CoolHand2x2y2z

HCMC: Scammers outside the U.S. Consulate

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just a heads up for those who are coming to the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City: there are scammers setting up across the street.

My wife just got back from the consulate and told me that there were men preventing her from crossing the street and getting to the consulate. They pulled her and would not let her go and then directed her into an office right across the street from the US consulate. She knew where she needed to go and still they wouldn't let her go. In their office she told them she had a letter directing her where to go and so on. Finally, they allowed her to leave. I wish I wasn't so lazy and had accompanied her... Apparently, they operate off consulate's territory so the consulate can't do anything about it. Anyway, they do some sort of "paperwork assistance" operation. Very aggressive bunch!

Don't let your women folk go there alone!

Wedding in Vietnam: 12/25/2005 (graduate school, below poverty line, couldn't apply)
[b]August 27, 2007[/b]: 1st I-130 packet sent w/incorrect $190 instead of new $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
October 6, 2007: 2nd I-130 packet with $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
January 10, 2008: NOA1 March 31, 2008: NOA2 (approved & sent to NVC)
April 14, 2008: NVC sent AOS Fee Bill (Affidavit of Support) $70.00 & DS-3032 form
Received.
April 15, 2008: Faxed wife the DS-3032 agent form to be mailed from Vietnam.
May 5, 2008: NVC sent request for Affidavit of Support form. May 19. 2008: received NVC's request for Affidavit of Support form.
May 20, 2008: Sent off I-864, Affidavit of Support May 30, 2008: Received IV Fee bill for $400 --money order & sent by Priority Mail.
June 10, 2008: I-864 approved. June 11, 2008: IV fee entered in system. June 16, 2008: DS-230 barcode issued
June 30, 2008: DS-230 mailed by expressed mail July 3, 2008: DS-230 package arrived at NVC & under review
July 11, 2008: Case completed at NVC.
Sept. 5th, 2008: INTERVIEW DATE at HCMC: White paper with writing.
March 26, 2009: Resubmit.
[b]DENIED. June 2009: case sent back & received at USCIS[/b]
August 2009: filed new I-130. Approved after first I-130 case sent to VN, again.
February 2010: USCIS contacted & asked for more evidence
March 2010: USCIS re-approved original case.
April 14, 2010: Consulate sends DS-230
June 15, 2010: Interview Date (Blue issued)
July 13, 2010 Placed on AP -yippee!
Sept. 13, 2010 Consulate home visit
[b]Nov. 5, 2010 Approval letter sent.[/b]
[b]Nov. 19, 2010 Visa picked up. Arrival: Nov. 24, 2010[/b]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up for those who are coming to the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City: there are scammers setting up across the street.

My wife just got back from the consulate and told me that there were men preventing her from crossing the street and getting to the consulate. They pulled her and would not let her go and then directed her into an office right across the street from the US consulate. She knew where she needed to go and still they wouldn't let her go. In their office she told them she had a letter directing her where to go and so on. Finally, they allowed her to leave. I wish I wasn't so lazy and had accompanied her... Apparently, they operate off consulate's territory so the consulate can't do anything about it. Anyway, they do some sort of "paperwork assistance" operation. Very aggressive bunch!

oh yeah dont let her walk alone, you're crazy for doing that. when i am in Vietnam my wife is always with me, nothing crazy has happen yet, other wise i open up a can of woop ####.

cant blame those viet dude for making a buck but damn, that sound strait like kidnapping.

I've seen these folks in person they were not that bad, just a little pushy that's all.

41Ihm7.png

Yes I would highly recommend that if your wife or fiancee is going alone to hook with others who are waiting and stay in groups. It can be very busy and hectic in the waiting area accross the street.

I always attended with Doan and I didn't see any of this type of activity back in December or I for sure would have butted in and told them to hit the road. While she was in the consulate I mingled around with other USC's or just sat and talked (as best I could) with others outside waiting.

For those guys who are attending and waiting, keep your eyes open for others who look like they may be getting harrased and step in.

Its a damn shame that our loved ones have to put up with this as they are already stessed to the limits.

