cdn_gewels

SSN in married name was denied

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to learn more about the experiences of those those who changed their names after marriage and went to the SSA office to change their SSN card.

I have not yet received my EAD, and reading older threads, I understand that a lot of people had to wait until it was received to change the name. I have also read that others had no issue changing their name on their SSN card before receiving EAD. I'm a little frustrated because the Orlando office is inconsistent with this process. I do know that they did change the name of a friend's SSN in the exact same situation as my own, but have denied me.

I went to the SSA office yesterday, waited 2 hours, only to be told that nothing could be done until I had EAD.

After visiting the DMV today, hoping that I could at least get my license (my current Ontario license expires in July), they couldn't do anything as the names conflict in their system. (SSN name vs. married name on NOA for I-485 and EAD....) So, I can't even get a license in my maiden name! The DMV did suggest I go have my name changed in the system with the SSA, even if they didn't give me a card right away. So, I went back to the SSA office, and they wouldn't even change it in the system. I had a supervisor come and look through everything as well, and she confirmed that I must wait for EAD.

When I brought up the section on their website, "Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose," they brought up a statement explaining that a driver's license is not a valid "non-work" purpose.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I really don't want my license to expire and then have to start from scratch because of my SSN! I hate this vicious circle.

Thanks.

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was refused the 1st time I went to the SSN office to change my name after being married.

I went back a 2nd time & basically told them I was allowed to change my name. She put a request in to verify my documents (K1 visa, I-94) were valid. Told me to call back in 3-4 weeks.

2 weeks later I got a letter from SSN saying a card in my new name was being processed & I should receive it in a couple weeks (which I did). I took that letter to the Secretary of State to get a driver's license in my married name & they took it.

You would figure a branch of the government like SSN would be the same in every State, City, County...whatever.

Why won't the SOS issue you a dl in your maiden name? I'd try another SOS to get a license if you're worried about your ON license expiring.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

If your I-94 is expired, then I think you'll just have to wait for the EAD. Going by the average timelines, since you have already filed, it should be in your hands before your other DL expires. I know it is probably disappointing because you want to get out there with your new name already!!! :(

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Timeline

You cannot change the name on your SSN record and be issued a card in that name without current authorization to work in the United States or a valid non work reason for needing an SSN. However, as you were told a driver's license is not a valid non work reason.

You have a couple options

1. Get the record corrected now, but no card will be issued. Then go apply for a replacement card when you have the EAD card as long as the EAD card has the new name. Once the record has been corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Not the same as card, but something as proof until you can be issued a new card.

2. If the EAD card has your new name, wait until you have the EAD card and correct the record and be issued a card.

DO NO DO NOT give up your SSN card until you have new one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

Accept a name change document based on marriage, civil union or domestic partnership as evidence of the new name be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or partner takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or partner takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s original surname for either or both parties

D. Example of acceptable evidence to process a name change based on marriage

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the Numident, and if the marriage took place within the prior two years.

Filed: Other Timeline

Don't you wish this very moment you had not changed your name?

For the very reason you personally experienced, and will continue having to deal with, I'm preaching to the choir for eternity: don't change your name unless it's absolutely horrible (like Mary Moron) or unpronouncable for a Westerner (like Xyoy Mplntos).

More importantly, don't change your name if you are an immigrant having to deal with numerous Federal and State agencies and are dependent on their paperwork.

If you absolutely need to change your name, do it when you become a US citizen, as at that time you can choose pretty much any name you like, free of charge, unless it's Queen Latifa or Sir Elton John. But even Dweezil Zappa or Holy Mary would be approved.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hi everyone!

I am just curious to learn more about the experiences of those those who changed their names after marriage and went to the SSA office to change their SSN card.

I have not yet received my EAD, and reading older threads, I understand that a lot of people had to wait until it was received to change the name. I have also read that others had no issue changing their name on their SSN card before receiving EAD. I'm a little frustrated because the Orlando office is inconsistent with this process. I do know that they did change the name of a friend's SSN in the exact same situation as my own, but have denied me.

