9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I filed my I-129f petition for my fiance toward the end of January, he received his visa April 21. Never did I ever imagine the whole process would go this fast. I filed in January because I was worried he may not receive the visa in time for our wedding which was scheduled for December. We decided to get married in December because that was when he would finish his studies. The problem is his visa is only good until October. We don't want to have to go through the whole process again, but he needs to graduate. Is there a way to get an extension on the amount of time he is given to come to the United States? I suppose he could come in July while he has his winter break and we could get married and file everything. But that only gives us one month to try and put things in order. How can we get him permission to remain outside the States and return in that short period of time?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I am afraid that the consulate might not extend the validity of an approved K-1 visa unless it is for very extreme circumstances(death of a family member,or something of a very serious nature) and that too with proof.I cannot go into further depth without running the risk of giving you false information.Some of the experienced members will definitely give you a clear idea.But I have read some similar posts a while back and that was what I gathered.

Hope you guys can work something out and not have to go through all of this again .!

Anwesha

K-1 Visa

11/03/09:I-129F sent to VSC

11/06/09:NOA1

03/02/10:NOA2 !!!

05/24/10:Interview!!-Approved!

POE: 28th June

AOS

07/20/2010: AOS sent

07/21/2010: Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/27/2010:text and email notifications received,cheque cashed!

07/30/2010:NOA1 received for EAD

08/02/2010:NOA1s for AOS/AP received

08/11/2010: AP touched

08/18/2010:I-485 transferred to CSC

08/19/2010:I-485 touched, 08/24: I-485 physically in CSC now,08/25 :I-485 touched

08/27/2010:put in service request with USCIS for Biometrics letter

09/08/2010:AP approved and EAD touched

09/11/2010:AP and EAD touched

09/14/2010:Biometrics walk-in successful (10/01/2010:Original biometrics appt)

09/13/2010:AP last touched

09/14/2010:EAD card production ordered and AOS touched

09/15/2010:EAD and AOS touched

09/20/2010:Received AP in the mail

09/24/2010:EAD in mail

10/13/2010:GC card production ordered

10/14 and 10/15: AOS touched

10/20/2010: GC received- Done with USCIS till June,2012

My humble blog:

http://songbird24.wordpress.com/

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I filed my I-129f petition for my fiance toward the end of January, he received his visa April 21. Never did I ever imagine the whole process would go this fast. I filed in January because I was worried he may not receive the visa in time for our wedding which was scheduled for December. We decided to get married in December because that was when he would finish his studies. The problem is his visa is only good until October. We don't want to have to go through the whole process again, but he needs to graduate. Is there a way to get an extension on the amount of time he is given to come to the United States? I suppose he could come in July while he has his winter break and we could get married and file everything. But that only gives us one month to try and put things in order. How can we get him permission to remain outside the States and return in that short period of time?

The correct procedure would have been to delay the interview and issue of the visa. At this point, I'm afraid you're stuck with the expiration date you have. It's possible but not assured that you could marry, file AOS and obtain emergency advance parole in a month but there's never a guarantee on emergency advance parole. Often, they want biometrics in the USA before issuing it.

It won't hurt anything to contact the Consulate to see what they will do though.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I'm excited to finally see another USA/Bolivia "Match Made in Heaven!" My I-129f was received in early March and I can only hope that the process goes as fast for us as it did for you.

It just so happens that my fiancee is finishing up her studies in Bolivia as well. Actually, she's finished with her course work but to actually get her "degree" she has to complete her thesis. Luckily for her, she's already explained our future plans to the 'powers that be,' and they've told her that as soon as she completes her work, they could pretty much let her graduate early (instead of October).

