edmon59

voluntary departure?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Had something happen recently that I thought I'd share.

My wife and I were in the middle of the green card process when things went pretty sideways in our marraige....long story...

We were living in Puerto Rico and I moved away, she stayed there. A couple weeks ago she decided she wanted to return to Jamaica. We figured she would get hassled at the airport, trigger the 10 year overstay ban, etc.

Instead, she got on the plane, flew to Ft Lauderdale and then on to Montego Bay. Not one question, no stamps in her passport, no departure record, nothing.

It seems to me that she could conceivably go to the US embassy in Kingston and get another tourist visa ...if I went with her, that is... It seems impossible, but it happened.

-Ed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Had something happen recently that I thought I'd share.

My wife and I were in the middle of the green card process when things went pretty sideways in our marraige....long story...

We were living in Puerto Rico and I moved away, she stayed there. A couple weeks ago she decided she wanted to return to Jamaica. We figured she would get hassled at the airport, trigger the 10 year overstay ban, etc.

Instead, she got on the plane, flew to Ft Lauderdale and then on to Montego Bay. Not one question, no stamps in her passport, no departure record, nothing.

It seems to me that she could conceivably go to the US embassy in Kingston and get another tourist visa ...if I went with her, that is... It seems impossible, but it happened.

-Ed

No one will be hassled on the way "out"... it is on the way "in" that problems could ensue.

PS Your being with her for a tourist visa interview is not an automatic approval.

YMMV

Concur with the above.

The "ban", if any, only kicks in upon return to the US.

So the GC wasn't finished? Did you pull it or let it die in process?

How long did she overstay?

All this will be brought up for a new visa at the embassy.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is no such thing as being hassled on your way out. She should worry about coming back. Did she accrue any illegal stay? When leaving the country, you can almost hear them say "good riddance" these foreigners are going back to where they came from. Why would they stop and ask you questions which could make you change your mind and decide to stay :rofl:

Timeline

There is no such thing as being hassled on your way out. She should worry about coming back. Did she accrue any illegal stay? When leaving the country, you can almost hear them say "good riddance" these foreigners are going back to where they came from. Why would they stop and ask you questions which could make you change your mind and decide to stay :rofl:

Timeline

Ooops....

She went to the airport, showed her passport to the ticket agent and the security checkpoint person (TSA)and then she got on the plane to Florida. She could have walked out of the airport in Florida at any time during her 5 hr layover.

Also, most of the time at the SJ airport there are ICE officers in the jetway and they ask everyone boarding US bound flights about their citizenship. The question is "What country are you a citizen of?" Had these gents been there when she boarded they would have given her a warm time indeed.

The point I'm making is that there is no record of her departure/overstay.

She overstayed about 3 years. As to the embassy, I was with her the first time we got her a visa.....She never would have gotten it on her own, The embassy official ended up questioning me for like a 1/2 hr....we were living in Jamaica at the time, and she wanted to make sure it wasn't a greencard marraige, I guess.

-Ed

Edmond, it looks as if you'll were just doing your AOS from your marriage in 2008. According to your timeline your wife has been out of status since 2008. With that being said, your wife will have a hard time getting a vistor visa, even if she tried. The only way your wife can entered back into the US, will be if you'll go back thru the CR1 petition process. Your staus on VJ says that you'll were in the AOS phase, what is the status of the AOS?

I will ask this question, how far into The AOS process had you'll gotten?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I've read a few threads here on VJ where a LPR abandoned their status without notifying DHS and they were "deported" in absentia. For reentry ban CBP doesn't have to prove when the foreigner left. In fact she is probably still accruing overstay as USCIS believes she's still in the US.

Edmond, it looks as if you'll were just doing your AOS from your marriage in 2008. According to your timeline your wife has been out of status since 2008. With that being said, your wife will have a hard time getting a vistor visa, even if she tried. The only way your wife can entered back into the US, will be if you'll go back thru the CR1 petition process. Your staus on VJ says that you'll were in the AOS phase, what is the status of the AOS?

I will ask this question, how far into The AOS process had you'll gotten?

Note as to what happen at the airport-- there was no need for the ICE to be concern. Since she had never left the US territory from PR, to Florida that was okay. And yes, she could have left Fla and flew to NY, that would have been ok too. She was not trying to entry the US from outside of the US or US territories. I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.

Timeline

We were ready to file the I 485, but things were getting shaky marriage-wise so I held off.

I guess my point was that I assumed they would have physically said or done something like stamp her passport or something.

OK, it's coming clear now....

Thanks.

-Ed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

It's the foreigner's obligation to return the I-94 to the authorities when it leaves US. It's the law. If that doesn't happen the person is screwed and most probably will never be able to come back.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

BTW - "Voluntary departure" will not erase any overstay.

She just avoided getting deported (in front of an IJ)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

BTW - "Voluntary departure" will not erase any overstay.

She just avoided getting deported (in front of an IJ)

Yes. The idea was to take the 10 year ban rather than getting caught and deported.

I actually have her I 94, Can I get it to her and have her take it to the embassy? I'm pretty sure I can't return it.......

Edited by edmon59

Yes. The idea was to take the 10 year ban rather than getting caught and deported.

I actually have her I 94, Can I get it to her and have her take it to the embassy? I'm pretty sure I can't return it.......

CBP I-94

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.