Obama 2012

Arizonans and The Nation Torn On Immigration Bill

767 posts in this topic

You are simply naive if you believe that, or just ignorant of the process. If someone is a suspect, and doesn't have any ID on them, they cannot verify their identity on the spot, they will have to be taken into custody and transported to the police station to be finger printed, or an alternate verification process.

Rob, we already have these same rules up here in NoVA - outside DC. Guess what, the illegals pissed off and there are still a lot of good honest Hispanic immigrants and Americans around.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Did anyone see that program about what people can be persuaded to do if someone you percieve to be in authority tells you that it is ok, despite your own evidence that it's not? It was flawed in many ways, but it was interesting - the girl who refused to even start the 'pain' test was great :thumbs:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

SO WHAT? They'll ask him for his ID, he'll produce it and he'll go on his merry way. What is the BFD?

the BFD would be that he would be asked for identification for the only reason that he talks or looks a certain way. that IS A BFD

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does the police ask everyone they stop/arrest how fast they were going?? I bet its only those who are stopped for a speeding ticket!! Those racist Ba$tard$!!! I bet they don't ask the bank robber or the rapist that question!!

What questions are or are not asked, depends on what the crime is... no cop will ask the same questions no matter the reason for stopping.

If you are not a citizen you better be carrying it!!!

Generally speaking if you are caught speeding, the officer has radar data to prove it. They don't need to ask ;)

The issue here is whether people will be unfairly inconvenienced by a law that requires officers to ask individuals about their immigrant status. It's an extremely sensitive issue for obvious reasons. Obviously, that's why there is opposition; and why, for example, the girl described in the article is carrying numerous pieces of ID with her in case she has a problem.

A lot of the Arizona police force are very reluctant on this law too from what I read. They do not want to be the front line of making these types of decisions, and to be honest, why should they be? Of course Sheriff Joe is keen to enforce this measure :)

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You are simply naive if you believe that, or just ignorant of the process. If someone is a suspect, and doesn't have any ID on them, they cannot verify their identity on the spot, they will have to be taken into custody and transported to the police station to be finger printed, or an alternate verification process.

That damn well better be how it happens!! If the cops fail to do this they can lose their jods!!

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Generally speaking if you are caught speeding, the officer has radar data to prove it. They don't need to ask ;)

The issue here is whether people will be unfairly inconvenienced by a law that requires officers to ask individuals about their immigrant status. It's an extremely sensitive issue for obvious reasons. Obviously, that's why there is opposition; and why, for example, the girl described in the article is carrying numerous pieces of ID with her in case she has a problem.

So what is your answer then? The minority that always speak against these sort of proactive measures never seem to have a solution of their own. You just spend 24/7 telling everyone else just how wrong they apparently are.

So what is your solution? Though, spare me with the create jobs in Mexico to stop them coming idiocy. Which is akin to saying I want world peace.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

SO WHAT? They'll ask him for his ID, he'll produce it and he'll go on his merry way. What is the BFD?

The big deal is that he is a citizen, and as such, not required to carry ID, only identify himself to authorities if asked. The big deal is that even though he is a citizen, would stand a good chance of going to the police station, in custody, to have to establish his status. This law in essence treats all hispanics as if they are illegal.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Well if she was speeding and was getting a traffic ticket for it, she could tell the officer she is an immigrant, fail to provide ID and she still can't be arrested.

It wouldn't be the first time that politicians have come up with a law with no consideration for the poor buggers who have to implement it.

True, and hopefully, their reluctance to be on the front line on immigration enforcement may well prove to be one of the things that kills it. I can but hope :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So what is your answer then? The minority that always speak against these sort of proactive measures never seem to have a solution of their own. You just spend 24/7 telling everyone else just how wrong they apparently are.

So what is your solution? Though, spare me with the create jobs in Mexico to stop them coming idiocy. Which is akin to saying I want world peace.

I don't have an answer.

I'm not required to have one either - if I were I would be a politician.

Of course the line of argument you want to pursue now is that any idea is better than no idea, and that the problems inherent with it are not worth talking about. Naturally, it doesn't work that way.

The big deal is that he is a citizen, and as such, not required to carry ID, only identify himself to authorities if asked. The big deal is that even though he is a citizen, would stand a good chance of going to the police station, in custody, to have to establish his status. This law in essence treats all hispanics as if they are illegal.

Rob, any ideas of a workable solution then? Or just the usual imaginary paranoia driven scenario.

How about having the people of Arizona vote on this?