CoolHand2x2y2z

HCMC: Scammers outside the U.S. Consulate

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It is just not at the consulate, if there is anything that a foreigner might need done there are scammers there as well. We went to get my drivers license and there were people waiting outside the building where you get the application form and they stopped us, tried to get $100 USD to get me the license, and I still would have to pay for the consulate affadavit. They are also outside of the Department of Justice trying to get people to pay for help with the marriage license, these people want $300 for their services, and the sad thing is their pitch is so good, they can put doubt in almost anyone that has ever delt with Vietnam and legal documents. This is not really their scam, but their way of making a living, it is just sad that they do push some people so far. But as other posters have said they do have it in American big cities as well as all over the world. Jerome

BTW there other people here also doing scams, one guy is offering work permits guarenteed for $500. I think he is from Canada, and a few friends said that the Vietnamese people here do not "screw" people as hard as foreigners here, simply because they want your return business. There are Africans here and Canadians here that will do far worse to you from what I hear than any Vietnamese person would do.

Edited by jeromebinh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah dont let her walk alone, you're crazy for doing that. when i am in Vietnam my wife is always with me, nothing crazy has happen yet, other wise i open up a can of woop ####.

cant blame those viet dude for making a buck but damn, that sound strait like kidnapping.

I've seen these folks in person they were not that bad, just a little pushy that's all.

Dont get violent in a foreign country. You'll spend some time in jail or prison for it and find out how bad life can be. Instead, prevent a problem, and stay in the nicer areas where the tourists are. Peace.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

True that Hopp.. When 3 girls tried to rip a necklace from Thuy right next to me .. they ran away when Thuy screamed.. they got nothing.. a few minutes later here they came again and I was tempted to grab the one that attacked Thuy, by the throat, and shake the ####### out of her.... all I could picture was everyone seeing a huge American grabbing a small VN girl... I would end up in jail... not worth it..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Aussie arrested for deadly fight with local cabbie

Last updated: 4/30/2010 9:40

Police in Ho Chi Minh City have arrested an Australian man for allegedly killing a Vietnamese taxi driver in a conflict over fares on Wednesday.

Rolfe Darrell Alexander, 68, took a Saigon Tourist taxi driven by Le Van H., 41, to go to Phuong Dong Hotel in Tan Binh District from the Tan Son Nhat International Airport, district police said.

They made a deal that Alexander would pay H. VND200,000 (US$10.54) for the trip, police said..

On their way, Alexander wanted to get out because the driver kept driving around, said the tourist, who had arrived in HCMC from the central highlands resort town of Dalat.

But the driver didn’t do as he asked.

When H. stopped on Hoang Van Thu Street to ask local people for directions to the hotel, Alexander got off before paying him VND100,000.

The Vietnamese then ran after Alexander, and grabbed his luggage, police said.

Alexander the hit H. in face, at which point, the driver fell and lost consciousness.

The driver died from brain injuries before he was admitted to hospital, according to police.

Further investigation is ongoing.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20100430094502.aspx

Timeline

That was one heckof a punch! We have had the same thing happen before.. there are so many drivers that don'tknow the roads.. it once took us close to 2 hours toget to dist 1, because the driver took a very long way... we ended up having a huge argument over the price as he tried to change the agreed fixed price to a metered price... I was happy Thuy was there...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

That was one heckof a punch! We have had the same thing happen before.. there are so many drivers that don'tknow the roads.. it once took us close to 2 hours toget to dist 1, because the driver took a very long way... we ended up having a huge argument over the price as he tried to change the agreed fixed price to a metered price... I was happy Thuy was there...

I'd hate to be in the Aussies sandals right now.

It is just not at the consulate, if there is anything that a foreigner might need done there are scammers there as well. We went to get my drivers license and there were people waiting outside the building where you get the application form and they stopped us, tried to get $100 USD to get me the license, and I still would have to pay for the consulate affadavit. They are also outside of the Department of Justice trying to get people to pay for help with the marriage license, these people want $300 for their services, and the sad thing is their pitch is so good, they can put doubt in almost anyone that has ever delt with Vietnam and legal documents. This is not really their scam, but their way of making a living, it is just sad that they do push some people so far. But as other posters have said they do have it in American big cities as well as all over the world. Jerome

BTW there other people here also doing scams, one guy is offering work permits guarenteed for $500. I think he is from Canada, and a few friends said that the Vietnamese people here do not "screw" people as hard as foreigners here, simply because they want your return business. There are Africans here and Canadians here that will do far worse to you from what I hear than any Vietnamese person would do.

:rofl:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Interesting to note that 'Just Looking's account was closed here on VJ. WOW.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Interesting to note that 'Just Looking's account was closed here on VJ. WOW.

whistling.gif I wonder who it really was...

Edited by ScottThuy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

consulate employees........

Really? Do you think those people care enough to troll? I doubt it (just my take).