Good Luck and Best Wishes to All

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It might have gotten worse lately, but the best advice Binh can offer anyone is to stick close to the street, if you go off of the street and closer to the wall they will and do surround you and try to sell you this or that, or "shine shoe sir" but when you are closer to the street it seems that you are a bit less confronted since for them to get infront of you they have to stand in the street. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

My wife told me the same thing today. She went to the consulate to pass in the DS-230. There one guy ask her what she sending in, she told him ds-230. He tell her to go to the office arcoss of the street to check if she fill out the form correct. My wife said she dont need to but that guy keep telling her just go. She ignore him and walk away. Those scammers just want easy money.

You guys are so paranoid! Take it easy! Saigon is a vibrant city so bustling and hustling is the norm. Only people from the rural and country places got scared of Saigon and its way of life ...

word of a true hustler, word up, make that money, haha,

41Ihm7.png

You guys are so paranoid! Take it easy! Saigon is a vibrant city so bustling and hustling is the norm. Only people from the rural and country places got scared of Saigon and its way of life ...

Everyone here is well aware of the workings of HCMC. Maybe you never had a friend in life who was concerned about looking after you. Here in the VN portal we are a small family and all concered about the well being of others. If you dont want to play nice - go play somehwhere else!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Filed: Timeline

@Bernie - I was born and raised in Saigon so I am very proud of my birthplace. I am just telling you how I feel about the city and its people. Go to Paris, New York, Tokyo or any other big cities and you will see exactly the kind of hustling you see in Saigon. Do not assume anyone who goes after you or your wife in Saigon has ill will. By the way, this is a public forum, I am entitled to my own opinion. You can't tell where to go! Have some thich skin to accept criticisims!

Edited by Just Looking

@Bernie - I was born and raised in Saigon so I am very proud of my birthplace. I am just telling you how I feel about the city and its people. Go to Paris, New York, Tokyo or any other big cities and you will see exactly the kind of hustling you see in Saigon. Do not assume anyone who goes after you or your wife in Saigon has ill will. By the way, this is a public forum, I am entitled to my own opinion. You can't tell where to go! Have some thich skin to accept criticisims!

You certainly are entitiled to your opinion and I meant no offense to the wonderful people of Vietnam, particularly Saigon. I am very proud of my birthplace and in addition the people of Vietnam as they are now a part of my people and my family too. I have traveled around the world to many large cities and some very remote locations and have been accepted graciously everywhere. For that I am thankful. I also have very thick skin and am not easily offended by anyone. Only when I see someone making person attacks at a friend do I become a bit disturbed.

I understand that people everywhere are in need of money and it is the way in some places to try and take advantage of others in some cases. In those cases I will say it is wrong whehter it is part of the cultural norm or not and I would stand up for anyone who I saw who was being "harrased" whether in my hometown, in HCMC or in Caracas, Venezuala for that matter!

When I am in Vietnam I support as many of the local vendors as I can. I dont stay in big fancy hotels (but I can), I dont eat in the Americanized restaurants (but I can), I ride the public transportation and I eat and shop at the small local markets. These are my people too and I love them and support them and always will for the rest of my days.

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, that was not my intention. Just looking our for my "family".

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

And that's the time she should have kicked them between the legs! Good to hear she's ok.

Edited by Mike N Julie

qip3dmkzd14e.png

01/05/12 - Mailed I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions.

01/09/12 - Petiton arrived us VSC.

11/15/12 - Wife Received ten year PR Card.

Timeline

And that's the time she should have kicked them between the legs! Good to hear she's ok.

Grabbing works better.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you should know how Saigon operate by now right? You shouldn't let your S.O walk alone to the consulate anyway. It's your fault and you should be ashame of yourself. hahahah I'm playin'. I think you have been outside of the consulate before right? Imagine seeing those people gaining up on you and you're a lady. I did wait for my wife there for almost 7 hours and I see things happened. Wouldn't let my wife going there alone if I can help it. Well, good luck on your case and be with her all the time man. Treasure those time together.

event.png

Timeline

I didn't have any problems when I went there... Of course, I hope they wouldn't be surprised if I'd grabbed them back just to push them away...hahaa!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.