Artmin

ssn change name new i-94

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

i went to SSN dept to change my fiance(wife) last name to my lastname after we got married, the officer told me her i-94 has been expired after we got married and i have to apply for marriage I-94?????????? is the officer was right or i just have to go back and talk to another officer . she came to us on march 2010 and now i am filling AOS for her .

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ankara, Turkey

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-02

NVC Received : 2009-10-09

Consulate Received : 2009-10-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-27

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10-29

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2010-02-25

Her I-94 shouldn't be expired (if she entered the US March 05). Correct me if I'm wrong.

**Moved this thread from AOS Family Based to Working/Traveling Prior to Getting a Green Card.

Timeline

Her I-94 shouldn't be expired (if she entered the US March 05). Correct me if I'm wrong.

**Moved this thread from AOS Family Based to Working/Traveling Prior to Getting a Green Card.

how did you find out about mar-5 . anyway no is not, on marriage certificate we have her real last name . do i have to change it to my last name? she came on march 5 . do you think i have to go back to ssn dept and talk to someone else ?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

how did you find out about mar-5 . anyway no is not, on marriage certificate we have her real last name . do i have to change it to my last name? she came on march 5 . do you think i have to go back to ssn dept and talk to someone else ?

He found it in your time line. You put that she entered the US on 3/5/10.

Did you put the wrong date in? If it is correct then it has not expired.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Her I-94 shouldn't be expired. The person you spoke to is a moron.

HOWEVER you mention that "her REAL name" is on the marriage certificate. You cannot "change" the marriage certificate. There are 3 kinds of marriage certificates in the US:

1. Mentions both married AND maiden name. (Name can only be changed to what is written on marriage licence)

2. Mentions only maiden name (can be changed to husbands surname or variation thereof.. like hyphenation)

3. Mentions only MARRIED name (can only be changed to this name)

I personally have #1 and listed my husbands surname as my own. Some states only have one place to mark your name and make you write and sign the NEW name if that's the name you want. So I'm not sure what kind you have (you would need to check your state laws). If you have #1 like me and her maiden name is listed as her married name then she cannot change to your name based on this certificate.

My advice is to return to the SSA with the marriage licence, a completed form and her passport. Explain to them that her I-94 is NOT expired and that as a K1 entrant she is entitled to obtain an SSN. if this doesn't work you can always try again at a different office/different person, or wait till she has her GC.

Timeline

then i just leave ssn like it is now.

for AOS i just put same name on our marriage certificate and her ssn . is that ok ?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

then i just leave ssn like it is now.

for AOS i just put same name on our marriage certificate and her ssn . is that ok ?

What does she want her name to be? Does she want her name changed?

If she DOES then she will need to write her NEW name on all the AOS forms. She will need to SIGN the forms in her NEW name.

If she does NOT want to change her name then she fills her MAIDEN name on the forms and signs her maiden name.

Her SSN can have a different name to her AOS application and she can change it when she gets her GC, if that's what she wants to do.

I personally filled in forms with my MARRIED name, my SSN has my MAIDEN name and I will be changing my SSN when I obtain my GC to my MARRIED name.

If she wants to change her GC AFTER she has received it in her maiden name, then the fee is $300(ish). it's not cheap. Decide now what she would like to be called.

Timeline

i mean by name is her lastname my bad sorry . After we got married. we did not change her lastname to my lastname so i think it will be ok we just go by her lastname on all forms, and Thank you guys

Edited by Artmin

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Filed: Timeline

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence, e.g., foreign passport. Different versions of the name shown on other required documents must be shown in the other name fields in the Enumeration system following RM 10205.013.

If the required documents show clearly different names, do not accept the evidence to process the SSN application. In these situations, the applicant must submit SSN evidence showing the same name or submit evidence of a name change after the immigration document was issued

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

SSN without I94 (K1 Visa)

After a visit to the local Social Security office here in Minneapolis, the officer and supervisor reassured me that she is able to have an SSN without her I-94, as long as we bring a certified marriage certificate. Without being married (and on a K1 visa) she needs the I94 for the system to accept her. *THEY SAID IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER HER NAME IS DIFFERENT ON THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, THEY ARE ABLE TO PROCESS IT*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.