9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So my AOS application came back to me due to... the check was written wrong. :bonk:

Since I received my SSN card a week after I mailed the package, now I can use the number on the forms. I'd like to know if I need to change my name on the SSN card in order to use the number in the AOS + Work Authorization application.

I already have my SSN card, but its on my maiden's name yet, and I'd like to apply for AOS + Work Authorization with my new married name. Should I apply for the SSN name change first, and then mail the forms? Or mail them with the number already to gain some time and change the SSN card while it travels and stands on queue?

The doubt is also because I thought about changing the name just once I get the job authorization, so that I go to the SSA office only once, to both change to the married name and to put the work authotization on it (since now it has that "work only with DHS authorization" message).

Any thoughts?

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all,

So my AOS application came back to me due to... the check was written wrong. :bonk:

Since I received my SSN card a week after I mailed the package, now I can use the number on the forms. I'd like to know if I need to change my name on the SSN card in order to use the number in the AOS + Work Authorization application.

I already have my SSN card, but its on my maiden's name yet, and I'd like to apply for AOS + Work Authorization with my new married name. Should I apply for the SSN name change first, and then mail the forms? Or mail them with the number already to gain some time and change the SSN card while it travels and stands on queue?

The doubt is also because I thought about changing the name just once I get the job authorization, so that I go to the SSA office only once, to both change to the married name and to put the work authotization on it (since now it has that "work only with DHS authorization" message).

Any thoughts?

I changed my name on my SSN a few days after I mailed off my AOS package. I also did my AOS/AP/EAD in my married name.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all,

Any thoughts?

You can write the SSN on the forms even though it's in your maiden name and the forms in your married name. This is what I've done. Some people have had problems changing the SSN to their married name after the I-94 is expired or even after marriage and told to come back once they have their EAD or GC. Personally I will be going back when I get the EAD AND when I get the GC. When you get the GC you can get the "only valid with DHS authorisation" removed. The EAD will just allow me to change to my married name.. I hope :)

As for the cheque, please make sure it is written like USCIS wants like this link says: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3850a99ba78af110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Ouch, returned for not writing the check correctly. Did you have the name on the check wrong? You write it out to "USCIS", right? For $1010 (double ouch).

:star:

Nope. You write it out to " U.S. Department of Homeland Security" as per the link I posted, and also the I-485 instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf page 8

Thank you!

And we wrote $1100 instead of $1010 :bonk:

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Even if you are able to change the name with SS office, you # card will have conditional wording 'work use only'. you are better off make one trip to the SS office when you get your GC

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all.

I've got the same question, just wanted to get some clarification.

I have a SSN, but it's in my maiden name. I went to get it after we were married, but we didn't think to bring in the marriage certificate. :P Yeah, we're a little stupid.

I was thinking of trying to go and get it changed to my married name before sending in my AOS paperwork, but I'm just worried about not getting it back in time before my I-94 expires.

Can I leave the SSN in my maiden name, but file all the AOS paperwork in my married name?

Any help would be wonderful!

<3 Sabrina

I sent everything with my married name already. There are questions where you can place your maiden's name, so don't worry about they not finding you or something like that.

I haven't received my AOS approval yet, but I did receive my EAD, it came with my married name already, it was not a problem. I am waiting my GC to change the name on the SSN all at once, since they say you can't have a SSN card issued to you more then 3 times per year, and I already had it once, when I did it with my maiden's name.

5oMDm5.png

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent everything with my married name already. There are questions where you can place your maiden's name, so don't worry about they not finding you or something like that.

I haven't received my AOS approval yet, but I did receive my EAD, it came with my married name already, it was not a problem. I am waiting my GC to change the name on the SSN all at once, since they say you can't have a SSN card issued to you more then 3 times per year, and I already had it once, when I did it with my maiden's name.

That's kind of what I thought. I was just curious, as the expiration of my 1-94 is August 22nd, and I still haven't filed my AOS papers. I was just thinking that if I went back and applied for a replacement that it would get here after that expiration date. I want to get it together and off in the mail before the 22nd so I can hopefully get my AP soon so I can fly home and see my family.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.