coraliesolms

Strained Marriage

13 posts in this topic

Since we found out we were in AP, things between my hubby and I have been awkward. Its like its the big elephant in the room and we cant ignore it, but neither of us want to talk about it. The stress has just created too much tension, and Im worried that after 3 and a half years of dealing with this, that its just going to be too much. Has anyone else dealt with this sort of awkwardness?

Its like we cant even talk anymore. :(

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

I'm certainly not of the "experienced" that you requested, however, my two cents...

This process, as you are well aware, is trying on the best of us, and even in the best of situations is strenuous. Whether a 2-month or a 2-year wait, it all seems never-ending when you are separated from the person you've vowed to spend your life with.

But it isn't.

It is completely understandable that you both be at your wits' end in this. Whenever one or both spouses are stressed about something, as we all know, it affects everything we feel and do... and if not handled properly, it can tear us apart. But you don't have to let it! People change over time, but a couple makes the choice to try their best at changing together. Separation makes this hard, but not impossible. Do what you can in your time apart to strengthen your relationship. Don't let problems - like this process - hang in the balance between you two. Talk about it, rant about it. Write letters together to whoever you can, explaining the issues this lengthy wait has caused.

If you or your husband have changed - just as in any relationship - you have to decide if those changes are worth the long haul. But if immigration is the only thing weighing you down as a couple, remember why you undertook it and persevere. It'll be worth it. :)

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow. thank you for sharing that story- very necessary indeed

6y2gm4.pngE1nrm4.png

01/06/10 - Got Married

AOS from F-1 visa (2 months 2 1/2 weeks or 82 days)

04/14/10 - Sent AOS Package

04/26/10 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/16/10 - Biometrics letter

05/19/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/07/10 - Interview Appointment in Philly- July 7 @ 11:05 am APPROVED

07/19/10 - 2 YEAR Green Card received

Removal of Conditions (9 months 1 1/2 weeks or 285 days)

04/08/12 - Eligibility date

04/19/12 - Sent ROC Package

04/26/12 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter

05/24/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

01/25/13 - APPROVED- ROC card production ordered

02/05/13 - 10 YEAR Green Card received

Naturalization (5 months 2 days or 155 days)

04/15/13 - Eligibility date

06/07/13 - Sent Package

06/20/13 - Hardcopy NOAs Received

06/27/12 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics in Dover DE

07/05/13 - Interview letter sent/In-line notification

08/14/13 - Interview scheduled in Philly @ 1:30 pm APPROVED

11/07/13 - Oath Ceremony

Thank you so much Kathryn!! Thats exactly what it is for us. I think he just doesnt really know how to deal with my hurt, because he is so far away that he feels useless. I just hope this ends soon. Thank you very much for that though Kathryn, Im glad Im not the only one who lets it creep into my head that all of these difficulties are a "sign".

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I view it as 'abnormal stress' - and IMO, should be treated as such.

Can't suggest what to do for the husband, but for you , during the next three weeks -

cut contact with him by half and

spend your free time doing

yoga and

aerobic exercise (ya, even speed walking is useful) and

meditation and

get back to that hobby that you've neglected for so long.

The first three get yer body to shift a bit, and a shift of body chemistry without prescriptions is always good.

Seriously - you need to get back to being Human.

You were Human once - remember how it was?

Get back to it - and note - it ain't easy getting back in the groove -

you've allowed this @#$@% Visa Process to permeate your being and yer marriage.

And It Shows.

No, I'm not knocking you, not at all.

Been There, Done That, Wrote the Screen Play, and Sold It .

It's nerve wracking, ya don't sleep, arguments over nothing instantly nosedive into repetitive topics of

'You Don't Love Me' or

'I'm giving Up' or

'Why didn't you do the paperwork __THIS__ way, to begin with?'

You need to relax yerself.

For an immediate jumpstart, for you - get out to a Day Spa on Sunday

and have a deep tissue massage along with a mani/pedi.

You'll feel better, trust me.

If, after 3 weeks of the yoga/aerobic exercise/meditation routine, that stress is still there - strongly suggest you get into a therapist's office and unload all with him/her.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It's nerve wracking, ya don't sleep, arguments over nothing instantly nosedive into repetitive topics of

'You Don't Love Me' or

'I'm giving Up' or

'Why didn't you do the paperwork __THIS__ way, to begin with?'

