage Macallan single malt Scotch and smoked a few Havanas, lit of course with a handful of ₤100 notes. :whistle:

"It has been suggested that we'll squander the sponsors' money on wine, women and song. That is not true. We don't do a lot of singing here at Portman Road" - Ipswich Town owner John Cobbold

Timeline

Contrary to your opinion, Melissa and I do come her for 'supporters.' We thought we'd found a place where we could share experiences with others who are going through a similar situation. I'm happy to say that, except for a few like yourself and Jules, we've found many supporters.

And just so I understand: your objection is that I mentioned the make and model of the cars, which reveals a little about my financial means, is this correct? Would it have been more acceptable for me to lie and say we were looking at a Kia but she bought a Hundai? Or maybe that would have made me anti-American, so I probably should have said we decided on the Ford pickup but she chose the Chevrolet pickup without the gun holder on the rear, hmm?

I happen to be in a position to pamper my fiancee a bit, and I've yet to hear her take issue. Perhaps you or your husband are one of the millions of Americans unable to hold a job in this terrible economy, and for that I am sympathetic. But I will not lie because my financial situation makes you uncomfortable. Indeed, I would be a 'pompous #######' to insist, as you have done, that people pretend to be who they are not.

You are not a pompous #######, honey! :o

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who has been nice about this. My dad says that it's best to read what Julian has to say through an English to American translator, because sometimes what he says comes out in American as being much more uptight than it's meant to be. I guess it will be a challenge when he moves over here for him to learn how we get our point across!

And yes, he does pamper me and no, I don't complain. Would you if every time you had a big, big fight you got a nice piece of jewelry as a way of saying "I'm an idiot"? :lol:

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

Well flame away 'rhymes with hits,' I'll try not to lose sleep over it, as I lie in my mattress stuffed with money, covered with a gold-threaded duvet. All this of course after I've drunk from a 1960s vintage Macallan single malt Scotch and smoked a few Havanas, lit of course with a handful of ₤100 notes. :whistle:

Wow, Scrooge McDuck is filing for a K1?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

Here's a refresher on Netiquette, for anyone that is interested. I can't use Wikipedia on my research papers, but I spend a bit of time on it because it is enlightening for a quick read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)

[edit] "Flame wars"

A flame war results when one or more users engages in provocative responses to the originally posted flamebait. Flame wars often draw in many users (including those trying to diffuse the flame war) and can overshadow regular forum discussion if left unchecked.

Resolving a flame war can be difficult, as it is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into flame war. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter," "flamer," or "troll." Therefore, it seems especially important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.

Some[who?] suggest the best approach to resolving a flame war or responding to flaming is to communicate openly with the offending users. Acknowledging mistakes, offering to help resolve the disagreement, making clear, reasoned arguments, and even self-deprecation have all been noted as worthwhile strategies to end such disputes. However, others prefer to simply ignore flaming, noting that, in many cases, if the flamebait receives no attention, it will quickly be forgotten as forum discussions carry on.[3] Unfortunately, this can motivate trolls to intensify their activities, creating additional distractions.

Taking the bait or feeding the troll refers to someone who responds to the original message regardless of whether they are aware the original message was intended to provoke a response. Often when someone takes the bait, others will point out to them YHBT for "You have been trolled," or reply with "don't feed the trolls." Forum users will also frequently "rate" the troll as means of acknowledgment, with statements such as "0/10, the obvious troll is obvious," or "10/10, I raged."

So... don't feed the troll.

Timeline

Wow, Scrooge McDuck is filing for a K1?

The good thing about the immigration process and getting married, for me anyways, was that it really forced me to start being more mature. I'm thinking it was mostly the adjusting to real life with a spouse.

Timeline

So... don't feed the troll.

Hi Jewel. I can promise you that my fiance is NOT a troll. He may be provocative but he is not on here to stir stuff up. He came on here to get some support. Can I control what he has to say? No! (Although we are sending PMs back and forth on this right now and I told him to try to stop getting people annoyed.)

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.