I went to the SSA office yesterday, waited 2 hours, only to be told that nothing could be done until I had EAD.

After visiting the DMV today, hoping that I could at least get my license (my current Ontario license expires in July), they couldn't do anything as the names conflict in their system. (SSN name vs. married name on NOA for I-485 and EAD....) So, I can't even get a license in my maiden name! The DMV did suggest I go have my name changed in the system with the SSA, even if they didn't give me a card right away. So, I went back to the SSA office, and they wouldn't even change it in the system. I had a supervisor come and look through everything as well, and she confirmed that I must wait for EAD.

When I brought up the section on their website, "Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose," they brought up a statement explaining that a driver's license is not a valid "non-work" purpose.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I really don't want my license to expire and then have to start from scratch because of my SSN! I hate this vicious circle.

Thanks.

Hi I'm 2 days older than your timeline,

POE-April 13, 2010

Marriage date: May 25, 2010

Anyways the difference is we didn't applied for EAD. We went to SSA office after we were able to get our certified copy of marriage certificate. We simply presented it there together with my I94 and passport. I surrendered my old card (with my maiden name on it).The guy in SSA was checking the I94 validity, and he said I'm still qualified to change it and make sure we should send our AOS. After 10 days I was able to get my new SS card with my married name on it.

AOS Journey from K-1

14 April 2010 - Sent I-485,I-765 (Did not apply for AP)

18 April 2010 - Delivered (Sunday)

26 April 2010 - Checks cashed

27 April 2010 - Touched (both forms)

28 April 2010 - Touched (both forms)

29 April 2010 - Touched (both forms)

03 May 2010 - NOAs received (postmarked April 26, 2010 dated April 23, 2010)

05 May 2010 - Biometrics Appointment letter (postmarked April 29, 2010)

07 May 2010 - Biometrics Walk in Done

07 May 2010 - Touch Both EAD and AOS

10 May 2010 - Touch Both EAD and AOS

17 May 2010 - Received New passport under married name

19 May 2010 - Original Biometric Appointment both EAD and AOS

28 June 2010 - EAD approved by email

01 July 2010 - Touch for EAD and another card production email

02 July 2010 - Touch EAD

06 July 2010 - Infopass Schedule

06 July 2010 - Received Interview appointment dated June 29, 2010

09 July 2010 - Touch on EAD dot changed to Post Decision

12 July 2010 - Touch on EAD

13 July 2010 - EAD card received in mail

04 August 2010 - Interview of I-485 (approved)

06 August 2010- Email Card Production for I-485

11 August 2010- Another Email for Card/ Document Production for I-485

12 August 2010- Post Decision Activity Notice has been sent based on email

01 September 2010 - GC received via PO BOX.

Removal of Condition

22 May 2012 - Sent ROC application

29 May 2012 - Confirmed delivered by USPS

11 Jun 2012- Check has been cashed

13 Jun 2012 - Extension letter received dated May 29, 2012 postmarked 6/8/2012

Hi I'm 2 days older than your timeline,

POE-April 13, 2010

Marriage date: May 25, 2010

How do you figure that?

From the time line

US Entry :2010-02-15

From my calculation the I-94 is within 14 days of expiring, so it is no longer of any use in obtaining a work authorized SSN and card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

shrug. my i-94 was still good, i printed out the ssn app, prefilled brought passport marriage cert and that was it, went in and got it in married name no problem in illinois.

and i have to have it in order to get my state id and drivers licence here too. which sucks..but i should have ssn in mail this week.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest it's not a name change problem, but a 'validity date range on I-94' problem.

You have this magical window, from Day 15 to Day 74, from POE date, to do anything with an SSC application.

Before that window, difficult to get processed.

After that window, must wait for greencard or EAD document.

