Lorenzo

it ain't over until it's over

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I seem to remember reading an article by an immigration attorney saying that you should not expect to be through with immigration even when you obtain your US citizenship. I thought it was an interesting article and was hoping he was incorrect. My wife received her naturalization last July, but her son is still a citizen of Ukraine. He is 19 now so this is his choice.

Do any of you have a reference to the article? Wish I would have bookmarked it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There was a story on 60 Minutes about a woman who had gained citizenship via marriage, but it was found out much later to be a sham marriage, and she had her citizenship revoked because of that, it seems. (The story was about something bigger, but that was part of it.)

So, I guess it's not set in stone!

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I saw the piece on 60 minutes as well. It has been mentioned here before that if for some reason USCIS finds out that you lied at some point during the immigration process, they do have the right to 'de-naturalize ' you. If you haven't lied, I doubt you'll ever hear from immigration again.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

http://www.newcitizen.us/losing.html

Some reasons citizship could be revoked :crying:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I noticed this: if you lied during the naturalization process, a Federal Judge can revoke your citizenship. Yet if somebody lied during their GC process, the time limit is 5 years. So if you become a USC after 5 years, your "mistakes" as a LPR have timed out.

Losing one's citizenship is so rare, it's almost non-existent. If you become a terrorist working against the US, you have probably other problems than keeping your US citizenship, would be my guess. But about 2 years ago, there was this case of a 92 year-old woman from Northern California, who, as they found out, worked as a prison guard in Germany during the time of the Nazi regime (which means all prison guards worked in Nazi prisons by default). She was stripped of her US citizenship and deported. She died a few weeks later.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Certainly a huge difference between being born or naturalized here, U.S. War Veterans Fight Deportation and that other bit about being forced to have a dual nationality with your place of birth in large print on your US passport. Does put a naturalized citizen in an iffy position.

Read elsewhere on the web where some odd 4,000 naturalized citizens are facing deportation, but can't find the link now. Mostly due to withholding information on their N-400 or lying, whichever you prefer. As a naturalized citizen, you have to be extra good, course, also have to be good as a born citizen unless you like living in jail. Or can find yourself walking if you exceed the speed limit by 20 mph, and easy to do if leaving a ten mile long one block wide Wisconsin town with a 25 mph limit and see a 55 mph sign ahead, and start to speed up before passing that sign. We are a country of laws. And you better damn well pay your taxes.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A co-worker has a wife from England. She'd been here over 12 years IIRC, teenage kid together, working. But a couple years after 9-11 she found a notice to appear in the mail. She had to provide records she had thrown away of something... I think a birth certificate had been lost???

Anyway, it was a big hassle, time lost from work, almost lost job, family in England lost time too digging for docs. His wife was not deported in the end.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.