Obama 2012

Abortion In Oklahoma: We'll Make You Think Twice

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

(CNN) -- The Oklahoma Senate voted Tuesday to override the governor's vetoes and pass two abortion-related laws.

One law requires women to undergo an ultrasound examination and listen to a description of it before getting an abortion.

Senate President Pro Tempore Glenn Coffee, a Republican, said Tuesday's vote shows that lawmakers listened to Oklahoma's residents and "made a bold statement in support of the sanctity of life." But Democratic Gov. Brad Henry has called the legislation "an unconstitutional attempt by the Oklahoma legislature to insert government into the private lives and decisions of its citizens."

Henry vetoed the bill and another abortion-related measure Friday, but the state House on Monday overwhelmingly voted to override both vetoes, with House Speaker Chris Benge, a Republican, lauding his colleagues for "moving quickly." The Senate's 36-12 vote Tuesday was the final step required to make the bills laws.

"Those who rallied behind this cause reflected the core values of Oklahoma citizens, and I applaud my colleagues in providing more safeguards for the life of the unborn," Coffee said.

But in a statement after his vetoes Friday, Henry sharply criticized the laws.

"State policymakers should never mandate that a citizen be forced to undergo any medical procedure against his or her will, especially when such a procedure could cause physical or mental trauma," Henry said. "To do so amounts to an unconstitutional invasion of privacy."

He said one of the flaws of the bill is that it lacks an exemption for rape and incest victims.

Henry vetoed similar legislation in 2008. His veto was overridden. The State Supreme Court struck down the legislation because it contained multiple subjects, a violation of the state Constitution requiring measures to deal with a single subject, Senate spokeswoman Malia Bennett said.

The governor says the latest version of the measure is unconstitutional because it puts "government into the private lives and decisions of its citizens." He said opponents are prepared to challenge the measure again.

"Because a similar provision of law has already been struck down by the courts, this legislation will be challenged again, resulting in a costly and potentially futile legal battle for the state," he said.

The Center for Reproductive Rights said Tuesday that it had filed a lawsuit challenging the new law. Stephanie Toti, a staff attorney for the center, said the law is "clearly unconstitutional" and "detrimental to women."

"Politicians have no business making medical decisions. When they do, it seriously undermines doctors' ability to give patients the best medical care and does absolutely nothing to improve the health of patients," she said.

Coffee said challenging the new laws in court would go against what Oklahoma residents want.

"The voice of the people has spoken, twice now this session in the Senate and twice in the House, and I sincerely hope those who would reverse the people's voice would think twice before acting," he said.

The other measure approved by legislators Tuesday prohibits pregnant women and their families from seeking legal damages if physicians "knowingly and negligently" withhold key information or provide inaccurate information about their pregnancies.

It says it is "unconscionable to grant a physician legal protection to mislead or misinform a pregnant woman in an effort to impose his or her personal beliefs on his patient."

Such an issue would be particularly relevant to fetuses with disabilities.

"By prohibiting recovery of damages in wrongful birth and life malpractice actions, the legislation would allow unscrupulous, reckless or negligent physicians to knowingly withhold information or negligently provide inaccurate information to pregnant women without facing the potential of legal consequences," Henry said.

The House voted to override the veto of the ultrasound bill by a vote of 81 to 14, well above the three-fourths majority required. State Rep. Lisa Billy, a Republican, said the bill "does nothing more than give women as much information as possible before they make the life-altering decision to have an abortion."

"I don't want a single woman to go through the lifelong torture of having an abortion without having all the relevant information," Billy said.

The House voted 84 to 12 to override the veto of the legal damage prohibition. State Rep. Dan Sullivan, a Republican, said the bill "simply states that a doctor cannot be sued based on the opinion after birth that a child would have been better off if he or she had been aborted."

"A bipartisan coalition of members supported this bill the first time, and I am pleased they did again today," Sullivan said.

Benge, the House speaker, said, "We must move to stop the degradation of human life seen in recent years and stand up for those who cannot defend themselves."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/27/oklahoma.abortion/

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This daddy knows best stuff is despicable.

nhc, IEA

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

What an ugly law. Either you believe that having an abortion is the result of a difficult decision, in which case this is just adding another layer of trauma, but will not change the decision - or you believe that having an abortion is like choosing a hair colour where this will have no adverse effect but not change the decision. How sanctimonious of these politicians.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Indeed. It patronises the women undergoing the procedure - because naturally they just aren't intelligent or motivated enough to make an informed decision on their own :rolleyes:

And naturally (as with this AZ illegal immigration law in the other thread), it's been cooked up by some douchebag politician who has little regard or interest in the poor ####### who has to put the law into action.

