-B&T-

A question for those who have already acquired the US Citizenship

42 posts in this topic

First, Congratulations!

This might be a silly question but I want to ask what proof of identifications you carry around with you now that you are basically done with immigration process .Aside from your driver's license, work ID's, etc., are you carrying a US passport or perhaps a copy of it in your wallet/purse also just in case you get pulled over by an immigration officer and question your immigration status?

Thanks for any inputs.:)

First, Congratulations!

This might be a silly question but I want to ask what proof of identifications you carry around with you now that you are basically done with immigration process .Aside from your driver's license, work ID's, etc., are you carrying a US passport or perhaps a copy of it in your wallet/purse also just in case you get pulled over by an immigration officer and question your immigration status?

Why would you want to carry a US passport when driver's license is good enough to prove your status. If police or anyone else wants to run checks on you they'll know you're a US citizen.

Mu husband only carried his drivers license and his military ID. That's what I plan on doing as well.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

First, Congratulations!

A drivers license doesnt mean you are a citizen but it does mean you have legal resident status if its issued in Az. You are probably aware of the potential new law that will be enacted if the bill is signed in the next few days By Brewer. This law will allow any police agency to inquire about a persons status for the first time if they have reason to believe someone has broken a law. If questioned people will need to produce some document proving their legal status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If driver's license may not be 'useful', the question still remains as to what docs should one carry on him/her to prove identity when necessary(after naturalization)? :dance:

A drivers license doesnt mean you are a citizen but it does mean you have legal resident status if its issued in Az. You are probably aware of the potential new law that will be enacted if the bill is signed in the next few days By Brewer. This law will allow any police agency to inquire about a persons status for the first time if they have reason to believe someone has broken a law. If questioned people will need to produce some document proving their legal status.

Thank you guys for the responses, appreciate it. My DL is good until 2019 but doesn't say anything about immigration status so first I was confused I thought I have to upgrade with DMV after acquiring citizenship .BUT just realized it proves I'm a legal resident of AZ. But ID's can be faked right?

I asked you guys because we travel to California a lot and there's checkpoints where they ask for ID's and immigration status and I have had no problem I just show my GC /Passport with them. If I will not carry any proof of legal immigration status and will be stopped for questioning and run checks on me that will take time and delay us and I don't want it to happen esp. that we have a child with us so that is my concern.

Yes I am aware of the immigration bill and as for now I can't say if it's good or not. Some people here say that we will not see much workers standing by the road waiting to get 'hired' but they will be going house to house instead to find a 'job'.

Filed: Other Timeline

First, Congratulations!

Ampi-Thanks for the congratulations..:)

What a great question!!!! (and no, it's not silly at all...)

Actually, I have wondered about that myself....How do I prove my US Citizenship?

I cannot carry a photocopy of the certificate, as on the certificate itself it says, "It is illegal to make photocopies..."

I cannot carry the original certiicate with me....As it can get stolen, lost, damaged, etc. that way. And who the heck carries around a $675 original ($400 replacememnt) piece of paper around with them...lol...

I do not have a US passport (for various reasons..see my other post topics about this...)

I do not have a US green card anymore, since I am no longer a permament resident and they took my green card away when I became a US citizen.

So now what? :unsure:

Lol..Thank goodness I live in New York State....Which is a state where I can get an "enhanced driver's license", which is issued to US Citizens only, and good for land travel between the USA/Canada....lol..

I carry around my "enhanced driver's license" in my wallet, and use it for cross-border land travel...

So that's my solution for now...;)

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey too.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

P.S. However, the solution that I mentioned is not a solution if I do not live in a state that does not have EDLs, nor is a solution if I need to fly internationally as a passport is needed for such...

So I guess I can say that as long as I live in NYS and I don't fly......I'm fine...Anything else....It's still a problem..

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

P.S. However, the solution that I mentioned is not a solution if I do not live in a state that does not have EDLs, nor is a solution if I need to fly internationally as a passport is needed for such...

So I guess I can say that as long as I live in NYS and I don't fly......I'm fine...Anything else....It's still a problem..