Wedding in Vietnam: 12/25/2005 (graduate school, below poverty line, couldn't apply)
[b]August 27, 2007[/b]: 1st I-130 packet sent w/incorrect $190 instead of new $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
October 6, 2007: 2nd I-130 packet with $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
January 10, 2008: NOA1 March 31, 2008: NOA2 (approved & sent to NVC)
April 14, 2008: NVC sent AOS Fee Bill (Affidavit of Support) $70.00 & DS-3032 form
Received.
April 15, 2008: Faxed wife the DS-3032 agent form to be mailed from Vietnam.
May 5, 2008: NVC sent request for Affidavit of Support form. May 19. 2008: received NVC's request for Affidavit of Support form.
May 20, 2008: Sent off I-864, Affidavit of Support May 30, 2008: Received IV Fee bill for $400 --money order & sent by Priority Mail.
June 10, 2008: I-864 approved. June 11, 2008: IV fee entered in system. June 16, 2008: DS-230 barcode issued
June 30, 2008: DS-230 mailed by expressed mail July 3, 2008: DS-230 package arrived at NVC & under review
July 11, 2008: Case completed at NVC.
Sept. 5th, 2008: INTERVIEW DATE at HCMC: White paper with writing.
March 26, 2009: Resubmit.
[b]DENIED. June 2009: case sent back & received at USCIS[/b]
August 2009: filed new I-130. Approved after first I-130 case sent to VN, again.
February 2010: USCIS contacted & asked for more evidence
March 2010: USCIS re-approved original case.
April 14, 2010: Consulate sends DS-230
June 15, 2010: Interview Date (Blue issued)
July 13, 2010 Placed on AP -yippee!
Sept. 13, 2010 Consulate home visit
[b]Nov. 5, 2010 Approval letter sent.[/b]
[b]Nov. 19, 2010 Visa picked up. Arrival: Nov. 24, 2010[/b]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Aussie arrested for deadly fight with local cabbie

Last updated: 4/30/2010 9:40

VND200,000 (US$10.54) for the trip, police said..

That is truly sad. Sometimes we go wayyy overboard with our reactions to things that actually don't amount to very much. A life and a ruined life, not to mention all the connected lives to this incident, for under $11 USD.

Wedding in Vietnam: 12/25/2005 (graduate school, below poverty line, couldn't apply)
[b]August 27, 2007[/b]: 1st I-130 packet sent w/incorrect $190 instead of new $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
October 6, 2007: 2nd I-130 packet with $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
January 10, 2008: NOA1 March 31, 2008: NOA2 (approved & sent to NVC)
April 14, 2008: NVC sent AOS Fee Bill (Affidavit of Support) $70.00 & DS-3032 form
Received.
April 15, 2008: Faxed wife the DS-3032 agent form to be mailed from Vietnam.
May 5, 2008: NVC sent request for Affidavit of Support form. May 19. 2008: received NVC's request for Affidavit of Support form.
May 20, 2008: Sent off I-864, Affidavit of Support May 30, 2008: Received IV Fee bill for $400 --money order & sent by Priority Mail.
June 10, 2008: I-864 approved. June 11, 2008: IV fee entered in system. June 16, 2008: DS-230 barcode issued
June 30, 2008: DS-230 mailed by expressed mail July 3, 2008: DS-230 package arrived at NVC & under review
July 11, 2008: Case completed at NVC.
Sept. 5th, 2008: INTERVIEW DATE at HCMC: White paper with writing.
March 26, 2009: Resubmit.
[b]DENIED. June 2009: case sent back & received at USCIS[/b]
August 2009: filed new I-130. Approved after first I-130 case sent to VN, again.
February 2010: USCIS contacted & asked for more evidence
March 2010: USCIS re-approved original case.
April 14, 2010: Consulate sends DS-230
June 15, 2010: Interview Date (Blue issued)
July 13, 2010 Placed on AP -yippee!
Sept. 13, 2010 Consulate home visit
[b]Nov. 5, 2010 Approval letter sent.[/b]
[b]Nov. 19, 2010 Visa picked up. Arrival: Nov. 24, 2010[/b]

That is truly sad. Sometimes we go wayyy overboard with our reactions to things that actually don't amount to very much. A life and a ruined life, not to mention all the connected lives to this incident, for under $11 USD.

The VN newspaper probably left out some important facts or the authorities were bending the truth to squeeze the foreigner. The Taxi cab guy probably assaulted him first before he swung his luggage. I think most foreigners are afraid of confrontation in fear of getting in trouble with the local authorities.

Some of the cab drivers in Saigon don't know the roads to well because most of the drivers come from the country side looking for work in the big city. But also like everyone knows they will try to scam you out of KM fare by going in circles and letting the meter run up. Whenever I take a taxi in VN and I know the route, I sometime don't tell the driver where the final destination is, I just tell them just to drive and I will tell them where to turn left or right. Some drivers will try to tell you there are better ways but they are mostly trying to scam if they persist on going a certain way. And if they are persistent in asking then I just tell them I don't know what the place is called, I just know how to get there.

Edited by Dai_Tx
mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Really? Do you think those people care enough to troll? I doubt it (just my take).

don't doubt - there's been posts about it in the canadian regional - i'd not be surprised if other locations did the same.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.