I know that none of this helps much but is it possible that he could make some sort of arrangement with his university such as an extended break, early graduation, etc? If the American government isn't able to cut you some slack, maybe his school will.

b935d5d962.png

K-1 TIMELINE

Feb 22, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Mar 03, 2010 - Arrived at CSC

Mar 08, 2010 - NOA-1

Mar 09, 2010 - Touched

May 25, 2010 - NOA2 (Approved in 83 days from NOA1 date)

Jun 17, 2010 - Packet 4

Jun 30, 2010 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jul 15, 2010 - Interview Date (221g "Pending Approval-Police Certificate)

Sep 15, 2010 - Visa adjudicated, printed, & Mailed via DHL

Sep 17, 2010 - Visa pick-up date

?? - POE USA

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Marriage

?? - Start AOS process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

At this point there is no loss in trying ask the embassy or DOS to extend the validity of the visa. Explain why you filed so "early" and that finishing the degree is important. The worse thing that happens is they say no way and you go to plan B and the best thing is that they say yes. This may be a good point to involve your congressman.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I'm excited to finally see another USA/Bolivia "Match Made in Heaven!" My I-129f was received in early March and I can only hope that the process goes as fast for us as it did for you.

It just so happens that my fiancee is finishing up her studies in Bolivia as well. Actually, she's finished with her course work but to actually get her "degree" she has to complete her thesis. Luckily for her, she's already explained our future plans to the 'powers that be,' and they've told her that as soon as she completes her work, they could pretty much let her graduate early (instead of October).

I know that none of this helps much but is it possible that he could make some sort of arrangement with his university such as an extended break, early graduation, etc? If the American government isn't able to cut you some slack, maybe his school will.

Hi!!! Nice to meet you!! It is great to know we are not alone out there. How did you guys meet? Best of luck to you. I hope that maybe the university will be a little more cooperative than the government like they were for you.

Rachel & Jaime

Timeline

Hi!!! Nice to meet you!! It is great to know we are not alone out there. How did you guys meet? Best of luck to you. I hope that maybe the university will be a little more cooperative than the government like they were for you.

Rachel & Jaime

Hi Rachel, it's good to meet you too! It is nice knowing that we are not alone out there. It's a bit nerve-wracking when you're trying to compare your timeline to someone else's when there's not a lot of similarities in cases to compare yourself to. I'm actually a US soldier currently working in Peru. My sweetheart was vacationing in Peru during the Christmas holidays. We met at a New Year's Eve party and the rest is history.

When we decided to go ahead with the paperwork, it was difficult explaining to her that this isn't a process that happens overnight (although it kinda looks that way with you :) ). I had done as much research as I possibly could in a crazy attempt to predict when she would get her visa. Her initial decision was to quit school. She had already completed her classes, she just needed to write her thesis (which is more or less like a final exam before securing the diploma). She talked to her professors at school and they pretty much agreed that her degree wouldn't carry much weight in the US. Personally, I didn't want to see her throw away 5 years of college and not get her diploma.

I will be returning to the US in mid-summer. She was hoping that she would have her visa in hand so that she could enter the states with me. Unfortunately, I've not heard anything since my NOA1 so I explained to her that she might have to do her interview without me. At that point, she figured if she was going to have wait longer than we had hoped; she might as well try to finish school. Her university is aware of our situation and is willing to cut her some slack if she needs it.

I wish there was some way to snap our fingers and make this process a lot easier but it is difficult to plan for anything when you never really know "how" or "when" you're going to come out of this.

Have you tried contacting the people in La Paz? Perhaps they might be able to do something for you. But as I suggested earlier, Jaime might be able to explain his situation to his school. I doubt our sweethearts are attending the same university, but you never know when someone might be willing to do you a favor.

Best of luck to you both!

Eric & Lizeth

PS: Would it be rude to ask what part of IL? ;)

b935d5d962.png

K-1 TIMELINE

Feb 22, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Mar 03, 2010 - Arrived at CSC

Mar 08, 2010 - NOA-1

Mar 09, 2010 - Touched

May 25, 2010 - NOA2 (Approved in 83 days from NOA1 date)

Jun 17, 2010 - Packet 4

Jun 30, 2010 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jul 15, 2010 - Interview Date (221g "Pending Approval-Police Certificate)

Sep 15, 2010 - Visa adjudicated, printed, & Mailed via DHL

Sep 17, 2010 - Visa pick-up date

?? - POE USA

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Marriage

?? - Start AOS process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Why not get married just legally in city hall and have the wedding in December as planned? Most couples do that.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.