Ant

Hi Ant,

Thank you for the replies. Good for you that NY has EDL wish we have that too here in AZ. What other states that issues EDL? Funny, sometimes I would carry my little purse with my GC in it when I check our mailbox which is a little walk from the house lol. :P

Thanks for the good luck too. :) TC.

Hi Ant,

Thank you for the replies. Good for you that NY has EDL wish we have that too here in AZ. What other states that issues EDL? Funny, sometimes I would carry my little purse with my GC in it when I check our mailbox which is a little walk from the house lol. :P

Thanks for the good luck too. :) TC.

Ampi-Here is more information about WHTI travel documents (passports, EDLs, NEXUS cards, etc...)

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

Perhaps you can get one of these documents too? For example, a US passport?

Yeah, it's too bad that other states don't have EDLs...Only 4 have them so far...

Maybe more states will have them too, if there is a greater demand for such?

Lol..As a green card holder, permanent residents are supposed to take their green card "everywhere"....Even to the mailbox...:lol:

I wonder why the US doesn't offer a US citizenship card, or something like that, to carry around....hmm....

But when you are a US Citizen you don't legally need to carry anything! It takes awhile to get used to, but it sure leaves more room in the purse/wallet to carry other things!

Lol...It sure is less to carry on a bike ride....(I bike to my mailbox..It's a mile away...literally...)! I can now leave my wallet/purse at home, and not have to worry about carrying around anything else when I check my mail! The mail is heavy enough...no need to worry about a purse/wallet and cards to throw me off balance!....lol :lol:

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

First, Congratulations!

Thanks for any inputs.smile.gif

Hi Ampi,

Ant is right! good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Cannot carry a photocopy of the certificate, as on the certificate itself it says, "It is illegal to make photocopies..."

Cannot carry the original certiicate with me....As it can get stolen, lost, damaged, etc. that way. And who the heck carries around a $675 original ($400 replacememnt) piece of paper around with them...lol

When you got your Naturalization Certificate you can go to SS office and update your status that you are US citizen. This might help just in case you get stop by the cops. I don't know if the cops will ask you for your SS card though aside from your DL. Never stop by the cops yet, hope not headbonk.gifheadbonk.gif I just carry my DL al the time.

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Ant is right! good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

When you got your Naturalization Certificate you can go to SS office and update your status that you are US citizen. This might help just in case you get stop by the cops. I don't know if the cops will ask you for your SS card though aside from your DL. Never stop by the cops yet, hope not headbonk.gifheadbonk.gif I just carry my DL al the time.

Ampi-Hmm...The cops cannot ask for your SS card either...As that number is supposed to be kept private.....

If you give your card/number out....That is a risk for identity theft!

Lol..I have yet to meet a cop that asks for an SS card...lol..

As well, non-US citizen SS cards are pretty much the same as the US citizen SS cards...

So that doesn't prove anything either, other than you have work/employment status here in the USA...

Heck, even people on temporary work visas, student visas, etc. have SS cards.....

You should though, update your US Citizenship status with the SS office, regardless......

Likewise, it's the same with a regular driver's license...

Proves that one can drive...and is a resident of that particular state..

Other than that...It doesn't prove US citizenship status either....

Your best bet is a US passport......(or other WHTI document...), to prove US Citizenship status....

Hope this helps too...

PrinceandPrincess-Congrats on the baby! Cute! :) Good luck on your parents' application too..

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Lol....Hmm.....

I wonder if I'm better off with a green card than a naturalization certificate, to prove my legal US status...... :rofl:

Really, the USA should come up with a US citizenship card with a certificate too!

Ant

Ampi-Another solution would be to register to vote, after you get your US Citizenship...

Only US Citizens can vote...

And you can carry around your voter's registration card to prove your US Citizenship too...

Just a thought..;)

Hope this helps too...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, you can say you are a USC and the burden to prove diferently, falls on the IO. I wouldn't carry my whole "life" in the back pocket, if you know what i mean...

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As a natural born citizen, unless I am driving, really don't carry any form of ID. And so can you, absolutely no law that any US citizen has to carry any form of ID.

Was a time in this country, airlines preferred cash, and just asked your name to put on the ticket for the flight registry so they could notify your next of kin in case of an accident.

Times have sure changed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.