rududu

fiance hired a lawyer

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can fire an attorney at any time, and for any reason. It's never too late. Either your fiance doesn't understand this, or he means that it's too late to get his money back. The latter is true - the lawyer probably won't refund any of his money.

It sounds like your fiance hired an assembly line visa paperwork service, and they're operating from a checklist. A decent attorney who provides personal service would be expensive, and they would charge an hourly rate. He wouldn't be finished paying them until they were finished with his case.

Your fiance may feel bad about losing the money he's already spent, but he'd feel a lot worse about being needlessly delayed or denied because of bungled paperwork. Maybe you should put your foot down and insist he either hire a competent immigration attorney, or invest the time to become educated enough to handle it himself. This is too important to leave it up to some paperwork mill.

How do you fire an attorney once the G-28 is in force? All the paperwork goes to them once you file that.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

If you are comfortable doing it yourself... fire the Lawyer! My first lawyer sat on is fat rear and wasted 35 days of my life. The second lawyer was quick to get things submitted but made a error when converting to his documents.. causing an RFE and additional wait time! My thought is do the K1 yourself, once you get in the country have them help you with the next steps if needed. good luck.

well fiance is saying that its too late to fire the lawyer,coz he signed a contract, well we will see,he said everything should be sent out next week,keeping my fingers crossed.

event.png

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2010-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-04-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-07-12

NVC Received : 2010-07-16

NVC Left : 2010-07-20

Consulate Received : 2010-07-22

Packet 3 Received : 2010-07-26

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-08-06

Packet 4 Received : 2010-08-11

Interview Date : 2010-08-24

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Many law firms charge a set rate for a petition. Most do not charge by the hour.

It is also far from "unnecessary" for the attorney to be interested in documentation of any prior US visa paperwork or USCIS/INS issued documents. Nor should it be considered "unusual" for counsel to be interested in an old passport.

I see absolutley nothing wasteful or untoward about this attorney's performance based upon what the OP is reporting.

Frankly, neither do I. It sounds more like due diligence to me. Hiring a professional is always a two-edged sword. They need to protect both your backside and their own. When you handle your own case, you can trust your interpretation of the facts. Professionals need the facts and to make their own interpretation. That's what they're being paid to do.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How do you fire an attorney once the G-28 is in force? All the paperwork goes to them once you file that.

Send a letter to USCIS notifying that you've fired your attorney, and are withdrawing the G-28. If you're hiring a different attorney then just let your new attorney file a new G-28, which will supersede the previous one. You can even file a G-28 making yourself the representative, but USCIS sometimes kicks about this because they are of the mind that the G-28 is primarily for attorneys. However, 8 CFR, section 292.1(a)(3) specifically allows it, provided you meet a few conditions.

Frankly, neither do I. It sounds more like due diligence to me. Hiring a professional is always a two-edged sword. They need to protect both your backside and their own. When you handle your own case, you can trust your interpretation of the facts. Professionals need the facts and to make their own interpretation. That's what they're being paid to do.

Meh. Making them dig up a bunch of documents which aren't needed for the initial petition filing, and not instructing them to provide documents that are required, is a needless waste of time. They could easily figure out which documents they'll need for the petition stage during the initial interview or questionnaire. Once those documents are provided and the petition has been filed, they could begin working on documents needed for the visa application.

Asking them to provide up front a bunch of documents that are not needed for the petition, and may never be needed at any point in the process, is worse than USCIS/DoS bureaucracy. They're simply working from a checklist, and holding up the petition until all of the boxes have been ticked.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Send a letter to USCIS notifying that you've fired your attorney, and are withdrawing the G-28. If you're hiring a different attorney then just let your new attorney file a new G-28, which will supersede the previous one. You can even file a G-28 making yourself the representative, but USCIS sometimes kicks about this because they are of the mind that the G-28 is primarily for attorneys. However, 8 CFR, section 292.1(a)(3) specifically allows it, provided you meet a few conditions.

Meh. Making them dig up a bunch of documents which aren't needed for the initial petition filing, and not instructing them to provide documents that are required, is a needless waste of time. They could easily figure out which documents they'll need for the petition stage during the initial interview or questionnaire. Once those documents are provided and the petition has been filed, they could begin working on documents needed for the visa application.

Asking them to provide up front a bunch of documents that are not needed for the petition, and may never be needed at any point in the process, is worse than USCIS/DoS bureaucracy. They're simply working from a checklist, and holding up the petition until all of the boxes have been ticked.

That's possible but you were not a fly on the wall during the initial interview. Of course, there's no excuse for not requesting documents that WILL be needed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like JohnnyQuest either used an attorney or service himself, or is an attorney!...