Oh. My. God. That is so us.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

SachinKy - uh huh. yup. I KNOW !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

DARNELL!!! You described it to a TEE!! I really have become an immigration zombie, and it shows. Too much time on the couch moping. And its left us with nothing else to talk about!! ( And yes, I am guilty of the "you dont love me because if you did you woulda filed those papers yesterday instead of today....).

Thank you all so much, this is what I wanted when I started this topic. Now I know im not "crazy" and my marriage isnt really that far on the rocks. Just need a bit of "back to basics". Starting with right now... I think Ill take my 3 yr old for a nice walk!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Coralie, I will be sending you a pm about this post that you've started my friend, fairly soon! But for now, I just want to say that you are a pillar of strength, and y'all will be together fairly soon!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Other Timeline

Since we found out we were in AP, things between my hubby and I have been awkward. Its like its the big elephant in the room and we cant ignore it, but neither of us want to talk about it. The stress has just created too much tension, and Im worried that after 3 and a half years of dealing with this, that its just going to be too much. Has anyone else dealt with this sort of awkwardness?

Its like we cant even talk anymore. :(

Coraliesolms-(((hugs))) If it makes you feel any better, I totally understand your situation too! Despite us being together while we were waiting, it sure did cause a lot of problems in our marriage too. It definitely created a lot of tension and stress and at times it was too much too. It got to the point where we actually went for counselling, and actually did think about breaking up. And yes, our main point of arguments were on immigration-related issues too.

It affected so many aspects of our lives, negatively...:(

For example, financially, emotionally, socially, medically, relationship-wise, etc.....

In ways, like you, I couldn't ignore it either. And in ways, I found that my husband didn't fully understand what all the fuss was about either...But then again, he had nothing to worry about, as he could stay..and I was the one that couldn't..

We didn't want to talk about it, but yet we had to talk about it, as it was still there and we needed to do something about it, in order to get it resolved...

Thank goodness I had the help of VJers along the way, who understood better too...lol....

Needless to say, we somehow worked out our problems, and have moved on from that.

And decided to stay together instead of break apart......

Lol..It sure helped that I don't have to deal with immigration anymore.

So I do hope that you are able to work through this. And if you do, it will certainly be a big accomplishment, indeed!

Time heals all wounds. And before you know it, time will pass and you will be done with this too....

Don't worry, you will get through this...You are not alone! :)

In the meantime, focus on spending time with your husband and your daughter, doing other things.

Things as simple as phone calls, writing to each other, keeping in touch, while you are apart, certainly helps!

Remember the love and time that you have with your family cannot be taken away. Enjoy every moment!...(L)

Don't let immigration win over your life, win back your own life instead! :star:

And if you can work through this difficult immigration process in your relationship, then you can work through anything! :thumbs:

So yes, go take your daughter out for a walk, instead! Have fun!

(lol..if only I could taken my own advice years ago...oh well....)

Good luck on your journey too. And may it work out for the best for you and your family.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

It is very encouraging to know that we aren't the only ones who have felt this way. I am lucky to have you guys here on VJ. I feel much more positive about things today. :star:

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Coralie.....sorry my reponse is so long in coming....lol..

Ever since I met you in Vancouver at the medical..and we hoofed it all over looking for places for passport photos, and trying to find the 'right' White Spot...wehave kept in pretty close contact..even if it is just VJ and MSN. And there is one thing that I have learned about you....YOU ARE THE STRONGEST, MOST DETERMINED YOUNG WOMAN I HAVE EVER MET! I know how hard this is for you and unlike a lot of us, you have so many more 'hiccups' in your journey and stupid detours and 'do not enter' signs to navigate on your journey...I seriously would have crawled into a hole and given up. But you.....it is like every new speed bump they throw at you, you take a few moments to do the thrashing and wailing thing, and then WATCH OUT!! You throw on your helmet and you ram head first into it with so much determination and a '#### you' attitude that simply astonishes me!!

You will get through this and you will be the person who comes back on VJ years later with wisdom and advice and a calming manner that will endear you to all the newbies on the board!!! Your Podunk hubby is lucky to have found you!! And I am blessed to have you as a 'fellow dumb immigrant' (inside joke folks!!!)

That is all I have to say!! Love ya Girlie!!!!

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.