18 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do to renew the Driver's Permit

• Take I-797C (NOA1)
    • need the actual green card to renew
    • other measure

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My driving learner's permit is expiring soon. I am wondering if there is any way for me to renew it before receiving the actual green card? I figured, since I am a married K1 visa holder and have filed my I-485, my status is valid and I should be able to renew the learner's permit. Is I-797C (NOA1) good enough?

Thank you all in advance!

P.S.

My state (Maryland) requires everyone, regardless of age, to hold a learner's permit for at least 9 months before getting a provisional license. This is why I need to renew the learner's permit instead of just getting a driver's license.

event.png

event.png

AOS + EAD + AP

03/17/10 Mailed using Priority Mail

03/21/10 Arrived at Chicago Lockbox

03/29/10 NOA1 issued

03/31/10 Notice on biometrics appointment for AOS+ EAD issued

04/13/10 I-485 transferred to CSC

04/21/10 Biometrics taken

04/22/10 AOS+EAD touched

05/04/10 AOS touched

05/26/10 EAD card ordered, AP touched/approved

06/01/10 AP received in the mail

06/04/10 Notice on mailing of EAD card received

07/10/10 AOS touched

08/09/10 still no updates

09/09/10 AOS touched

09/11/10 I-129F touched (???)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Doubtful. I know CA won't allow you to use the NOA, you have to use your EAD or GC to do it.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

The requirements for eligibility vary by state. You'll have to get lucky and have someone from Maryland answer your question or do some googling. Start off with "maryland DMV"

Some states will give you a year based on the AOS application (NOA1) but no promises that Maryland is one of them. You may have to wait for the EAD or Green card.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

FLS - OMG - you are driving now ? EEEEK - did you get an old Volvo to drive around? Oh , I hope so, is safest car on planet. Plus if the 740 wagon, can haul all of yer gear for fishing ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will most likely need either the EAD or the green card in order to renew your DL but you should check with your State department - it varies from State to State. I know that NOA notice is not accepted in Georgia.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am in the same sort of situation, i arrived on the 16 feb this year, took my driving test and past 2nd april. My K1 visa expires 16th may. Now, i called uscis and my MVD (im in arizona), when you apply for AOS you will get a receipt, in some states, this is good enough.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

My driving learner's permit is expiring soon. I am wondering if there is any way for me to renew it before receiving the actual green card? I figured, since I am a married K1 visa holder and have filed my I-485, my status is valid and I should be able to renew the learner's permit. Is I-797C (NOA1) good enough?

Thank you all in advance!

P.S.

My state (Maryland) requires everyone, regardless of age, to hold a learner's permit for at least 9 months before getting a provisional license. This is why I need to renew the learner's permit instead of just getting a driver's license.

I guess you need to apply for the actual Driver's License, I mean you need to take the road/driving test. I have never heard of a learner's permit "renewal". However , if yo live in MD and you want to apply for DL- you do need to bring a proof of legal presence- either EAD or GC. The good thing is that no matter when do they expire-your DL is issued for 5 years!I was at MVA 2 days ago, I had my conditional GC and my new MD DL expires in 2015.

VA state has totally different rules. In VA your DL expires when your visa/EAD/GC expires. So if you have a conditional GC-your VA DL expires 2 years later, they won't give you any "extra" time. I lived there when the only thing I had was EAD, so my VA DL was valid for 1 year only.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm on my K1 and am awaiting my EAD which might take a couple of months more.

Can anybody tell me how long I can drive in Maryland on my Indian driving license? I did try looking that up in the MD MVA but didn't find an answer.

17 Dec - I-129F Sent

21 Dec - NOA1

16 Mar - Touch 1

17 Mar - Touch 2

16 Mar - NOA 2 (No update on the uscis site) (85 days)

19th Mar - Package sent from NVC to Embassy

26th Mar - Chennai Embassy sends Packet 4!

27th Apr - Interview Scheduled APPROVED

17 May - POE at BWI

20 May - Wedding

AOS Journey

15 Jun - Applied for SSN

18 Jun - AOS, EAD, AP Packet Sent.

8 Jul - Package resent correcting the mistakes.

19 Jul - NOA1 notification on email/txt

19 Aug - Biometrics completed in Baltimore at assigned date.

31 Aug - EAD Card Production ordered (Email)

2 Sept - AP Approved (Email)

7 Sept - AP Received.

6 Oct - INTERVIEW! RFE for vaccination record.

8 Nov - USCIS receives completed vaccination record

24 Nov - Email from USCIS sying card production ordered

5 Dec - Green Card in the mail box :)

Thank you VisaJourney.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.