Allamericankiwi

Ban head coverings

65 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

its not about culture its about pious and is between the women that follow it and God.....

does this mean the Mina-nights (prolly spelled wrong) should stop wearing their caps and long dresses? does this mean the Amish should stop their way of life? im a citizen of the usa and i am a muslim what i wear is not anyone's business thats the great thing about the USA freedom of religion.

just my opinion

sara

Filed: Timeline
its not about culture its about pious and is between the women that follow it and God.....

does this mean the Mina-nights (prolly spelled wrong) should stop wearing their caps and long dresses? does this mean the Amish should stop their way of life? im a citizen of the usa and i am a muslim what i wear is not anyone's business thats the great thing about the USA freedom of religion.

just my opinion

sara

Word.

Filed: Timeline

I don't have a problem with head coverings...if women want to, then go for it.

What I do have a problem with, however, is the idea that a woman can attempt to get a US drivers license being fully veiled. Of course, this was years ago, and it didn't happen, but the notion that one could even think one could get a photo id showing just eyes is preposterous.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am Jewish, and cover my hair most of the time. My family has been in Europe for as far back as we can trace, at least 700 years.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What? So you're saying these women should be disrespectful to their faith because they've moved from one country to another? If you were Christian and moved to Thailand, would you dishonor God by bowing to a Buddha statue? Would you be sure to ordain as a monk or nun if one of your parents or grandparents were sick?

As an American woman, I'm not at all offended or intimidated, as you say, by Muslim women who choose to live their faith. Their choice certainly doesn't make me, or them, any more or less "equal" to a man.

You say women in America are equal to men, correct? So then both women and men have the same right to choose how they dress and how they partake in their faith, no? Which is it? These women are equal to you. You may not choose to believe as they do, or even to publicly express your beliefs. Just because their choice of faith and expression is different than yours does not make it any less valid or worthy of respect.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

France has a muslim problem, and they are in their right mind to do it. France is literally losing themselves and they have no choice.

The United States on the other hand doesn't have such a problem and we have no worries about it.

However, these muslim idiots who think they can go to certain jobs and wear a burqa are full of #######. I've seen factories sued because they don't allow them over health concerns. Screw that BS. Same goes for government IDs, etc... It's not going to hurt you to take a picture without the covering. Stop acting like some religious zealot and use your brain for 5 minutes versus some bullshit spouted in some damned book. - Having faith is one thing, being absurd about it is another.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

France has a muslim problem, and they are in their right mind to do it. France is literally losing themselves and they have no choice.

The United States on the other hand doesn't have such a problem and we have no worries about it.

However, these muslim idiots who think they can go to certain jobs and wear a burqa are full of #######. I've seen factories sued because they don't allow them over health concerns. Screw that BS. Same goes for government IDs, etc... It's not going to hurt you to take a picture without the covering. Stop acting like some religious zealot and use your brain for 5 minutes versus some bullshit spouted in some damned book. - Having faith is one thing, being absurd about it is another.

Where have you seen that?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What you may see as "some bullshit spouted in some damned book" is probably seen very differently by others. Leave it alone. The point here isn't whether not you agree with any particular faith. The OP's concerns were equality and offending American women.

Jobs and ID cards and so many other things have rules. If the rules say you have to be equal, then you have to be equal. If they say you have to have a license to practice medicine, then you have to have a license. If they say you have to take a picture without any glasses or head coverings, then so be it. It's up to you to decide how you're going to act and what part your faith plays in those actions. Are you going to be equal? Are you going to get the license? Are you going to remove your glasses or head covering? As with every action, there will be consequences. If you get the license, the consequence is that you're allowed to practice medicine. If you don't, the consequence is that you're not. Agreed?

That's not what the OP is talking about, though. The OP is talking about removing these articles that pertain to an expression of faith anytime the person wearing them is in public. All because it's offensive and somehow detrimental to women's equality. I don't see it. To me, it's a contradiction. Either these women are equal to men and, thus, have an equal ability to choose what they wear, or they aren't equal at all and should refrain from expressing their faith in public. You can't have it both ways.

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

sara

You are correct... but... if I don't believe as you do, then its culture...

Which begs the point, why go to a country that does not believe as you do? Why go there if not to embrace that culture? Why go anywhere that the culture does not suit you?? The whole point in going to another country to live your life is because you want to be like them!

You simply cannot recreate your homeland in a different country. If thats what you want then stay in your homeland and change things there to suit you.

To head out to a different country and have any expectation that others there, should change their ways and laws to suit you, is a totally unrealistic expectation...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Either these women are equal to men and, thus, have an equal ability to choose what they wear, or they aren't equal at all and should refrain from expressing their faith in public. You can't have it both ways.

Faith should be expressed in the home or place of worship. NOT in public!

Why you ask? Because people who do not believe as you believe, may find it offensive.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

Where have you seen that?

Minnesota a couple of years ago (08 I think) where factory workers were being fired for refusal to wear the uniforms and claimed discrimination on religious grounds...

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

Faith should be expressed in the home or place of worship. NOT in public!

Why you ask? Because people who do not believe as you believe, may find it offensive.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist" -Salman Rushdie

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!