Sorry !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You have a couple options

1. Get the record corrected now, but no card will be issued. Then go apply for a replacement card when you have the EAD card as long as the EAD card has the new name. Once the record has been corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Not the same as card, but something as proof until you can be issued a new card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

The problem is that they won't even change the name in the system, claiming that her non-work reason (DL) isn't a valid reason to even simply make that change without issuing the card.

Don't you wish this very moment you had not changed your name?

For the very reason you personally experienced, and will continue having to deal with, I'm preaching to the choir for eternity: don't change your name unless it's absolutely horrible (like Mary Moron) or unpronouncable for a Westerner (like Xyoy Mplntos).

More importantly, don't change your name if you are an immigrant having to deal with numerous Federal and State agencies and are dependent on their paperwork.

If you absolutely need to change your name, do it when you become a US citizen, as at that time you can choose pretty much any name you like, free of charge, unless it's Queen Latifa or Sir Elton John. But even Dweezil Zappa or Holy Mary would be approved.

Little pointless to bring this up now, methinks. Already been stated that she has taken her husband's name, and applied for AOS accordingly. For many, taking a husband's name is not just simply a matter of replacing an "absolutely horrible" name, and is not something we wish to wait four years down the line for.

I am the "friend" cdn_gewels mentioned in the original post who had no issues with getting my married name not only added to the system, but also had a replacement card issued immediately. The rep was hesitant at changing the information, but said she would try sending it through and see what happened. It was approved without issue.

So it sounds like the problem here is that the I-94 is within a couple of weeks of expiry (not expired yet)? I reapplied for my SSN in my married name a month prior to my I-94 expiring, so perhaps that's why they had no issue doing it?

Only thing I can think of is perhaps trying to quicken up the process for EAD by attempting a walk-in biometrics appointment once the biometrics letter is received... Does anyone know if that's a possibility, or does it vary office to office, etc?

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

The problem is that they won't even change the name in the system, claiming that her non-work reason (DL) isn't a valid reason to even simply make that change without issuing the card.

If you want to get the record corrected go back to the office and ask to speak with the operations manager. You don't want an SSN card for a driver's license, which is not a valid non work reason, you only want to correct the SSN record to get a driver's license, which the POMS reference I provided verifies is possible now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My I-94 expires on May 16th, so I guess tomorrow being Friday, April 30th still keeps me in the window.

I was given a denial notice for my request and it does say that I can call, write or visit the office again to have it reviewed by someone else. I tried calling today but the phone just kept ringing and ringing and ringing, no matter how many times I tried. I had to help my stranded husband today with my car, so a visit to the office just wasn't an option today.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it one more shot, and request to speak to an operations manager tomorrow. My biggest argument is how can it be done for someone else in the EXACT same situation, but not me? Obviously, it is possible. That agent that helped Sam would not do something to compromise her job!

I will print out the information noted about in previous posts and hope it helps. The officer I got just wouldn't budge on his take of it all, and the supervisor that came to look tried read through a lot of stuff in their system, but gave it a no too. Nothing I said worked.

Our Timeline

March 21, 2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 6, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!

February 15, 2010 - POE Thousand Islands

March 27, 2010 - Wedding!

AOS

April 17, 2010 - I-485, I-765, I-131 sent to Chicago Lockbox

April 26, 2010 - Received NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

May 13, 2010 - Transferred to the CSC

May 19, 2010 - Biometrics appointment

June 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd & 30th - touches on I-485

June 25th, 2010 - E-mail: EAD approved

June 30th, 2010 - 2nd E-mail for EAD

July 1st, 2010 - Email: RFE being sent for AOS

July 2nd, 2010 - AP received in the mail

July 6th, 2010 - EAD received in the mail

July 8th, 2010 - Received RFE in the mail. They have no record of my medical!

July 12th, 2010 - RFE (new medical) sent back via Express mail

July 21st, 2010 - Welcome Letter (dated July 15th) received by mail and e-mail received stating GC approved

July 23rd, 2010 - GC received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.