Oana31

Under what name should I purchase plane ticket?

11 posts in this topic

Got married, and obviously my name on GC is changed, and my passport still shows my maiden name. Question is: on what name should I purchase plane tickets on Expedia ???

US Citizen since 08/11/2015.

I believe you have to put down the name that's in your passport.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As mentioned above - book travel in the name in your passport.

And on a related note, to dramatically simplify things in the future, get your passport changed to your married name.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ans. passport.

side-issue - if greencard is in married name - bring a marriage certificate with you on yer trip outside the usa, to show to the braindead CBP officer at the POE, who might have connection issues on you when you show yer greencard.

Good Luck ! (usually this is easy, with the marriage certificate in hand, btw)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

Why, I wonder over and over again, is it so common among foreigners to change their name when they get married? I do understand the historical context, when a father gave away his child to another man, together with a few sheep or cows and with it all resposibility for her and transferred it to the husband. But in 2010?

Don't immigrants realize that it is perfectly okay to keep their name and identity and would, especially in case of an immigrant who has to deal with USCIS and travel, and later perhaps dual citizenship, give them a lot less to worry about?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Why, I wonder over and over again, is it so common among foreigners to change their name when they get married? I do understand the historical context, when a father gave away his child to another man, together with a few sheep or cows and with it all resposibility for her and transferred it to the husband. But in 2010?

Don't immigrants realize that it is perfectly okay to keep their name and identity and would, especially in case of an immigrant who has to deal with USCIS and travel, and later perhaps dual citizenship, give them a lot less to worry about?

Nothing to do with 2010 and sheep and cows. Its a tradition followed in some parts of the world. Like in India for the woman to change her name after marriage. Has nothing to do with losing identity either. Immigrants realise whats ok in your part of the world. Maybe you can try and understand others customs and traditions or maybe not comment if you don't know.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:wow: I am CANADIAN..and yes..I am an IMMIGRANT, and apparently a foreigner as well!! And I changed my name when I married...just like I changed my name the first time i got married...

Sometimes I wonder from reading your posts if you are slightly socially inept??....or just rude???

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

I understand THAT you changed your name. I do not understand WHY you changed it and ask for a reason so that I understand it. That's rude? It's rude to ask for a reason? Excuse me!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I changed my name because Nik and I are starting our own little family. It's not just a second name to me, but a family name. People who are related have the same family name because they are of the same family - etc. We lived two separate lives and then we were married and now we live one life together - these aren't just platitudes to me. We had different names, lived in different homes, made all our decisions alone about our independent lives. Then we got married and promised to make our way in life together as a new family. Same name, same home, same life to decide on. You talk about changing one's name as loosing one's identity. I'm not sure that changing a name is loosing your identity, or that getting married means that you loose your individuality. But I do think that committing to a life long partnership and who you choose for that is big. It's so huge that it warrants a big change in identity. Marrying Nik didn't detract from my life or my identity, rather, he adds to it.

I guess if you wanted to be "fair" about it, you'd hyphenate, but then when you have kids, what will it be Smith-White marries Doe-Brown and their kids are Smith-White-Doe-Brown??? Eeek. So we selected one name to use for our newly combined family - and we elected to go with tradition and change my name to his.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.