If I were the doctor, I'd be embarassed (not to mention feeling like a total arsehole) to have to instigate such a farce.

Filed: Timeline

Indeed. It patronises the women undergoing the procedure - because naturally they just aren't intelligent or motivated enough to make an informed decision on their own :rolleyes:

And naturally (as with this AZ illegal immigration law in the other thread), it's been cooked up by some douchebag politician who has little regard or interest in the poor ####### who has to put the law into action.

If I were the doctor, I'd be embarassed (not to mention feeling like a total arsehole) to have to instigate such a farce.

you'd be good with murdering a child. but, not w/ making the mother realize what she is doing?

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

you'd be good with murdering a child. but, not w/ making the mother realize what she is doing?

Do you think that women show up at the abortion clinics thinking that they are getting their hair and nails done?

What I think about abortion is irrelevant - I'm not having one, nor do I plan to ;)

It's not my place, nor yours to shoehorn our views into another individual's decision-making process. Whether or not anyone likes it, its not our business.

If that isn't the case, then should a complete stranger be allowed to tell you what clothes to wear, or what food to eat for lunch? Of course not - you'd tell them to go ** themselves.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
:pop:

USCIS : 104 Days

10-30-2009 : I-130 and Documents Sent

11-06-2009 : NOA1

02-18-2010 : NOA2

NVC : 66 Days

02-24-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-25-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

02-26-2010 : DS-3032 Sent by E-Mail

03-02-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-02-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

03-02-2010 : Pay AOS and IV Bill Online

03-04-2010 : AOS Shows PAID

03-08-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID

03-09-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-09-2010 : Receive IV Bill

03-19-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

03-24-2010 : False RFE for DS-230; Confirmed AOS Reviewed and No Missing Information Found

04-02-2010 : Sign-In Failed. Thank you, Lord!

04-05-2010 : Case Completed at NVC

04-15-2010 : Majorly Unhappy with NVC

04-30-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

Embassy :

05-06-2010 : Medical Exam

06-08-2010 : Interview Date -- Approved! Experience and Review

06-18-2010 : Visa Received

(CNN) -- The Oklahoma Senate voted Tuesday to override the governor's vetoes and pass two abortion-related laws.

The other measure approved by legislators Tuesday prohibits pregnant women and their families from seeking legal damages if physicians "knowingly and negligently" withhold key information or provide inaccurate information about their pregnancies.

It says it is "unconscionable to grant a physician legal protection to mislead or misinform a pregnant woman in an effort to impose his or her personal beliefs on his patient."

Such an issue would be particularly relevant to fetuses with disabilities.

"By prohibiting recovery of damages in wrongful birth and life malpractice actions, the legislation would allow unscrupulous, reckless or negligent physicians to knowingly withhold information or negligently provide inaccurate information to pregnant women without facing the potential of legal consequences," Henry said.

This part is truly incomprehensible.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Do you think that women show up at the abortion clinics thinking that they are getting their hair and nails done?

What I think about abortion is irrelevant - I'm not having one, nor do I plan to ;)

It's not my place, nor yours to shoehorn our views into another individual's decision-making process. Whether or not anyone likes it, its not our business.

If that isn't the case, then should a complete stranger be allowed to tell you what clothes to wear, or what food to eat for lunch? Of course not - you'd tell them to go ** themselves.

i think more woman than you want to admit use abortion as birth control. apparently so do the lawmakers in oklahoma. so they're making them watch it. not the PP videos, the real procedure. don't like? tough sh!t buddy. don't have an abortion in oklahoma.

Edited by SMOKE
7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i think more woman than you want to admit use abortion as birth control. apparently so do the lawmakers in oklahoma. so they're making them watch it. not the PP videos, the real procedure. don't like? tough sh!t buddy. don't have an abortion in oklahoma.

I guess the real question presented is... Why the ** would someone even want to live in Oklahoma? Shitty college football teams, shitty basketball team, and all you've got is texas below you to make you look good. :rofl:

Yet you don't try to counter any of it :jest:

ok. 3 of the top 4 NFL draft picks & 4 of the top 21 came from oklahoma. college titles aren't everything. although OU has 7 & the thunder sure kicked the sh!t outta the lakers the other night didn't they? lets see what happens from here on out. 2-2 & oklahoma was suppose to get swept.. :whistle:

you are right about all we have are the facts. texas sucks & kansas blows.

7yqZWFL.jpg