Obama 2012

Abortion In Oklahoma: We'll Make You Think Twice

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually this was the "laugh quote" of the story...

" But Democratic Gov. Brad Henry has called the legislation "an unconstitutional attempt by the Oklahoma legislature to insert government into the private lives and decisions of its citizens."

He must be one of the "New" Democrats which want to stay out of peoples lives... and healthcare and food and, MPG ... and business.

We need to expedite him to Washington.

And this is why the government needs to stay out of the people's business, just as you suggest. Stay out of ALL their business, not just the business you want them stay out of depending on your political slant.

Are you brave enough to be, really, pro-life? You support the life choices of gay people? You think that gay people should be able to marry and pass on family benefits to the people they commit to?

Are you really "pro-choice"? If a woman chooses not to abort her baby, should she be able to chosse to carry a handgun concealed on her person to protect the child she didn't abort? Should she be able to choose which school the child she didn't abort goes to and choose which school her property tax money goes to?

This is the typical political ploy by party polical players. They all love the "stay out of private lives" line but never follow it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they have no issue with performing an abortion. why would they have issue discussing it? and now the same question for the patient...as you said: 'people who have made a choice to have an abortion after careful and arduous consideration.'

so whats the problem with discussing it?

no. you said: 'I expect most people that find this law insidious and have access to the choice of having an abortion elsewhere will do so, the rest will go through the motions in order to make you feel better.'

you see where you were blaming me there? & didn't say what you posted above. ;)

'a woman should never be held hostage by the normal functions of her body'

:o did you just say some woman use abortion as birth control? the nerve of you!

Perhaps because at the point you are ready to schedule an appointment you have already made the decision? That the medical practioners who perform abortions woud wish to afford their patients the same respect that everyone is afforded when they choose to undertake an elective procedure? That it is an insut to assume, which this mandate does, that everyone who elects to abort has not considered all the implicatoins of that procedure prior to scheduling the proceedure?

No, I did not suggest that some women use abortion as birth control. Birth control is the planned action of using available pills, creams, barriers and condoms to attempt to prevent insemination. Are you perhaps suggesting that women should only ever have sexual contact if they are prepared to carry a baby to term should they fall pregnant whether or not they take all due measures to prevent pregnancy? Brilliant!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The law of the land is, and has been for nearly 40 years, Roe v. Wade.

* In the first trimester, the state cannot restrict a woman's right to an abortion in any way. The court stated that this trimester begins at conception and ends at the "point at which the fetus becomes 'viable'".

* In the second trimester, the state may only regulate the abortion procedure "in ways that are reasonably related to maternal health" (defined in the companion case of Doe v. Bolton.[2]).

* In the third trimester, the state can choose to restrict or proscribe abortion as it sees fit when the fetus is viable ("except where it is necessary, in appropriate medical judgment, for the preservation of the life or health of the mother").

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that the Oklahoma statute is a direct challenge of the principles held by the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade. It would also seem that this may be precisely what its framers want - to have a test case that gets challenged all the way to the top, in the hopes that the conservative Roberts court strikes Roe v. Wade, and upholds the rights of Oklahoma's legislature to act to restrict abortion.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

it happens often, don't act like it doesn't.

if only an aborted fetus could tell us how it feels.

yah they're cowardly little sh!ts alright, i bet they're on the internet talking sh!t about someone right now. :whistle:

It's common for women to seek surgical abortion as a substitute for ordinary contraceptive practice?

However many instances of that that there might be, it is highly questionable that a person like that is going to be swayed by some obligatory preamble and a few images and sounds.

Meanwhile, the OK legislature would rather patronise all women seeking abortion because it judges all of them based on some bottom of the barrel assessment of their motivations. Delightful.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Be relevant.

Be accurate.

I was. You, on the other hand, were not.

In healthcare "reform" you were all for having government mandate personal healthcare "insurance" whether they like it or not. Here, you want the government to keep its nose out of people's choices.

As I said, be consistent.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

In healthcare "reform" you were all for having government mandate personal healthcare "insurance" whether they like it or not. Here, you want the government to keep its nose out of people's choices.

If you're going to quote me, quote me and don't paraphrase.

Healthcare Reform was front and center of the election campaigns of both major parties, it should be no surprise to anyone that they act on (or at least attempt to) those pledges when they win the election.

To use your logic any attempt by any government to actually run the country would amount to inconsistency.

These aren't interchangeable issues, no.matter how badly you want to use them to score petty, personal points.

Now do you want to talk about the topic or do you want to go off on any other silly tangent? We could talk about smoking because I agree with smoking bans in public buildings.

Ooh-er missus! How hypocritical of me ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yep, Pooky is being consistent and it IS relevent. The government ought to keep out of our business. Stay OUT of my wife's uterus! Stay out of her gall bladder, blood pressure and coronary arteries while you are at it.

Then stay the #### out of my garage, refrigerator, bedroom, wallet, gas tank, electric meter ans salt shaker. I want to have free choice...free choce who to handle my health care, whether or not to have an abortion, own a sex toy, what to drive and what to eat. just stay out of my business!

How's that for consistency?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

This part is truly incomprehensible.

Not so.

This is the really bad part:

State Rep. Dan Sullivan, a Republican, said the bill "simply states that a doctor cannot be sued based on the opinion after birth that a child would have been better off if he or she had been aborted."

#######???

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

Yep, Pooky is being consistent and it IS relevent. The government ought to keep out of our business. Stay OUT of my wife's uterus! Stay out of her gall bladder, blood pressure and coronary arteries while you are at it.

Then stay the #### out of my garage, refrigerator, bedroom, wallet, gas tank, electric meter ans salt shaker. I want to have free choice...free choce who to handle my health care, whether or not to have an abortion, own a sex toy, what to drive and what to eat. just stay out of my business!

How's that for consistency?

It's only relevant if you believe that every issue is equivalent. I don't believe that.

It is how, for example, people can be for abortion and against capital punishment. You appear to want me to believe that a one-size-fits-all discussion is sufficient for both of these issues. Good luck with that argument.