One cannot argue the lunacy of paying someone else a premium to fill out a few basic forms and assemble a simple package. Not with this resource available, which literally spells out the requirements. Sure, some say they just don't have the time. But why are these always the first people to complain when it goes awry?

No matter how kind-hearted or well-intentioned an attorney or service-provider is, he/she will not have the same interest vested in it that you do. Period. Stories abound corroborating that, including this one.

Sure, there are attorneys and others that will gladly accept a bloated fee and provide a fast, efficient service -- but why pay for it? It's a perfect example of blind consumerism.

I liken it to paying someone $200 at the register of a grocery store to pull your wallet out of your pocket, swipe your credit card, sign the receipt, and carry your groceries to your car. That sounds downright silly. So why are folks paying $800-$1500 for a petition?

Most will agree that the best way to tackle a K-1/CR-1/AOS is to educate yourself and take ownership of the process.

I don't know where the OP currently stands, but she has the right idea. Unfortunately, it appears it might be too late to recover the lost fees.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sounds like JohnnyQuest either used an attorney or service himself, or is an attorney!...

One cannot argue the lunacy of paying someone else a premium to fill out a few basic forms and assemble a simple package. Not with this resource available, which literally spells out the requirements. Sure, some say they just don't have the time. But why are these always the first people to complain when it goes awry?

No matter how kind-hearted or well-intentioned an attorney or service-provider is, he/she will not have the same interest vested in it that you do. Period. Stories abound corroborating that, including this one.

Sure, there are attorneys and others that will gladly accept a bloated fee and provide a fast, efficient service -- but why pay for it? It's a perfect example of blind consumerism.

I liken it to paying someone $200 at the register of a grocery store to pull your wallet out of your pocket, swipe your credit card, sign the receipt, and carry your groceries to your car. That sounds downright silly. So why are folks paying $800-$1500 for a petition?

Most will agree that the best way to tackle a K-1/CR-1/AOS is to educate yourself and take ownership of the process.

I don't know where the OP currently stands, but she has the right idea. Unfortunately, it appears it might be too late to recover the lost fees.

Exactly!

:thumbs:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

yup,from the start i told him that we dont need no lawyer,and i was right,i just dont want to throw this in his face and be like 'i told you so'

event.png

K-1 Visa

thats exactly how i feel,it just makes me sad coz of the lost money,he could have visited me instead and coz of the wasted time,everything could have been sent out weeks ago,but no, need this paper,need that paper, it just drives me nuts coz all what she is asking is not necesarry for the initial application, i explained that to my fiance,well hopefully it will be sent out next week.

event.png

K-1 Visa

JohnnyQuest has always handled his own paperwork.

JohnnyQuest has always consulted with an attorney while doing so.

thats exactly how i feel,it just makes me sad coz of the lost money,he could have visited me instead and coz of the wasted time,everything could have been sent out weeks ago,but no, need this paper,need that paper, it just drives me nuts coz all what she is asking is not necesarry for the initial application, i explained that to my fiance,well hopefully it will be sent out next week.

I hope you and your fiance have an honest sit-down before you marry about finances.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

One can argue it, for an number of reasons. Some people are overwhelmed by the process - my ex husband is paying a firm to handle his Canadian immigration. And he still can't get the bits that he needs to take care of straight!

And the ones who pay someone to handle it have every right to complain when it goes awry. You complain if your hairdresser doesn't give you the cut that you wanted. You complain when you get your car serviced and a problem persists. You pay these professionals to do something that you don't feel capable of doing yourself. You expect a standard of service and complain if you don't get it.

Sounds like the issue here is more relationship based than what the heck the lawyer is doing. While I agree that it's very frustrating for the petition submission to be delayed by requesting documents that aren't needed prior to filing, when the gathering of said documents could be done while the petition is doing it's time at the service center, the fact that this couple can't agree on how best to proceed and/or spend their available funds is what the energy should be concentrated on.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

JohnnyQuest has always handled his own paperwork.

JohnnyQuest has always consulted with an attorney while doing so.

I hope you and your fiance have an honest sit-down before you marry about finances.

sound like a smart man to me :)

90 days after im in USA to do it :) no but seriously,thats the only thing i dont like talking about.

Edited by cottoneye1

event.png

K-1 Visa

the fact that this couple can't agree on how best to proceed and/or spend their available funds is what the energy should be concentrated on.

1st he paid the lawyer using his own money, 2nd i see your point, 3rd it makes me really sad .

event.png

K-1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.