maiandra

AP only for Emergencies?

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

is the Advanced Parole only for emergency travel? Or can I also use it to travel and visit my family in my homecountry???

My AP states following:

Presentation of the original of this document prior to 1/18/2011 allows a Customs and Border Protection Inspector at a port-of-entry to parole the named bearer, whose photograph appaears hereon, into the United States based upon urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit.

Do I need proof at the POE that it was an emergency? Anybody ever had problems w/ that?

What is a significant public benefit?

THANKS FOR ANY ANSWERS IN ADVANCE!!!

AOS/AP/EAD

WEDDING: OCTOBER 24th 2009!

Nov.16th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD sent to USCIS Chicago office

Nov.18th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD arrived at Chicago PO Box

Dec.11th 2009 - Biometrics Appointment, Alexandria, VA

Jan.19th 2010 - EAD approved

Jan.20th 2010 - AOS Transfer from Chicago to California

Jan.23rd 2010 - AP received

Jan.25th 2010 - EAD received

June 25th 2010 - Green Card production ordered!

July 9th 2010 - Green Card received!

June 11th 2012 - Lifting Conditions filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

is the Advanced Parole only for emergency travel? Or can I also use it to travel and visit my family in my homecountry???

My AP states following:

Presentation of the original of this document prior to 1/18/2011 allows a Customs and Border Protection Inspector at a port-of-entry to parole the named bearer, whose photograph appaears hereon, into the United States based upon urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit.

Do I need proof at the POE that it was an emergency? Anybody ever had problems w/ that?

No, the AP that is issued as part of the I-485 application can be used to re-enter the US after traveling away from the US whether it was for an emergency or not. It is a document that allows you to physically re-enter the country (as long as there are no overstay bans in place) to wait out the processing - you are rejoining your US citizen spouse which is the humanitarian reason. A parolee is technically a different status than if you had not left the country but for your purposes the differences are probably not going to matter. Many VJers have travelled on an AP without it being an emergency.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I agree "It probably won't matter" is true. It's also true that you can read it to mean it's only for emergencies. I think this is one of those technicality laws - usually doesn't have any effect until someone decides to throw the book at you.

We had another long discussion on another thread because other wording regarding the AP talks about "emergent" circumstances, which some people take as merely unplanned (at the time), but not quite emergency....

There are other reasons that you shouldn't plan to travel before you get your green card - what if the interview gets scheduled just when you are gone - what a hassle to try to get all of your flights and other plans rearranged!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My AP states following:

Idealy, they would like you to use it in emergency cases where you obviously can not wait for them to finish with your case but majority of people use it for "everyday reasons". I went to London on an AP and no one at the POE asked me what kind kind of emergency. I would have been screwed since I just went there to hang out with friends and family for christmas.

I agree "It probably won't matter" is true. It's also true that you can read it to mean it's only for emergencies. I think this is one of those technicality laws - usually doesn't have any effect until someone decides to throw the book at you.

We had another long discussion on another thread because other wording regarding the AP talks about "emergent" circumstances, which some people take as merely unplanned (at the time), but not quite emergency....

There are other reasons that you shouldn't plan to travel before you get your green card - what if the interview gets scheduled just when you are gone - what a hassle to try to get all of your flights and other plans rearranged!

The thing is I filed for my GreenCard in November 2009. So many November files have gotten their GreenCard in the mail already, some of them didn't even go to an interview. I am concerned why I have not gotten mine. I am planning to travel in August and I really hope it will be get to me until then. Thanks for the reply. :)

AOS/AP/EAD

Idealy, they would like you to use it in emergency cases where you obviously can not wait for them to finish with your case but majority of people use it for "everyday reasons". I went to London on an AP and no one at the POE asked me what kind kind of emergency. I would have been screwed since I just went there to hang out with friends and family for christmas.

Hey,

my husband booked the tickets already and then he took a look at the AP and freaked out! He always freaks out about the little things, lol, so I needed to find someone that knew better. Thank you. I knew I was right, he just wouldn't believe me! He is calm now.

AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can use AP to visit family and friends... it doesn't have to be an emergency.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.