dstone

Chinese Characters Required on DS-156 But Don't Work

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We carefully followed Packet 4 instructions, putting both English and Chinese answers on specified fields of the on-line DS-156 form. But when clicking "Continue" (to get the printable DS-156 with barcode), we get an "invalid entry" error that only English is accepted.

What do we do? Is it acceptable to print the form with English-only answers and then add the required Chinese translation by hand? Thanks.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-12-04

NVC Received : 2009-12-12

NVC Left : 2009-12-19

Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-03-04

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Where are you getting this form? From the Guangzhou site? We printed the blank form and Yi handwrote everything. These forms are convenient if you can type them on the computer, but all the embassy wants is the information..whether handwritten or typed. Just make sure your fiancee writes clearly.

We carefully followed Packet 4 instructions, putting both English and Chinese answers on specified fields of the on-line DS-156 form. But when clicking "Continue" (to get the printable DS-156 with barcode), we get an "invalid entry" error that only English is accepted.

What do we do? Is it acceptable to print the form with English-only answers and then add the required Chinese translation by hand? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Of course.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the 'online DS-156 form' is a label/tag, for an adobe acrobat PDF form.

Instead of trying to handle it 'online' -

save it to disk, blank, first, instead.

Print One Copy as Blank, fill it out in Chinese, by hand.

Fill out one set on the computer in English, print it, put any extra chinese characters in there.

It's still confusing as to WHETHER or not they want one in English, One in Chinese, or two sets (one in English and One in Chinese) - so I suggest you make 2 sets - one in English, one in Chinese - and bring both in on Interview day.

Also bring some blank copies of that form, for interview day, as well.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The form we're using is https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp

Flexibility sounds like the right approach. Thanks.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-12-04

NVC Received : 2009-12-12

NVC Left : 2009-12-19

Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-03-04

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The form we're using is https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp

Flexibility sounds like the right approach. Thanks.

Don't use that form. Guangzhou still provides the form in PDF format here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/K12%20p4/DS156%20Eng.pdf

The eVisa form is designed to be filled out entirely online, and entirely with English/Latin characters. You can't fill it out partly online and partly "by hand" because the barcode it generates won't match the contents of the form. If Guangzhou wants the form filled out in English and Chinese, then use the PDF version of the form that they provide.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Oh - dstone - suggest you get that pdf file from the GUZ 'forms' website at

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/forms_and_packets.htm

under the Packet 4 section for K-1/K-2

Jim has given you the link for the download for the right form.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I have a related question but not really about the online form. My fiancee got the p4 packet and the instruction

about the form DS-156 says to include telegraph code for her chinese name. What's that about?

Does she actually have to go to the post office to look this up? Anybody know what this is used for ?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10-19-09 i-129F sent to CSC

10-22-09 check cashed

11-10-09 NOA1 hard copy, priority date 10-21

1-7-10 NOA2 email

1-21-10 NVC notice - case received from USCIS

1-27-10 Fiance received P3 ! That was fast!

3-15-10 P3 mailed back to embassy

4-10-10 Received P4 , interview on 5/6!

5-6-10 Pink Slip! Interview passed.

Timeline

It might be an old document set - check the expiration date on the form.

Also check out the link I gave for the GUZ IV packets and forms - those are the current ones - I'm thinking you've got old stuff.

Let me know if the newer forms still have the telegraphic code - they're NOT SUPPOSED TO have that, any more. Here's some info on telegraphic codes - http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69&view=findpost&p=26117

and yes, the China Post Office maintains 'the book' of all telegraphic codes, since most China Post Offices handle telegraph communications.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

Wow that was fast. Yep the new packet instruction still has the requirement for telegraph codes.

Weird, I sure hope they don't still use telegraph.

Anyway, there's a tool here you can find the codes: http://www.njstar.com/tools/telecode/

Thanks!

It might be an old document set - check the expiration date on the form.

Also check out the link I gave for the GUZ IV packets and forms - those are the current ones - I'm thinking you've got old stuff.

Let me know if the newer forms still have the telegraphic code - they're NOT SUPPOSED TO have that, any more. Here's some info on telegraphic codes - http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69&view=findpost&p=26117

and yes, the China Post Office maintains 'the book' of all telegraphic codes, since most China Post Offices handle telegraph communications.

Good Luck !

---------------------------------------------------------------

10-19-09 i-129F sent to CSC

10-22-09 check cashed

11-10-09 NOA1 hard copy, priority date 10-21

1-7-10 NOA2 email

1-21-10 NVC notice - case received from USCIS

1-27-10 Fiance received P3 ! That was fast!

3-15-10 P3 mailed back to embassy

4-10-10 Received P4 , interview on 5/6!

5-6-10 Pink Slip! Interview passed.

• 3 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** This thread is 3.5 years old and is being closed because of its age. Please post new questions in a new topic that you can start in the China regional forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.