5 posts in this topic

I have read 2 different things on this website in regards to if an I-693 is required to be filled out. Under the step by step guide for AOS it states that even though you aren't required to have another phyical if your physical was done within the year you are still required to send in the I-693 and have part 1, 2 and 5 filled out and have it signed by a Civil Surgeon. In the section that's specific for the I-693 it states that if you had all your vaccinations prior to entering the U.S. and it was done for your medical overseas you are NOT required to send in the I-693 with the AOS submisson...so which is it? John had all the required vaccinations completed before coming to the U.S. and I'm having a VERY difficult time with the Civil Surgeon here...sooo I need to know if I'm putting myself through a lot of unnecassary hassle/headache. Do we need to fill out this I-693 or are we good?

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

To be honest it all depends on whoever is deciding or handling your case. In our own case, we didn't send in the I-693 with the AOS application as it was still within the 1 year frame. And everything was ok...no RFE. Even at the interview it wasn't mentioned at all. But I have seen some few cases here on this website, especially with those who filed in December, 2009 they received alot of RFE for not including the I-693.

So it's entirely up to you if you want take the risk like we did. Or if you want to play safe and avoid RFE you might just get a civil surgeon to transfer your vaccination record/ information unto the vaccination section/part on form I-693,and have it signed and sealed by the surgeon. That shouldn't be a problem for the civil surgeon to do, though they will charge for this service.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck with your application.

Here's my thoughts as nobody has a clear answer, thus the confusion.

The big I-693 question started with the change in immunizations Summer 2008 which we were caught in. So for Fall 2008 AOS filers there was a buzz that you had to get immunizations transcribed and also a TB skin test. We decided to try it with only the DS3025 and no skin test. We didn't care about an RFE at that point because we were together and a delay for the GC of a couple of weeks didn't affect our day to day life. So it worked and many, many others started doing the same thing, also with no RFE.

Also the form I-693 changed where there was no longer the vaccination supplement separate (I-693A). Civil Surgeons were reluctant to fill out select pieces of the form (immunization section) and sign off with other sections blank. Many refused. Others just didn't understand the K visa and insisted a full exam had to be done since the bulk of AOS people do require an exam. The CS hassles are still going on.

Things changed again with Nov/Dec 2009 AOS filers. There were suddenly so many RFEs for the form I-693. Every third post in the AOS forum was about getting an RFE. Some people got them that had done the immunizaton section of the I-693. The RFE was very generic and vague at first..."Please submit a properly completed I-693." Then they got a little clearer...."We received your immunization but there is no medical exam." That indicates to me that the medical exam in the brown envelope wasn't in the file. But how could so many brown envelopes be lost? I dug around and found out that the contract for the mail opening/initial processing contractors at the Chicago Lockbox had run out and a new company got the bid. The new contractors had different procedures for getting the applications opened, checked for completeness, NOAed, and generally organized for the USCIS employees to review/process. The new contractors started in the late fall of 2009. So is it just a coincidence that there's new workers and a sudden flood of RFEs because they didn't find a full medical exam in the application. I personally think they didn't have on their checklist to order the A-file (your brown POE envelope) for K visa applicants. People were told at InfoPass appointments to send back the RFE with the instructions highlighted that a K visa holder does not need another exam and to and request that the A-file be ordered. So lately the AOS forum isn't completely full of medical RFEs, and I wonder if the hiccup with the Nov/Dec filers got corrected. Or maybe everyone started doing the I-693 and paying $$$ to Civil Surgeons.

So for you, it's your choice of what you want to do. I personally would do like we did before all over again, before I paid somebody to copy a piece of paper for me. But that's not advice...it's only what I would do. Then if an RFE, I'd reluctantly spend the money. My husbands DS3025 had two MMR shots, a Tdap, VH, and age not appropriate ticks. No boxes were just left empty. It did not say complete. I've read instructions from the CDC to doctors that clearly say most immunization forms will have the blanket waiver box ticked. It's because you don't get every shot on the list and ask for a waiver for the ones not age appropriate. I also think people get immunization RFEs because they can't read the chart to know what they need and what is listed on their DS3025. They think if they got a visa, then all is well. They don't understand you can get a visa with no shots, but you can't adjust status.

So JKminney, you seem like a perfect candidate to try the old DS3025 thing if you have the proper shots documented by Knightsbridge. I would include a statement taken from those instuctions stating that as a K visa holder you do not need another medical exam etc etc. And I would also state that your immunizations were completed in the UK and signed off by a US government approved panel physician. Or you can go pay a Civil Surgeon to copy your shot record. It's hard to find one who will do it for a reasonable amount, but there are some out there.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but maybe there's some information that will help you make your decision.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We did the I-693, included the DS-3025, however, husband needed NO shots and they filled it out for 35.00. Good luck to you. No RFE for it. Case transferred to CSC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It is discussed here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included

Long story short... if your DS-3025 is marked "COMPLETE" then you can risk sending it in. If, like me, yours is marked "incomplete, eligible for waiver" then I hadthe I-693 completed (just part 1, part 2 (vaccinations only) and part 5). I sent both that (it was in a sealed envelope) and the DS-3025 with my AOS packet.

Astrid from Australia had her DS-3025 marked complete so she just sent that in (no I-693). She has now (less than 50 days later) had her AOS approved and is awaiting the GC's arrival.

** moved from "Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports" to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" as the prior forum is for case updates/progress and this one is for questions**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.